heavydude

Hook Knife Position

Kind of curious about mounting position of hook knife. Assuming normal Belly Flying what is most common position for mounting: cheststrap ? I have also seen some dudes mount hookknifes in pockets on swoop pants, seems like a cool idea if you jump different rigs.

I can't speak for what is common but I can tell you what I've seen. A lot of people like to put them on their mudflaps or chest straps. Also some people put them on their legs.

It makes sense to go low and put it on your legs. In a hard spin under canopy it's probably easier to reach down than to fight g-forces and reach up for the knife.

Try to position your hook knife so that it can be reached with either hand even if it means wearing 2. I have one in a pouch on my left leg and one on my chest strap........................J.....................
" 90 right, five miles then cut."---Pukin Buzzards

Likewise, but right leg and chest strap facing left. I thought about getting one on each leg, then thought about how embarrassing it would be if my legs got wrapped :S. One low, one high, one left, one right...

[edit: While we're at it, get a proper hook knife. A razor blade screwed to a piece of plastic probably doesn't count. They've broken in use before!]

--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Lyle Waddell (Bronze medal winner at a World Meet with the Plaid Jackets Canopy Formation Team) told me that hook knives are best worn on the chest and should be easily accessible by both hands.
Part of Lyle's logic is that he likes to - pull his arms in to - protect his handles (release and reserve) during the early stages of a wrap, but more importantly, he likes to protect neck against line burns.
Then he tries to push the mess of fabric above or below his face to see what is happening.Then he decides whether to release or knife away and communicates with his wrap-mate.

Oh! And if you plan on colliding with team-mates, wear more than one hook knife.

I vote for 2 knives too, one left one right and one low one high. Besides, you may very well drop the first knife when you need it :S and get decent knives, not the orange crappy ones, those'll do you no good should you need 'em. The square1 knives are pretty good and not that expensive.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I wore a hook knife on the front of my jumpsuit for over 25 years. (see attachments) This was during CREW, RW, limited FF and testing. As mentioned before, you can see it and reach it with both hands. Just as important, have a plan before you reach for it.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Likewise, but right leg and chest strap facing left. I thought about getting one on each leg, then thought about how embarrassing it would be if my legs got wrapped :S. One low, one high, one left, one right...

[edit: While we're at it, get a proper hook knife. A razor blade screwed to a piece of plastic probably doesn't count. They've broken in use before!]

yup

Thanks for the info, the idea of two knives really makes sense to me. I think I will go with one on leg pocket and one on cheststrap. By the way I just got the square 1 catalog and it had a interesting article about double bladed vs single bladed knives, dual blades being easily clogged. For the single knife I had on my rig I had a metal Sq 1 knife. I will add another in pocket.:)

Knives are great anywhere. Where as many as you can!lol Two is a good number. Each in a different location. One up high, and maybe one down low. You never know. You might drop one, it's a good idea to have 2. I know a guy that dropped one and his 2nd saved his life.... Put them where ever is clever for you!
Make the most of what ya got!