Icon134

I found another reason...

I don't celebrate Valentine's Day because I suspect that it's history was somewhere along these lines:

So the florists say to Hallmark, "Psst, you wanna make up a holiday so we can mark up our products and force men to buy them for fear of a rash of shit from their girlfriend/wife?"

And Hallmark is all, "Yeah! How do we do that?"

And the florists are like, "Alright, so I've already talked to my peeps over at Hersheys, and we've decided we'll make up some day with quasi-religious over tones by naming it after a Saint that nobody has ever heard of."

And Hallmark is like, "Cool.. sounds good so far. I love exploiting religious celebrations for profit, making up a new religious holiday from scratch is even better."

And Hersheys is like, "Word."

And DeBeers is like, "Yo, can I get in on this shit?"

With enough advertising, women everywhere were convinced that the new standard of love was that men would prove their love in the form of flowers, shiny things, chocolates, and expensive outings once a year. And men grudgingly obliged.

That is my theory.

So have fun not taking part in the reuslt of a massive advertising campaign.

-Karen

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

I'm not single. Got a wonderful man...but he's 9K miles away again and won't be here on Valentine's Day. :(

Being the ultimate gift giver and card sender, I always cover all the holidays because that's the kind of person I am. I like giving. But I agree that it doesn't necessarily have to be a DAY that you celebrate your love for someone.

When he was here recently, some would probably say that we were sickeningly mushy and connected at the hip. And he did WAY too much for me, and actually had the gall to say he had planned to do more for me but just ran out of time. :o But you know what? I'd trade every single material thing I have to just have him with me full time! (And yes, I've told him so, too!).
Nina

Are we called "DAWGs" because we stick our noses up people's butts? (RIP Buzz)
Yep, you're a postwhore-billyvance

I don't celebrate Valentine's Day because I suspect that it's history was somewhere along these lines:

So the florists say to Hallmark, "Psst, you wanna make up a holiday so we can mark up our products and force men to buy them for fear of a rash of shit from their girlfriend/wife?"

And Hallmark is all, "Yeah! How do we do that?"

And the florists are like, "Alright, so I've already talked to my peeps over at Hersheys, and we've decided we'll make up some day with quasi-religious over tones by naming it after a Saint that nobody has ever heard of."

And Hallmark is like, "Cool.. sounds good so far. I love exploiting religious celebrations for profit, making up a new religious holiday from scratch is even better."

And Hersheys is like, "Word."

And DeBeers is like, "Yo, can I get in on this shit?"

With enough advertising, women everywhere were convinced that the new standard of love was that men would prove their love in the form of flowers, shiny things, chocolates, and expensive outings once a year. And men grudgingly obliged.

That is my theory.

So have fun not taking part in the result of a massive advertising campaign.

-Karen

:D
That's probably the way it happened, but I think it was the greeting card companies that originated the idea.
You don't need a reason to dislike Valentines Day, I know I don't. If you have an S.O. you don't need a special day to show them how you feel about them, do it every day... and it doesn't take cards, candy, flowers or shiney stuff to show them you care....
The only naturals in this sport shit thru feathers...

That's probably the way it happened, but I think it was the greeting card companies that originated the idea.
You don't need a reason to dislike Valentines Day, I know I don't. If you have an S.O. you don't need a special day to show them how you feel about them, do it every day... and it doesn't take cards, candy, flowers or shiney stuff to show them you care....

Alas, but I can't do that either...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Nothing mean. Just being a little sarcastic with you. You've had quite a few posts about your dating woes. Hope it gets better for you.:)
Chris

Oh, I am kind of like a broken record I guess.. [:/]

On the plus side if I do discover the woman of my dreams ... or "she" someday changes her mind (don't ask) I'll be sure to share it with y'all.... :)

Alas, but I can't do that either...

You ain't the only one brother....
The only naturals in this sport shit thru feathers...

haha...who said anything about dating

You know, I get you flowers and then you expect something in return... it just snowballs into something huge and troublesome... :P

(Yes, I know my logic is flawed... :P)

hmm maybe that flawed logic is your problem after all...maybe just take a chance on your theory not being correct and you might be pleasantly surprised. Im not saying on me (but i never turn flowers away) but on anyone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A life without a cause
is a life without an effect

hmm maybe that flawed logic is your problem after all...maybe just take a chance on your theory not being correct and you might be pleasantly surprised. Im not saying on me (but i never turn flowers away) but on anyone.

She's got a boyfriend... in fact she's always had one... just not the same one... so that would be pointless... :P

hmm ok...well like i said before (and this goes for anyone and everyone ;)) if you are feeling upset cause you have no one to send flower...I am more than willing to accept :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A life without a cause
is a life without an effect