maurice1369

FLAT VS. PRO

Up until last week I had only heard of flatpacking. I was curious are there any benefits to one or the other or are they fairly equal in terms of positives and negatives. I was just curious because he was just going at it and I was just shocked at how weird it looked.

Oh and by the way I finally figured out what those tabs are for on top of the canopy
EXPECT THE WORST, HOPE FOR THE BEST!!!

I know my jump numbers are few but I spent the last half of last summer packing. For the most part I find pro packing to take a hell of alot less time then flat packing. Now when it comes to a much bigger canopy (say my 230 or a tandem) sometimes flat packing is easier just because there's so much fabric. But the one guy I packed for most of last summer had a 97 and i couldn't imagine flat packing that thing just cause it's so little. Part of it is also personal preference. This is all IMHO. Take it for what it is.

Flatpacking has different variations that go by different names. The best variation was actually called the "factory pack", long before the pro pack method arrived. The factory pack, done properly, is essentially much like how some riggers do reserves, which is in effect much like a pro pack, but accomplished in a different way, and can be done just as quickly.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

One advantage of flat packing for people learning to pack is that they can take a rest or go look for help at any moment. When pro packing, as soon as you begin the flaking process, you're committed to put the canopy in the D-bag (or at least lay it neatly on the ground if the fabric isn't too slippery) or you'll have to start over.

OTOH, pro-packing uses a lot less space and that matters a lot when the packing area is cramped.

All your dropzone are belong to us!!!!111!

I used to work at a DZ that flat packed Tandems. As the operation grew so did the number of rigs and thus the number of tandem jumps. Simply put there was not enough room to flat pack anymore.
I truly beleive the transition to Pro pack developed out of the need to save space. The time thing might be a myth, because I have witnessed flat packs done in the same amount of time. We actually had races and you would be surprised.
You will probably hear an argument about which gives you more consistent on heading openings. That is also up for interpretation. I have jumped both and personally like the Pro pack theory to on heading openings, but as with any debate I am sure there are those that like the flat pack openings better.

To the original poster: both methods work.
Then it comes down to a matter of personal preference.
Flat packing was the first method for packing square canopies, introduced during the 1970s.
Then - circa 1980 - some long-haired, dope-smoking, baggy pant, relative-workers in Florida were rushing to catch the next load in a Lodestar. They just set their brakes, pushed their sliders up, gave their canopies a quick shake and flopped them into their containers. Those lazy,long-haired ... invented trash-packing.
PRO-packing, Wolmari-packing, Psycho-packing, Precision-packing, PRO-stacking, etc, are just neater versions of trash-packing.
Mind you, half the modern pack jobs are so sloppy, they could be called "trash-packs." Tee! Hee!

As long as you cover the major points: lines straight, brakes set, slider all the way up, rubber bands tight and bridle routed correctly, both most methods deploy consistently.

Up until last week I had only heard of flatpacking. I was curious are there any benefits to one or the other or are they fairly equal in terms of positives and negatives. I was just curious because he was just going at it and I was just shocked at how weird it looked.

Oh and by the way I finally figured out what those tabs are for on top of the canopy

A standing pro-pack takes less room than flat-packing. Your fellow skydivers will be less happy with you if you're using as much space as three of them, especially if the packing hanger is air-conditioned and it's hot and sunny outside. The standing pro-pack also lets you roll the tail to control opening speed.

It's easier for students to figure out what's going on in a flat-pack - you can see the slope from front to back and S-folds happening where the perspective seems less intuitive with the pro-pack.