dixieskydiver

Chilling Beer

I was watching Mythbusters the other night and they were busting an interesting myth about burying beer in sand and then lighting gasoline on top. Anyway they went ahead and compared a cooler full of ice, a cooler of ice and water, a cooler of ice, water and salt as well as the fridge and the freezer all for five minutes to see which chilled beer the fastest. Anyway I won't get into the technical details of why but if you need to chill beer fast the ice+water+salt thing REALLY does the trick.

Dixie
HISPA #56 Facil Rodriguez
"Scientific research has shown that 60% of the time, it works every time."

>but if you need to chill beer fast the ice+water+salt thing REALLY
>does the trick.

I would add that that works best when the ice starts out BELOW freezing, like right when you take it out of the freezer. Otherwise you don't get all the benefit of the depressed melting point.

Also if you have a fire extinguisher to waste then that does the job even more quickly and effectively. Or if you work in a lab like I do and have ready access to liquid nitrogen :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Dixie

[replyI would add that that works best when the ice starts out BELOW freezing

where can i find some of this mystical "below freezing ice", mine is all above freezing.

If its above freezing isn't it therefore water and not ice?

Dixie

Salt will also help you boil things quicker. Thats a trick that my mom taught me...

It may make it boil faster, but your water wont be as hot. Kinda sucks if you need it at 100c.

He meant cook faster. Adding salt raises the boiling temperaure, which means the food is cooking at a higher temperature.

The reasion why salt helps to keep it cooler is because the salt lowers the freezing point of the water. It then will make the ice that is colder than 32 degrees F melt which then makes the water and the beer colder. If you want a really cold beer though you need some liquid Nitrogen
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

The fastest I've been able to cool a beer is by spinning it on a pile of ice cubes. Sure it takes a little effort, but it's WAY faster than just putting it in ice, ice water, or a freezer. Done properly, I'd say 2-3 minutes per beer.

That said, the better solution is to just drink better beer that tastes good at warmer temperatures. ;)

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I was watching Mythbusters the other night and they were busting an interesting myth about burying beer in sand and then lighting gasoline on top. Anyway they went ahead and compared a cooler full of ice, a cooler of ice and water, a cooler of ice, water and salt as well as the fridge and the freezer all for five minutes to see which chilled beer the fastest. Anyway I won't get into the technical details of why but if you need to chill beer fast the ice+water+salt thing REALLY does the trick.

Check out this link.

For Great Deals on Gear