millertimeunc

Hung slider

I've had a Nitron 170 with HMA lines for the last 25ish jumps, and on 99% of those jumps, the slider needed some rear riser input to get it to drop. It was the same story on the Fusion 190 I jumped a while back as well. Is this the norm for an HMA lined canopy, or should I look for something else that may be causing the problem?
The best things in life are dangerous.

I am no rigger but i had the same problem on my Saber 2 170. My rigger fixed it by replacing the two outside A lines. From what he told me that the outer a lines shrunk, allowing the slider grommet to go over the canopy fabric while quartering the slider while packing. Don't know how much cause i don't pack my own paracute. I believe when this happened I had about 200 jumps on this canopy (new). Might be something to get your rigger to look at.
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

The lines on your Sabre 2 were probably spectra, which shrink over time from friction. As I understand, HMA lines don't shrink at all from friction, but I could be wrong. I'm curious why it happened on both of the canopies I jumped, and if others out there have been having the same problem.

Not unreasonably tight, probably about 8 inches pulled through the buckle and stowed.

Well, that is a measurement that means nothing because we don't know how wide your shoulders are, or how long the strap is.:P

I see people all over telling newbies, "keep your chest strap loose". I had a wingsuit opening (think of arm positions available for recovery) where I felt the shoulder straps slide off my shoulders and down my arms an inch or two. That experience has changed my opinion. I don't distort the main lift web in, but I don't leave any slack either. And, I confirmed this measurement by having two friends on the ground try to get the straps off my shoulder and confirmed it worked. So, not only does a wider chest strap in your case cause a slow slider, I believe it adds danger.

A more accurate way to measure chest strap tightness is by looking at the main lift web. Is it being distorted in towards the center, or does the strap have slack?

It is true, the wider the risers (which the chest strap will effect), the slower the slider comes down. I have been recently reaching up and spreading the risers on opening as a way to know I have them in my hand if need be, and found I can keep the slider up for an additional second on my canopy if I spread them too wide.

If it was me, I would try to look up at the canopy on opening... Are the brake lines bulbous below the slider, which will slow down the opening a lot.... Things like that. The fact that the rear risers help bring down the slider could be that you are pressurizing the rear of the canopy tightening lines, etc...

Unfortunately, slider behavior is completely canopy dependant. My Sabre 2 and Katana of the same size open completely differently... So, it might be a case that the canopy just does not want to open quickly...

Is it to the point that, if you pitched and did nothing, the slider would never come down? Or is it just slow for your taste?

I've been told by a rigger or two that I'm a "beefy young lad" :P, so the 8 inches of chest strap means I'm not leaving any slack for the main lift web to slip down my shoulders. I fly a wingsuit as well, and I've had my shoulder straps slide down my arms slightly from the chest strap being too loose, which is no fun at all.

I honestly believe that if I pitched and did nothing else, the slider would hang about a foot below the canopy and stay there. As soon as the canopy's out and catching air, I'm on the rear risers just in case it hangs up again, and it almost always does.

I've experimented with this a couple of times letting the slider stay for several seconds, and stays up there until I do something about it. This bothers me because the canopy seem very twitchy and prone to twist up until it's fully open. Perhaps I'm packing it to open too slowly? As it stands right now, it opens slower than my old Spectre did, which is saying a lot.

I had the same issue when I was jumping a Nitro 150. Slider would hang up constantly about mid way down the line set... Could never really figure it out. And, the slider on the Nitro has got to be the heaviest I've seen or felt.
Don't be sexist… Broads hate that.

Contact George at Precision, he'll find a solution for you. Slow sliders are common on Precision canopies from what I've seen. I assume you've looked carefully at the lines and grommets to ensure that there aren't any flaws.
Sometimes you eat the bear..............

Since having a tight chest strap can cause the slider to hang long would it be safe to say this would cause a slower opening? I've been looking for ways to safely speed up the openings of my Spectre and this might be the reason. Since I'm new I like to have the chest strap tight, don't want my ass falling out of the harness!! I like the idea of checking the MLW and having someone try and pull the rig down on you.

Since having a tight chest strap can cause the slider to hang long

I have found the opposite.

What pushes a slider down is the spreading of the lines, wide at top, narrow at bottom. The tighter the chest strap, the more narrow the lines are at the bottom, thus the angle or force pushing the slider down is higher... Kind of like riding a bike down hill, it is going to go faster on a steep hill.

Now, at the very bottom of the lines closest to your rig, if the chest strap is so tight that the lines are narrower than your slider, I suppose you get a bit of hang up the last few inches once the slider reaches the narrow lines. But, the original poster was talking about hang up at the top, where this is not a factor.

Either way, I believe if the tightness of chest strap is slowing down your openings *that much* you need to do something else (like buy a new canopy if you don't like the spec or figure out why your old one is not perfromaning to spec)

I've never heard that wingloading contributes to slider hangups. BTW I agree with Travis that a tight chest strap helps the slider to come down. When my Precision slider won't come down (most of the time) I shake the rear risers together to get it to drop. My slider hangups are nowhere near as bad as yours though. A friend with a conopy and wingload identical to mine has been experiencing slider hangups, George had him cut a 4" hole in his slider to fix it, something I've been considering for a long time. I do NOT reccommend that you do this without getting advise from George at Precision, you should contact him ASAP, I'm sure he would be happy to help you out. Measure your slider so you can give George the dimensions, he can make sure that you have the correct slider for the canopy.
Sometimes you eat the bear..............

I have 2 Nitro 108s and they have both just "Started" to do this. I thought maybe the line sets were getting old, but I just replaced one of them 20 jumps ago and it is still doing it.

I have to think that it has something to do with the tightness of my chest strap as that is the only thing that changed around the time it started to get stuck (mine stops at about the halfway point). After finding myself on my head with my rig around my elbows, I have started tightening my chest strap as tight as I possible can.

I think I am going to begin experimenting with leaving it looser on belly jumps and seeing if it still happens.
"People often say that this or that person has not yet found himself. But, the self is not something that one finds. It is something that one creates"- Thomas Szasz