narcimund

Apostrophe's

... Or immediately after clicking "Post Reply".

And that's why I think the "Edit" link is a Godsend...:)
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Yeah yeah yeah.....I got it.... :D

Well at least you did!!

I think it was Dave Barry who wrote an article about close-captioning for the humor-impaired. Evidently he keeps getting fiery letters from people who take his humor column seriously.:P
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Fortunately, language is defined by usage, so whatever "looks right" to you and enough readers is "correct". It is a myth that there is a right and wrong way to speak or write.

This is very often true. However, I often see words being used incorrectly on these forums, sometimes completely changing the meaning of what the author tried to convey.
A common example is the word 'decent', as in: "My decent speed was about 120 mph."

While that is a pretty decent speed, I would like to know what the descent speed was before making a call.

Another word used incorrectly quite frequently is 'advise'. Please be advised that advice is the noun and advise is the verb.

"Here, here" means "This place" while "Hear, hear" means "I agree with you and endorse what you said".

For all the aspirant TMs out there: It is 'Drogue', not 'Drouge'.

And for all the aspirant body-piercers out there: It is 'Tongue', not 'Tounge'.

This post is really just a 'bump' as a reminder.

that's about as bad as you can get, using a double negative, and then misspelling the word "no."

There's a quadruple negative in the blues song "Parchman Farm": Well I'm sitting over here on the Parchman Farm,
Ain't never done no man no harm."

What's wrong with double or triple negatives? :)
If Chaucer (and many other fathers of English language) used them, they cannot be wrong... ;)

Double (or triple) negatives were commonly used until 18th century to emphasize the meaning (2xno means NO!, etc.) in very high literary texts. Some dork just came up with the idea of double negatives being un-logical or incorrect a bit over 200 years ago.
:D

got one for ya:

We have a furniture store with a large lit sign reading "Dillon Interior's"

WTF? What possessed ;) them to OK the proof?

Dave

Three blocks from me is a place with a large painted sign on the side of the building, at second-floor level, that reads: "Classic Chandaliers."

The local paper ran a story once recently about misspellings like that in obvious and public places, particularly on store signs. They had a quote from the store's owner, saying that they "wanted it that way."

How full of shit do you have to be to lie like that when you know you're being quoted for a newspaper?

I know the guy was lying because I just looked up their listing in the yellow pages and it's spelled correctely ("chandeliers") there!

Man, the lengths some people will go to because they're too petty and small to admit they had made a mistake...

---Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

Is it correct to put the apostrophe afterwards, as in:

"I cut off all of the cats' tails"

Yes...

If you said "...all of the cat's tails" then that would indicate you removed many tails from one cat. Which is a humorous image!

Yes, in fact, it sounds rather... Lovecraftian.
i.e. the Goat with a Thousand Young... The Cat with a Thousand Tails...

Spooooky...

---Jeffrey
(edit: Oops! My contacts are drying out. I had thought you'd written "humongous" image!)
-Jeffrey

that's about as bad as you can get, using a double negative, and then misspelling the word "no."

There's a quadruple negative in the blues song "Parchman Farm": Well I'm sitting over here on the Parchman Farm,
Ain't never done no man no harm."

What's wrong with double or triple negatives? :)
If Chaucer (and many other fathers of English language) used them, they cannot be wrong... ;)

Double (or triple) negatives were commonly used until 18th century to emphasize the meaning (2xno means NO!, etc.) in very high literary texts. Some dork just came up with the idea of double negatives being un-logical or incorrect a bit over 200 years ago.
:D

I never didn't fail to ever hear that they used to commonly use triple negatives! That didn't fail to not fail to be news to me!

If you think of any other linguistic anomalies, please don't make sure to not forget to fail to send them our way, okay?

P.S. I think those song lyrics mean that there isn't any man that speaker has not harmed at least slightly. Busy guy!

---Jeffrey
-Jeffrey

'Bad' spelling and punctuation bug me too. And then it bugs me that I'm being anal about it! Languages do constantly evolve and from that point of view maybe we shouldn't try to stifle the process: in theory evolution is change for the good, making language more efficient and easy to use. I think part of the reason that the apostrophe has become so popular is that it often simplifies plurals. Cherries, apples and potatoes become cherry's, apple's and potato's. Forget the complicated rules about plural spellings - if in doubt, just add an apostrophe followed by an 's'.:)

Hmm... now the next time I see some terrible spelling and grammar I just need to remind myself - it's all good. It's just the language evolving. [:/]

It is also bad luck to break a brake line when you flare, making it hard to land with flair.

Some more:

Those who jump off a bridge in Paris are in Seine.

A backward poet writes inverse.

A man's home is his castle, in a manor of speaking.

Practice safe eating - always use condiments.

Shotgun wedding: A case of wife or death.

A man needs a mistress just to break the monogamy.

A hangover is the wrath of grapes.

Dancing cheek-to-cheek is really a form of floor play.

Does the name Pavlov ring a bell?

Condoms should be used on every conceivable occasion.

When two egotists meet, it's an I for an I.

A bicycle can't stand on its own because it is two tired.

What's the definition of a will? (It's a dead giveaway.)

In democracy your vote counts. In feudalism your count votes.

A chicken crossing the road is poultry in motion.

If you don't pay your exorcist, you get repossessed.

The man who fell into an upholstery machine is fully recovered.

You feel stuck with your debt if you can't budge it.

Every calendar's days are numbered.

A lot of money is tainted - It taint yours and it taint mine.

A boiled egg in the morning is hard to beat.

He had a photographic memory that was never developed.

A plateau is a high form of flattery.

A midget fortune-teller who escapes from prison is a small medium at large.

Bakers trade bread recipes on a knead-to-know basis.

Santa's helpers are subordinate clauses