vleisie

Chronicle III - low pull

A freefly coach dive. Loss of altitude awareness. No AAD. Note that when the one who pulled first noticed the ground as he went to a stand, layed out forward and pulled. The videographer turned over and panic pulled, and landed prior to the canopy fully inflating Slider part way up as you can see in the shadow.

The audio portion isn't played there. The Videographer stood up fell down then says quite loudly. " I fucked up, Oh I fucked up I'm sorry, I fucked up" (not verbatum but almost)

He's ok but was broken up a little bit. That was played in our AFF certification course sound and all. It's enlightening.

To those who think they will pull the reserve first when they find themselves low, that's an eye opener. You can guess the out come had the person he video taped noticed the ground less than one second later.

Impressive video huh?
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

To those who think they will pull the reserve first when they find themselves low, that's an eye opener. You can guess the out come had the person he video taped noticed the ground less than one second later.

I'm glad you bring this up because it's easy for people to say they'd go for silver. But how do they know if they've never really found themselves low in the basement?

Impressive video huh?

A shit, I seem to have a lot of the other videos. How come I don't have this one? I guess I've got a reason to pick it up now huh? ;)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Wow I know this is an old thread, but I know the guy who did it. No student. It happened at the Ranch. I jump with the "low puller". Of course altitude awareness is a good thing. Sometimes we lose it.

Did you check out the slider in the shadow on the ground. Isn't even down all the way. You know my buddy, if you ever meet him, has this ongoing ice breaker. He says he was 6' tall before that incident. Now hi is like 5'3"

Love ya' F.
Captain Kim

I'm glad you bring this up because it's easy for people to say they'd go for silver. But how do they know if they've never really found themselves low in the basement?

Haven't seen the video yet (is it at skydivingmovies.com ?), but will try to find it. Friendly little Mr. Hackeysack is easy to find, so easy we don't even look for him because we already know where he is. Compare that with your reserve handle, you have to actually LOOK for that. Pulling the reserve handle is NOT a part of normal events. It's one reason why there are so many two out situations. You can train for it, you can practice, but when the shit hits the fan, who knows ? I don't honestly know if there's even an answer to the dilemma, because we're talking about instinct taking over. And instinct trusts muscle memory more than looking for something else. Curious creatures, we humans...

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !