ccowden

Left Laners and L.L.S.

Most of my work commute and travel is spent on 4 lane roads, and I have noticed an increase in people staying in the left lane for anything other than the purpose of passing. There are the people who just say "F*ck you, I will stay in this lane whether you like it or not!" (Left Laners) and there are the people who truly believe there is a reason for them to be in the left lane, even though they are not passing anyone. These people have L.L.S. or Left Lane Syndrome.

I think the number of Left Laners stays about the same from year to year, but I can't really explain the increase in the number of people with L.L.S. but I think we need to find out what is causing this before we have a real problem on our hands. With more and more people staying in the left lane because they really do think they belong there and not being aware of the congestion and potential accidents they are causing, I believe there is a direct link to the number of cases of road rage and gang violence, maybe even abortions. (I haven't been able to prove the latter as of yet.) At any rate, there IS a problem and society as a whole seems to want to turn a blind eye to it, which I believe is a ticking time bomb.

L.L.S. is a disease and it needs to be taken seriously. These people with L.L.S. feel the need to get in the left lane whenever it is available and then, once there, have the false belief that it makes sense for them to stay there even when there is no good reason for it. This is a very dangerous situation. It is becuase they have this false belief and are unaware of the problems they are causing, that they don't see how potentially dangerous it is for them to stay there by creating traffic congestion and creating road rage in other motorists.

I don't know what the answer is. Maybe we all need to go back to Driver's Education to learn what the proper use of the left lane is, maybe we need to start ticketing people for improper use, I am just not sure. But we can start by admitting there is a problem and do our own part to make sure the road side bombs don't start because of this. (I am quite sure it will lead to this.)

Awareness of this disease is the first step. I hope this post helps atleast a few people to think about this disease and problem in society. A disease we can no longer pretend does not exist.

Please join me in the fight against this awful disease and to GET THE F*CK OVER IF YOU ARE NOT PASSING!!

:)

hate those guys. even when there are 4 lanes, they're over in the left lane. i'll follow them for about 3.8 seconds, flash my brights (like anyone knows what that means in north america), then pass them on the right.

keep right except to pass!
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

hate those guys. even when there are 4 lanes, they're over in the left lane. i'll follow them for about 3.8 seconds, flash my brights (like anyone knows what that means in north america), then pass them on the right.

keep right except to pass!

First, i HATE people who drive in the left lane for anything other than passing. However, if i am in the left lane passing someone, and those ASSHATS come up behind me and flash their lights, guess what, i will slow down and stay next to the car to my right.:P Now, to be fair, if i for some reason have passed someone and then just space out or something and didn't move back to the right, well then flash all you want, i will move back over and give an apologetic wave.;):D

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

I've said it before, but I wish that cruise control was automatically disabled in the left lane. It kills me to be stuck behind someone in the left lane pacing the other traffic. Slower traffic keep right!!!
I am not the man. But the man knows my name...and he's worried

Here in ATL there are no laws on the freeway, might as well call it the free-for-all.
speed limits, what are those?
HOV lane? not if you think b/c you drive and Escalade you derserve to be blocking all the carpooling folks behind you.
Left lane? thats where the slow people are, if ya wanna go fast get in the right lane. (really, it happens all the time)

Back in Arkansas, they had a law about impeding traffic in the left lane, but b/c the fine was less than most other offenses it was never enforced.

If youre in the left lane, lead, follow, or get the fuck outta my way!B|
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

I spend enough time on the road... and have come to the conclusion that getting annoyed @ other drivers is completely pointless and accomplishes nothing save for raising my blood pressure (which is already high enough as it is...)

FWIW: I don't regularly drive in the Left Lane and if I find myself in it I'll move back into the right lane.
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Pass them on the right, then cut them off, then jam on your breaks...that will teach them a lesson. If they try to do the same to you cut them off again and repeat the steps mentioned above. :)

No, no, no! This doesn't help!

L.L.S. affects people who BELIEVE they have a reason to be in the left lane, but also affects people who contribute to the problem by fueling the disease and giving people with L.L.S. more reason to think they should stay in the left lane. You see, THEY DON'T GET IT. So, by you cutting them off and slamming on your brakes, it just causes more confusion to a person stuggling with L.L.S. All they see is some jerk cutting them off for no apparent reason. Thus they believe it is better to stay in the left lane as a way to avoid those crazy drivers.

flash my brights (like anyone knows what that means in north america)

People around here get pissed for some reason when you do that. Like it's an insult or something... I dunno.

But yeah, stop trying to fix the problem - those of us in a hurry just get to use the right lane. I drive pretty fast, and I spend about 90% of my time in the right lane on my way to and from work because there's about 1 car every 200 yards in the right lane. There's about 5 in the middle, and 40 in the left.
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

those of us in a hurry just get to use the right lane

I was really surprised when I took thee AZ driver's test when we got here... You're allowed to pass on the right here if there are 2 or more lanes on your side. In everyother place I've lived, passing on the right was illegal...
Remster

In europe flashing your lights is impolite, using your left blinker (sometimes works in the states) is not. Thats usually my first resort. But I am contemplating reinforcing my side mirrors and using them to break off the mirrors of people suffering from llc as I pass them on the right.;)
Pointy birds
Oh pointy pointy
Anoint my head
Anointy nointy