ljwobker

larkshead vs. rapide link for d-bag attachment

Possibly a dumb question, but I'm not near my rig so I can't easily look at it myself, so I'll ask...

How hard is it to convert a rapide link d-bag attachment to a larkshead? I'm probably going to end up with a "1-rig, 2-canopies" setup -- to easily go back and forth from RW+swooping to wingsuit or camera flying.... and it seems like a larkshead setup would be easier to swap the D-bag back and forth.

Given this, is there any reason to prefer one setup over the other?

thanks...

I would think the rapid link would be the fastest way. Even better/faster way would be to just set up each canopy with its own D-bag, risers, bridle/PC.

Just an idea!
SONIC WOODY #146

There is a fine line between cockiness and confidence -- which side of the line are you on?

Possibly a dumb question, but I'm not near my rig so I can't easily look at it myself, so I'll ask...

How hard is it to convert a rapide link d-bag attachment to a larkshead? I'm probably going to end up with a "1-rig, 2-canopies" setup -- to easily go back and forth from RW+swooping to wingsuit or camera flying.... and it seems like a larkshead setup would be easier to swap the D-bag back and forth.

Given this, is there any reason to prefer one setup over the other?

thanks...

the faster way would be a SLINK instead of a rapide link.

Wouldn't just be faster to buy a second D-bag and PC and keep it attached to the canopy so all you have to do is pack it and hook up your 3-rings?

As to what I do if I didn't do as above, I would use a link for speed.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

...and it seems like a larkshead setup would be easier to swap the D-bag back and forth.

Well, that's interesting, I would think the rapide link is easier, but then, I have a dedicated adjustable wrench in my gear bag just for that. You can get a cheap one from Wally World or someplace, and it will make quick work of a rapide link.

And just think, once everyone knows you have one, people will start borrowing it and you will be considered a really cool guy for having one, (at least until someone doesn't return it, and it disappears).

Well our S/L /AFF rigs are convertables and we NEVER tighten the link with a wrench, finger tight is good to go, we're talking a d-bag and bridal here, not a riser and lines connection.

As for ones wrench walking off, don;t lone out your rigging tools and keep a lock on your riggin kit.:)
Now a slink would work just fine if you were smart and just found/buy a second d-bag & PC and kept them together.:ph34r:

you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

I am sorry I must have missed your joke or I just don't know what you are getting.

It is quicker to four line a copy then it is to fawk with a larkshead that has been pulled really tight. :P

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Personally I just use a PD Slink to attach my non-larkshead Wings d-bag. Its easy and quick to take off, but its not going to work its self loose to convert your d-bag into a freebag. I know I've personally followed 6 different d-bags down thinking at first glance it was a freebag. I've been using a Slink for about 4 years now very successfully.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."