in2jumping

Wrist Mounted or Chest Mounted Altimeter?

Just curious what everyone is jumping these days? After being gone from the sport for almost 8 years seems like no one wears a chest mounted altimeter anymore. Chest mounted just make much more sense. You can see them in a track, doing rw others can look over at it, and when initiating emergency procedures its right there in your face.

Getting back into the sport I picked up an Alt III wrist mount as a backup to my old chest mounted Alt II and found that I have not once look at the Alt III and find that it is uncomfortable on my hand. So I just got done mounting my Alt III on my chest pillow and don’t think I will ever wear a wrist mount again.

I have both, a wrist mount and chest mount.

To address your question - as you've noticed most people have changed to wrist mount. This makes a lot of sense to me. I find the wrist mount far more accessible in freefall. I find it far easier to read my wrist altimeter then I do my chest one. I consider the move from chest mount to wrist mount a very positive one.

The only reason I wear a chest mount is under canopy. Both when I do CRW and flying aggressive landings (swooping) - it's easier to read the chest mount.

If you feel more comfortable with the chest mount - then stick with it. However, I suspect that if you do switch to wrist mount, you'll learn to like it a lot.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

For belly jumps, I wear just a neptune on my wrist. My wrist is almost always in view and don't have to take my attention away from my next grip. For wingsuiting, I wear the neptune, plus a Galaxy on a home made mudflap mount. It is a lot easier to take a quick peak at the mudflap than it is to turn my head hard to the side and bend my wrist to check the altitude. But I still like the wrist mount under canopy as I am use to it for setting up for landing. For EPs, I suspect I would more likely be looking up at my canopy dealing with what is wrong. A wrist mount alti would be in view and save me from having to look down to check my altitude.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

doing rw others can look over at it,

If the others that you are doing RW with have time to stare at your chest mount... you're doing it wrong! :PB|

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

I would have voted "other" if there was an option.

We start students out on chest mounts. They changed me to wrist mount on FF #6 after my instructor noticed I was having difficulty looking at my chest mount over my boobs in FF (totally had to de-arch:o).

The container I have now (bought it used) is made for someone a little taller and if I wore a chest mount, I'd get a nice little smack in the chin or throat on every opening. I have a new container that is expected to ship in 17 days:)
One of our main intructors say that wrist mounts are for you, the chest mount is for everyone else, and now that I'm jumping with students, I need to wear one. So after my new Wings arrives, I'll wear a chest mount with jumping with students. I doubt that I'll ever look at it but it will be there.

I keep it on the left riser cover. (Frank's Look Ma attachment) It's out of the way except when I need to glance at it and I never have to remember to bring it along for the ride. Don't really look at it very much anyway, except when tracking so I kinda question wearing in on my wrist. Had it on my chest strap for years, but I like the riser cover better.
Dano

The switch to wrist-mounted altimeters was driven by tandem instructors.
However, if you are comfortable with chest-mount, just stick with a chest mount.
The best chest-mounts actually mount a bit to the side, on the 3-Ring cover.
Search under "Pat Works" for instructions on how to bend your own altimeter mount from sheet plastic.

Thought there was 1 or 2 incidents of chest mounted altimeters injuring people on a hard landing, but maybe I'm wrong.

I have heard that. The mudflap mount I made has a hole cut in the portion that slides under the flap. The hole aligns with the adjustment ring and allows for easier "zeroing" of the alti. It also weakens the mount some so that if I were to land hard, it should be a bit easier to break right where the alti mounts. That's my hope at least.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity