josheezammit

who are your skydiving heros?

in reply to "Who do you look up to?

Some time ago in Australia during the 90's a tandem master and hugely experienced skydiver Laurie (truck) Sams lost a leg and a bit by absorbing the impact when he and his passenger hit the ground hard after a double mal.

This guy could have let the passenger take the hit but instead protected his charge resulting in NO injuries for the passenger.

Other tandem masters less well endowed with honour or a sense of responsibility when asked said they would have allowed the passenger to hit first if they had a choice.

Mr Sams showed he had the goods in an extreme situation when a persons true character becomes unavoidable. Laurie recieved a bravery award for this action.

Good on you Laurie, some of us know what a true champion you are and have not forgotton.

:)

Bill Smith, who taught me how to jump and how to make sane decisions in skydiving.

Jerry Bird (though I've never met him). Smith pointed him out in the numerous skydiving films available when I was a fledgling and told me about Jerry Bird.

Rudy Krenz. He helped me back into the sport after a 22 year layoff. He's been jumping for over 40 years and is still active -- a true hero.

shall
B|

They certainly won't believe a word of this, but the truth is, my skydiving heroes are Kevin Hawkins and Josh Zammit.

My actual freefall experience with each of them is limited, but these two have taught me more about what it means to be a skydiver than either of them will ever know.

I have yet to take advantage of either, but both of them exude this "i'm available anytime you need to talk to me about anything" vibe that is priceless to me.

My only regret is that I haven't used them to their full potential, and it makes me feel like an asshole.

[:/]

I gotta say Pat & Rex Menke!

They're our DZO's near Spokane... Pat & Rex did things that enabled me to continue as a student when I was broke and gonna stop, then again going through a divorce, & when I got in trouble with alcohol. They are just plain great people!

I've also gotta say Mike McGowan. Met him briefly in Eloy during a sandstorm. We talked for over 30 mins and not once did he say anything about himself, but was more concerned with how I was doing,,, awesome!

Natural Born FlyerZ.com

Paul Rafferty

Melissa Nelson

Amy Chmelecki

All great people, very friendly and warm, and GREAT skydivers.
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

Adrian Nicholas - A true gent, friend and one of the reasons i got into skydiving. Blue Skies old chap, you were taken before your time [:/]
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

I don't have skydiving "heroes". That word is saved for actual heroic deeds. A hero is someone who does what needs to be done, when it needs to be done without thought of consequence to themselves.

If one were to ask me who I admired the most in the skydiving industry, then I would have a definite answer to that.
It takes more than great accomplishment, for all the awards/credentials on the wall still do not make for a decent person.

I don't have skydiving "heroes". That word is saved for actual heroic deeds. A hero is someone who does what needs to be done, when it needs to be done without thought of consequence to themselves.

that's pretty much what Kevin did for me at the 96 nationals. in fact he was named skydiver of the year by skydiving magazine for his selfless actions. he truly is my skydiving hero.

blue stuff,
p.j.

pulling is cool. keep it in the skin

Wesley Snipes
Keanu Reeves
Patrick Swayze
Dennis Rodman

If Captain Kangeroo was Navy, he outranked both 007 and Major Dad. They aren't so hot.

If not, he didn't outrank either.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Greg Robertson is another one of my skydiving heroes. he and Kevin both have humble personalities considering the actions they took to spare others pain and grief without thought of their own safety. i consider myself lucky to have crossed paths with both of them. billions of people will not get that opportunity.

blue stuff,
p.j.

pulling is cool. keep it in the skin