Remster

IRAs and other investments

I could go to a financial planner, but you people are much more savant....;)

Is there an extented time limit to contribute to a IRA (say a Roth IRA) for 2005, beyond December 31 2005?

Then, besides IRAs and 401Ks, are there other tax saving vehicles that are fairly straight forward?

Finally: Sharebuilder.com: any experiences?
Remster

I believe that you can contribute up to the filing deadline... but don't quote me on that. I seem to recall that's always a question that TurboTax asks me when it's trying to figure out all the ways I can save more money ("Do you want to contribute to an IRA for 2005?")

www.irs.gov is a surprisingly useful site, considering its source.:D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Is it the same for 401K? Can we assign our deduction to the 2005 years for investments made prior to April 15?

No. 401K contributions are made pre-tax so any contribution you've already made lowers your taxable income. They must be made within the calendar year.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I did look at the Fool, but didnt find the info on the deadline... Thanks!

Is it the same for 401K? Can we assign our deduction to the 2005 years for investments made prior to April 15?

Yes, for Roth IRA's you have until April 15th to contribute for the previous year, I just maxxed out my '05 contributions last week.

Now we'll see how smart you people really are...

Say you were living in the US only for 4 months at the end of 2005... Is your max contribution then 1/3 of the max amount?

Are you a US citizen?

Two days after arriving in NYC in 1998, walking down the street I saw a huge ad in the window of a bank branch: "Contribute to your IRA!" Whoa. I knew the IRA got most of its funding from Irish-Americans with rose-tinted glasses, but I didn't realise they'd be so blatant!

Now we'll see how smart you people really are...

Say you were living in the US only for 4 months at the end of 2005... Is your max contribution then 1/3 of the max amount?

No. In that case you MUST put in the max amount, but 2/3's has to go into my account for being your green card sponsor.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Sharebuilder sucks ass the fucked me.

Edited to Add:

Use Scottrade. I have a couple of friends who are stockbrokers and they recomend scottrade

Small IRAs are pretty pointless in a stock trading account, by and large. Buy and holding one stock isn't a very good investment strategy for investment accounts, and frequently trading a small IRA reduces the account value each time you buy and sell. Mutual funds are run by people who know what they are doing...most individuals don't.

Just my 2c.

I got a strong urge to fly, but I got no where to fly to. -PF

www.aaii.com

I'm a member of this group. You can get a lot of information on the site and then make a decision about joining. Joining gives you access to a wealth of information. I highly recommend them.

As others have said, you have until the filing deadline to make a contribution to an IRA and you can extend that time period by filing and extention. Just be sure you send in any tax due by April 15 or you will be charged a penalty and interest. BTW the extention this year is for 6 months so if you file it by Arpil 15, you have until October 15 to fully fund your IRA.

www.aaii.com

I'm a member of this group. You can get a lot of information on the site and then make a decision about joining. Joining gives you access to a wealth of information. I highly recommend them.

As others have said, you have until the filing deadline to make a contribution to an IRA and you can extend that time period by filing and extention. Just be sure you send in any tax due by April 15 or you will be charged a penalty and interest. BTW the extention this year is for 6 months so if you file it by Arpil 15, you have until October 15 to fully fund your IRA.

Financial advice is one thing people should avoid giving when they don't have their facts straight. :| Publication 590 says the following:

"You can make contributions to a Roth IRA for a year at any time during the year or by the due date of your return for that year (not including extensions)."

i.e. if your non-extended due date is April 15, which the vast majority of individual filers have, then that is the latest you can fund an IRA.

I don't have personal experience with AAII, but there are many brokerage services available (fidelity, vanguard, charles schwab come to mind as good ones) which will not charge for their advice and service. A service like this is better for a beginning investor than something like AAII or fool.com in my opinion, because it is difficult for a $25-50 annual fee to be cost effective on a small investment.

I got a strong urge to fly, but I got no where to fly to. -PF

I was going to jump all over that if you hadn't :P

In this case of being a resident and not a citizen, I dont have an answer. My understanding is that Roth IRA's are for citizens or residents. If you are a resident now and had your Roth IRA setup before Dec 31st, I dont see why you couldnt contribute the max for the year ($4,000 in most cases). I would phone a brokerage and ask over the phone, I'm sure you could get a straight answer. I go through Smith Barney and they have been pretty good to me over the years.