Rebecca

Crap. I just rescued a dog. Now what?

Not one of the more practical decisions I've ever made on the spur of the moment.

He's here, getting to know my dog, and he's so sweet.

Obviously lost - plenty of weight on him, good coat, VERY friendly, a bit dirty, broken tag.

My bf's going to freak.

NOw what?

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

Just my $.02.

Feed him, house him, put up signs for a "found dog."

If the old owner doesn't find him within a few weeks, you have a new pet.
Congrates!!!!

Unfortunatly, if you take him to the pound, things may go worse for him. Just my $.02.

Hey look, something shiney!!!!!
Goggles and Teeth

"You fall like a greased safe!!!"

feed him and bathe him and pet him until he falls asleep....then you and the new dog can figure out what to do next:P

So is that how you handle new boyfriends?
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

If he appears to have any kind of breeding lines take him to the vet and have him scanned for an implanted chip. Or look for a tattoo I.D. mark on him, like inside his ear. If all else fails I have some good recipes;)
Experience is a difficult teacher, she gives you the test first and the lesson afterward

Sigh. He's huge. Looks to be a Golden/Chow mix, and not done growing. He's been fixed too, so there's definitely hope for a chip...

He's pretty chill. Hasn't barked, avoided the cat, seems to love me.

Daisy is checking him out and they seem to be having fun... she's trying to assert her dominance, he's trying to hump her... (come to think of it, that describes quite a few dates - ah never mind)

But he's so big. At least 65-70 lbs.

I'll try to get a pic up...

OK, I don't know how to take or make smaller pics

Here's how I got him: I walked out of the gym at 7 and saw one of the trainers and another dude checking out this dog. I thought he belonged to one of them, so I walked up all, "Aww! Doggy!" and he walked straight over to me and just leaned on me. They said he was lost or abandoned and no one there would take him.

I see so many dead dogs in the street and didn't want another one to get nailed.

I don't know what to call him...

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

Start checking the classified ads for lost dogs. Stop by the vet clinics in the area and put up found dog posters. Check out the local animal shelter as well. If there is an owner out there missing his/her dog, chances are you'll find them.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Not one of the more practical decisions I've ever made on the spur of the moment.

He's here, getting to know my dog, and he's so sweet.

Obviously lost - plenty of weight on him, good coat, VERY friendly, a bit dirty, broken tag.

My bf's going to freak.

NOw what?

Post pics!!!!!

edited to add:
Don't worry about the BF. As a former BF who has loads of experience in such matters, I'm pretty sure he'll get over it.

Walt

I tried to post a pic, but since I don't know how to resize, it didn't work.

I told Sean, "Hi, um, well, there's something... I brought home a dog."

Him: "Uhhhhhhhh, okaaaaayyyy...."

:D

You know what? I'm finding all sorts of resources for people looking for their dogs, but not many telling you what to do when you pick one up.

I gave him a bath. We both got soaked. I got dirty, he got clean.

My bf's going to freak.

When he sees the dog just remind him that it could be a lot worse.

I once rescued 6 turkeys. They were babies with that yellow fuzz on them, too cute. The only bad part was that I happened to be driving my bf's car at the time and he was not too happy when I opened up the trunk to show him what I brought home. Who would have thought that 6 teeny tiny turkeys would grow up to be hellions that shit everywhere! :D

From then on whenever I brought animals home he would just let out a defeated sigh and say "at least it's not more turkeys"! :D:D

Just a reminder: If you feed the doggie or name him then he is yours. Those are the rules.

Bombing for peace is like fucking for virginity!
~DEVIOUS BEEF~~FGF #69~

feed him and bathe him and pet him until he falls asleep....then you and the new dog can figure out what to do next:P

So is that how you handle new boyfriends?

I left something out:P

I thought that would be the figuring out what to do next :D
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

Oops. I fed him. :o

Well girlie, you better come up with a name. Unless the owners are found then you have a new addition to your family. Congrats!

Oh boy. [:/]

Here's a pic. Thanks for the resize, Walt!! ;)

OK, he looked at you and posed for the camera. That makes him a good dog by rule. *Especially* since he let you give him a bath! Anyone who doesn't know what soap tastes like hasn't ever bathed a dog. ;)

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

He's so CUTE!! He does look golden retriever-ish! Welcome him to your family.

Houdini, one of my dogs was wandering the neighborhood, and no one seemed to know where he came from. I put signs up and put an ad in the paper, but no one claimed him. The vet told me he was too old to have a chip, but scanned him anyway just in case. He wasn't fixed either... Some of the stray make the greatest pets. Good luck with him.

"I had a dude tip his black cowboy hat to me after I provided him with a condom outside my hotel room at 3-something in the morning." -myself

He's a cutie and since he's obviously very friendly, I doubt he's been on his own for too long. My guess is he has a home and just got lost. By taking him in for now, you're doing him and his family a good deed. In the morning, you can make some calls (all the places you would call if you lost a pet) and put up signs. "Found" ads used to be free, so look into that too. He looks way too sweet and well cared for to be a stray, so don't worry too much. I'll bet you find his real family in no time.

He's a cutie and since he's obviously very friendly, I doubt he's been on his own for too long. My guess is he has a home and just got lost. By taking him in for now, you're doing him and his family a good deed. In the morning, you can make some calls (all the places you would call if you lost a pet) and put up signs. "Found" ads used to be free, so look into that too. He looks way too sweet and well cared for to be a stray, so don't worry too much. I'll bet you find his real family in no time.

Be sure to call the veterinarians in the area.

Walt

He's so CUTE!! He does look golden retriever-ish! Welcome him to your family.

Houdini, one of my dogs was wandering the neighborhood, and no one seemed to know where he came from. I put signs up and put an ad in the paper, but no one claimed him. The vet told me he was too old to have a chip, but scanned him anyway just in case. He wasn't fixed either... Some of the stray make the greatest pets. Good luck with him.

I used to have a Houdini too... mine was a collie/husky mix... he earned his name.. lol
The only naturals in this sport shit thru feathers...

When I was in high school, we moved to a new town and our collie got out. She wasn't familiar with the area and managed to get a good 5 miles from home but she did have a collar with the old vet's number. It took all day, but we got her back thanks to a couple of nice people who saw her, checked her tag and made calls.

You've got a good heart. Take stock in that. Many people would have turned their back on a stray. You didn't. You should be complimented.

Trust me, I married Ellie May Clammpet. We have 5 cats and 2 dogs. None of which we intended to start out owning. They enrich your life. Things happen for a reason. If he's found tomorrow, you have a good story. If not, you have a good friend. Good luck.

"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."