NlghtJumper

Do you smoke?

"all it does is increase your chance of premature death by cancer"

Doesn't EVERYTHING in this day and age do that? I have had so many friends pass away from Cancer that did not smoke, its a joke any more. Sorry, I just KNEW someone would throw that out there.

Bobbi
A miracle is not defined by an event. A miracle is defined by gratitude.

As of eight hours ago, not anymore. B|

Geez, what am I gonna' have to look forward to watching after sex? I just wanted to watch you smoke...lol...
TripleF
(see...if ya' hadn't told me to keep posting on here, I'd have never said that....lol)

"Upon seeing the shadow of a pigeon, one must resist the urge to look up."

I'm suprised that with 96 votes in that non smoking is a greater percentage than smokers. Seems like everyone at the dropzone lights up. Maybe its just my aversion to it that makes it seem everyone smokes.

It will be interesting to see how this poll pans out in the long run.

As of eight hours ago, not anymore.

:o No way! I am absolutely thrilled to hear that, Lisa! I'm so proud of you and know you can do it! B|
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

"all it does is increase your chance of premature death by cancer"

Doesn't EVERYTHING in this day and age do that? I have had so many friends pass away from Cancer that did not smoke, its a joke any more. Sorry, I just KNEW someone would throw that out there.

Do you take offense by my statement? Where's your point, that it doesn't make a difference if you smoke or not, because everyone dies anyway, for reasons we cannot influence?
I'm not saying that people who don't smoke will be guaranteed to live longer, I said non-smokers have a higher chance of not dying by lung cancer. That's not a joke, it's the truth. :|

Ich betrachte die Religion als Krankheit, als Quelle unnennbaren Elends für die menschliche Rasse.
(Bertrand Russell, engl. Philosoph, 1872-1970)

I use to be very against it. Then one day I was really stressed out to the point of breaking. So my friend offered me one. I figured "why not? not like anything else could possibly go wrong". I went thru the usual coughing and everything, but got use to it. I quit for Basic and AIT, and due to certain NCO's I had to deal with, picked it back up. I don't plan on doing it forever. Just currently it seems that though it slowly shortens my life span, it significantly increases others...

1- "not like anything else could possibly go wrong" is ridiculous. How about bad smelling hair, clothes, breath? How about lung and heart disease? How about ugly yellow teeth?

You were awful short-sighted to think that just because other things were going wrong, smoking could not pile more on top of that.

2- Isn't smoking because there was stress in your life a form of giving up, capitulating, being weak, admitting you just can't handle life? I don't mean to pick on you, but it really seems like you're using stress as an excuse. You can get through Basic and AIT WITHOUT cigs, but then some pissant NCO got you so worked that you had to smoke to deal with it? Come on...

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

Just curious. If yes, plz state why you feel the need to.

I started smoking at a very early age--about the time my thyroid started to fail.

When I became symptomatic with Hashimoto's thyroiditis, I was successful in quitting during a couple of the longer hyper episodes, but both times (once after 4 years and again after 2.5 years), I started again. The last time I spontaneously quit was last year when the doctor put me on 25 ug Cytomel along with Synthroid. That lasted for three months. She then lowered the dose, and I immediately started smoking again.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2003/11/12/nicotine_studied_as_treatment_for_brain_disorders/

I do also note that I have much less desire to smoke when my dopamine levels are high.

rl

I uh, haven't checked my dopamine levels lately, but my desire to smoke is always nil.

Nothing like compounding health problems with another source of likely health problems. :S

Or are you saying that your thyroid disease causes you to need nicotine? Or are you one of those people who claims that they just looooove the "taste" of a cigarette?

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

I uh, haven't checked my dopamine levels lately, but my desire to smoke is always nil.

Good for you.

Nothing like compounding health problems with another source of likely health problems. :S

Or are you saying that your thyroid disease causes you to need nicotine? Or are you one of those people who claims that they just looooove the "taste" of a cigarette?

