Hackb431

Bulldog puppies

Anyone know a good place to find Bulldog Puppies in the greater Atlanta area that do not cost a friggin Ka-jillion dollars?

I mean seriously $1000+ for a dog. That's like an hour in the wind tunnel and 20 jump tickets to altitude!
HackB A.K.A. "Puppy"

Bulldogs are expensive. If you ever happen to find one for less than $1000, you will definitely pay a lot more than that in vet bills. Cheaper bulldogs are usually bred very poorly. If you do decide to get one, please do your research, they are VERY expensive. But they are the absolute best dogs in the world.

Here's a good site to go to, the forums have great info:

bulldogdomain.com

Check out my cute bulldog!

I have not been in the air since the Hog Flop....Soon I will return (hopefully) Hey did you do the Superhero quiz yet? Much fun!

Thanks for the info Shelly belly. I know they are wicked expensive so I was hoping to find a fellow jumper that had a soft heart and a big litter.
HackB A.K.A. "Puppy"

Ooooh.... a bulldog thread. :)

We got a friend deal on her from a co-worker for $1500. I think the rest of her litter went for $1800 for males, $2200 for females. And yes, we've spent well over her purchase price on vet bills...fairly common with bulldogs. That said, I don't know if I've ever met anyone as capable of making me laugh, quickly, even when I'm down. :D

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I have been wanting a Bulldog for a VERY long time... They are the greatest dogs!

I, personally, want a solid white male in honor of "UGA". In case it wasn't obvious, I am a huge Georgia fan...

As far as cost, they are expensive for multiple reaasons, and not just due to popularity. For example, almost all bulldog pups have to be born by "C-section".

I do have a contact in Alabama, not too awfully far from you. I believe he charges around 1,200 - 1,500 depending on color wanted, sex, size, etc...

PM me if you would like his contact information.

I can't wait to welcome a bulldog in to our home!!!

Benjamin...we've talked about this...:P

Yes, I know...

but I want one immediately, if not sooner!!! ;)

Now that's too funny I thought Jenn was talking to me....I was like how does she know my first name and I have only jumped at the farm a few times...:ph34r:
HackB A.K.A. "Puppy"

Does anyone have experience with Olde English Bulldogges? I have heard they are bred a bit differently. They stand a few inches taller and weigh 5-10 lbs more but keep the classic look while reducing the # of inherant health problems?
HackB A.K.A. "Puppy"

FYI- Bulldogs are one of the most expensive breeds to own. The initial cost of a puppy is very high and the cost to care for one is also very high as even the well bred ones often have serious, chronic health problems.

You may want to consider a Bulldog rescue. The adoption fee is minimal and you get a wonderful pet and the knowledge that you've given a great dog a new start. Dogs of all ages and both genders are available for adoption. For more info:
http://www.americanbulldogrescue.org/

There is no difference between an "English" or "British" Bulldog and a Bulldog. Members of the breed are all simply called Bulldogs.

However, the Olde English Bulldogge is different. They were developed in the 1970s, as a recreation of the 18th-century bulldog. A French Bulldog is a separate breed, also.

If you're interested in an Olde English Bulldogge:
http://www.oldebulldogge.com/

"One out of every four American's are suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you."

Excellent point. I always try and make people aware that bulldogs are so expensive and require a lot of day-to-day maintenance. Too many bulldogs end up in rescue because people do not research well enough before getting one. Rescuing a bulldog is a great option for those who may not want to pay the intial high price of a bulldog puppy. There are so many out there that need great forever homes.

The Olde English bulldogs are bred with American bulldogs, pit bulls, or other similair breeds to try and rid some of the normal health problems such as hip displaysia, breathing, etc. They actually can be quite larger than English Bulldogs, ranging from 50-140lbs.

Where the heck have you been, Puppy?

Being poor... so no jumping. I am trying very hard to scrape by and not sell my rig but it's looking bad. I have a new job on line that just keeps getting pushed back.....

But the G/Friend makes good money and she is the on epushing for a bullie. I would prolly be happier w/ a Shiba Inu but we all know what the girl wants the girl gets....Cause if she's happy .....:o
HackB A.K.A. "Puppy"

The Olde English Bulldogge' foundation stock was 50% Bulldog combined with 50% (in equal measure) Bullmastiff, American Pit Bull Terrier and two bulldog variations.

They are no longer outcrossed with other breeds. A genuine Olde English can be traced back to the foundation stock and are from Olde English parents. Many profit oriented breeders outcross and then sell the puppy as an Olde English, which it is not.

They actually can be quite larger than English Bulldogs, ranging from 50-140lbs.

They weigh 50-90lbs as compared with a Bulldog at 45-60 lbs.

You may be right... the site I went to said 140, but that did seem awfully big to me. I think it depends on the size/type of what they mix the bullie with. But my english bullie is 75 lbs... and my friend has one that's 85.

I don't really care for how the olde english bullies look, I like the short little legs better! :D

If they outcrossed a Bullmastiff and a Bulldog they'd get a much larger dog to sell as an Olde English. A lot of puppy mills and backyard breeders do such things for profit. Hell, they even sell "registered" Cockapoo's and such as a bonafide "breed".

The weight ranges I listed are what is standard for the breed. A well bred dog should closely match the breed standard. With all breeds there can be quite a lot of variation depending on the quality of the breeding.

Seems like I found a good source for information. My main concern is that my G/F who grew up w/ a bullie is being blinded by that childhood infatuation and not thinking it through clearly.

I think the expense and vetrinarian upkeep may just be too much for us and our busy lifestyles. I grew up w/ a Husky which is prolly why I like the Shiba Inu's.
HackB A.K.A. "Puppy"

I would strongly encourage both of you to research all the attributes of a breed before deciding on one. There are lots of wonderful breeds to choose from!

If your financial situation is less than ideal, I would suggest that you wait to get any dog. The average dog costs about $1400 per year to own (not including the cost of the dog.) A high maintenance breed will be much, much higher than that.

What would your GF do if the Bulldog needs a hip replacement? The breed ranks #1 in hip dysplasia. Don't take my word for it: http://www.offa.org/hipstatbreed.html

The cost for that is about $3K per hip. (They also have a great many other serious health problems.) They're wonderful dogs, but they aren't ideal for everyone.