nws01

GTA:London

According to an alleged employee of Rockstar North in Glasgow, Scotland, the next installment in the GTA series "will be titled Grand Theft Auto: London and will take place in the Great City of London in 1997."

If true, this sounds suspiciously like Rockstar trying to claim the "Great City" back from Sony's supposed usurpers to the crime-drivin' throne. Also, if you recall, there was a PC expansion to the first GTA in 1999 called Grand Theft Auto: London 1969, so this is either a bad rumor or a likely remake of old material.

We here at Joystiq hear a lot of crazy rumors about games, of course, but we sometimes wonder what to make of anonymous tipsters who claim to work for certain "developers of interest." Read on for the other details we received, and make the decision for yourself.

According to our source (who admittedly doesn't have the most perfect spelling), the "3 Island" system will be replaced by a new "North, East, South, West" system, and the main character will be an ex-gangster starting off in the "rough-and-tumble east end of London." Unlocked regions are to include the North End, South End, and West End, in order. The game is supposed to be about 60% finished, with the graphics and physics engines both completed. The focus is now mainly on the game's story component. The game is currently set to launch with the Playstation 3 in North America and Europe in Q4 2006. With about a year's work already done, the PlayStation 3's "fantastic graphical power" should provide some better horsepower under the hood of the sandbox series.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if it is true. If you think about it, it does make sense. GTA liberty city, Vice city and san andreas.... were all islands on the original game. GTA london was the next possible 'island' or 'area' wasn't it? My friend guessed the 3rd one for the PS2 would be San Andreas while Vice city was out, because of the island naming system from the original game.

No one knows what the next GTA will be about other than Dan and Sam Houser and a few key people at Rock*. The guy who wrote the rumour can't even spell properly - you think he would be working on the next biggest game of the decade? Don't think so. Also NDA's are notoriously tight - if you break one, you are looking at financial ruin and the end of your development career - doubt some guy who claimed to work for Rockstar would risk all this, especially as it wouldn't take anyone who worked with him if he had worked there, more than 2 mins to figure out what is coming.

Rumours like this have been flying around since before San Andreas.

What has been confirmed is that GTA:Liberty Cities is coming to current gen consoles this year.

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

so we could discover BASE exits in London

At last....we will be able to jump the BT Tower !!!
That sucker looms up large on me everyday on my way to work....
It teases me and talks to me I swear....and I'm not even a BASE jumper !

(Will site naming be forbidden if you do it on the game ?)