Why do you care? I answered the question Night Jumper asked. I didn't volunteer to address your sarcasm.

Are you on a quest to save the world from nicotine? Perhaps you should read the link I posted.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

No, my Mum & Dad were both smokers. I really didnt understand why they did it. It was filthy. Keep going to the shops to buy some more, stunk. Looked really tramp like.

Ive never even tried, I guess the reason for that is I was scared. I knew it was addictive and was scared thining I'd instantly get hooked. Naive young kids thought maybe, but it protected me!

I have the same attitude now and going through school seeing the so called 'fit lads' gradually start doing shit at sports like cross country it gave me even greater enjoyment not smoking!

My Dad left home and my Mum stopped smoking. You really see just how cool it is when you start painting what you thought was a white ceiling, or wash the curtians and see the colour of the water in the washing machine. Fucking minging! :D:)

Also I dont understand the 'i live a stressful lifestyle' argument. Your feeding it yourself. Dont you realise that? Plenty of people have a stressful lifestyle. If your saying you cant cope without having a smoke everytime something gets a bit griefy I think that says something about your personality/charachter.

Why do you care? I answered the question Night Jumper asked. I didn't volunteer to address your sarcasm.

Quite well put ;)

A man will do anything for the right woman,
and when that woman destroys him,
that man will become a hunk of meat with the common sense of a rodeo clown! ~ Christopher Titus

I think that says something about your personality/charachter.

What exactly does smoking say about someone's character?

Throwing one's butts out the car window says something about one's character. Inflicting one's smoke on non-smokers says something about one's character.

But smoking itself? I think it says a lot more about someone's biochemistry than it does about one's character.

Did anyone read the link I posted?

On another note, our office administrator, who is my age, just had a small, cancerous tumor removed from her lung. It was only luck that they found it--she was not symptomatic and she has no known risk factors for lung cancer, except possible radon exposure. She has never, ever smoked even one cigarette.

My grandmother, on the other hand, has smoked occasionally, and lived for more than 50 years in a house with a heavy smoker who had a heart attack after he quit smoking and put on 50 pounds. He's dead. She just turned...it's either 99 or a 100, I can't remember, and her physical health is perfect.

I think that cigarettes are highly overrated as a cause of lung cancer, and that it is more a combination of genes, diet and exposure to radon that we need to worry about.

I'm not saying that there are not risks from smoking, not by any means, but I do think we give it far more importance than it deserves as a cause for cancer.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

Also I don't understand the 'i live a stressful lifestyle' argument. Your feeding it yourself. Don't you realise that? Plenty of people have a stressful lifestyle. If your saying you cant cope without having a smoke every time something gets a bit griefy I think that says something about your personality/character.

I hear this quite often. "How can smoking help you? It is nasty..." etc. etc. The truth of it is, you don't know the particulars of each person. You don't know just HOW stressful their life can be. With that, if you have never tried it [and gotten past inhalation], then you honestly have no clue how helpful it can be.

As for the guy who mentioned about how I made it thru Basic and AIT without cigarettes and now because an NCO sends some BS my way, I need to smoke. Basic and AIT was a cake walk. I was constantly told that it would be one of the hardest things I would ever do. I went thru 3 years of JROTC. I was plenty of prepared. Hell, in some subjects, I taught my fellow soldiers who were struggling. It was too easy. However this NCO tops that any day. He once had my weapon taken away for 3 weeks [in a combat zone that is a big thing] and he sent me in for a full mental evaluation because he decided to blame me for sabotage on a computer system we use for daily operations. I didn't even work that particular system during the time in question, but because in his eyes I am a "slacker and looking for a way to get out of things" and as such I automatically became suspect number one. He even tried to start an investigation, that if went the way he wanted, would have had me discharged. For someone who at the time was set on a full 20 year military career, that is a crippling blow. Especially coming from someone who is suppose to support you instead of fight you every step of the way.

Some may look at this as just complaining, and feel that it displays my true character, but until you have been in my boots, you have no clue...

that man will become a hunk of meat with the common sense of a rodeo clown! ~ Christopher Titus

Im gonna go out on a limb and say it, but then thats what speakers corner is all about... someone who has to smoke when work is getting on top of them is showing a weakness. Admittadely its caused by a chemical reliance thing but its still a weakness. Its just a socially accepted low level drug really, same as alcohol. Now that I am guilty to but its not as addictive as smoking. I dont have to go out of work to take beer breaks every hour :S

Im sorry for people that have smoked and then quit only to find theselves in another stressful situation and getting back into the habbit. For people like me it just seems alien. I hope you understand that.

I am amazed by the amount of skydivers that smoke and therefore have put on my flame proof pants.

I'm not saying that people who don't smoke will be guaranteed to live longer, I said non-smokers have a higher chance of not dying by lung cancer. That's not a joke, it's the truth. :|

Cancer can be caused by too many things these days. Do you have a cell phone? Those are said to cause cancer. Do you cover up completely when you go out into the sun to prevent skin cancer? I doubt it. Why live in fear of something that has thousands of ways of getting to you? As RL said, the cancer arguement is overrated...

someone who has to smoke when work is getting on top of them is showing a weakness. ***

Who doesn't have a weakness? Or a reliance on something? As for the more socially acceptable, try walking down the street now days without people giving you nasty looks. We are secluded to our little boxes. How is that socially accepted?

Im gonna go out on a limb and say it, but then thats what speakers corner is all about... someone who has to smoke when work is getting on top of them is showing a weakness. Admittadely its caused by a chemical reliance thing but its still a weakness. Its just a socially accepted low level drug really, same as alcohol. Now that I am guilty to but its not as addictive as smoking. I dont have to go out of work to take beer breaks every hour :S

So you think that having a biochemical disorder is a weakness or a character flaw?

I'm setting you up, Scoop. Be careful how you answer.

As for the other thing you mentioned....I've always liked the "smoke break" argument, because it totally ignores what really goes on in the workplace.

In some jobs, everyone gets specified breaks, and some people choose to smoke on their break. It's not that they get a break to smoke, it's that they get a break, just like everyone else.

In my job, the smokers can take a cigarette break when they feel like it. The non-smokers can also take a break when they feel like it, and they do. They stop for a chat, they go to the kitchen and get a snack, they make a personal phone call. I don't do any of those things, I just have a cigarette--once in the morning and once in the afternoon--and it takes a whole lot less of my day than what everyone else spends on their breaks.

very easy to say that though.. some people find it impossible to cope in such circumsatcnes... no matter how hard they try.

That not their fault

I agree. Like I said, until you have been in their shoes, then you just can't comprehend what they are going thru.

Oh, and because I forgot to post it earlier...
CONGRATS LISA! GOOD LUCK!

Well if I was an employer Id be fucked off if everytime the workload increased they became all stressy and it would be sad to see them wasting there breaks having a cigarette.

I used to work in a tall building and we got 5 min break every hour. There was no smoking allowed in the building so they had to go on a charge out the building from the 8th floor (thats my idea of a tall building :D), have a smoke like they were on some kind of timed gameshow and run back in the building.

Im a bit of an ass so I probably dont put across what im saying very well but I would hate to be a slave to that product. Nightjumper stated that you dont know what someones circumstances were at the time but to me, it just looks like the disadvantages outweigh the benefits. Think how much your paying the tax man for one!

No i don't take offense to your post. Yeah, I don't discount what the studies show. i'm just saying your gonna die from something.

My point being is this...you can get Cancer whether you smoke or not. You never mentioned LUNG cancer in your last post. The joke being that you could be the healthiest person going and still get hit by some horrible malady

Bobbi.
A miracle is not defined by an event. A miracle is defined by gratitude.

Think how much your paying the tax man for one!

But... I dont pay taxes... [:/]
Deployments waves any federal taxes, and AAFES waves any sales taxes..