skyflychris

Helping the graduated student

Hi,
Forgive my length. I was at the drop zone yesterday making some jumps and 2 students graduated. They announced it over thr PA and everyone clapped. A few jumps later I noticed they were hanging around and nobody really knew them so they remained on the fringe of the action. I made it a point to talk with them and remembered imediately that sense of excitement I felt at their point. I greatly appreciated those who recognized this with me and went that extra step to help a new jumper. The comraderie is what hooked me, that's what at the end of the day it's all about, or there's nobody to hear your story and learn. Just some thoughts from an old school new guy.
Ordinary's..... just not good enough today.

Thats why I always suggested a coach jump or two or three....I had several at my DZ and they were more then willing to help the newbies out...These coaches had lots of jumps and were just stoked to help the "new guy/gal" out. Did it for free, most of the time...coaching that is..:D

Bobbi
A miracle is not defined by an event. A miracle is defined by gratitude.

Yeah, nice going. I find it quite difficult to interact with the other regular jumpers. I suppose they see so many faces come and go. Its really nice when people come up and chat, even if its just to talk bollocks. I love the atmosphere and the comeraderie too, thats half the fun of going jumping at the weekend for me. I am in that awkward stage too. Just finishing my consols and soon to get A licence. I remember my very first jump. Was AFF level 1. Last jump of the day, sun was setting, still was in tail part of summer. Everyone dropped there kit and the fridge openend. Beers all round and hung around chatting and getting to know people. Was great, then winter came and they all went into hibernation. Haha. Guess have to start from scratch again! :P:S

We ALWAYS brought the bar-b-que out, ran to the store bought burgers, dogs, BEER, etc, My video guy/coach was a DJ, so he always traveled with his tables and tunes.... and just hung out until the no see'ms started to eat us alive....aaaaah good times.:D[:/]

Bobbi
A miracle is not defined by an event. A miracle is defined by gratitude.

I jump at a small Cessna DZ in Wi. We have some of the worlds most respected and accomplished skydivers here. We have two WT, including last out last in, we have skilled canopy pilots, great load organizing. The average jump # on each Cessna going up is usually arroud 4/5000 jumps and that usually includes at least one person with fewer then 100. We treat new jumpers the way they are supposed to be treated. If we keep neglecting our newbies, we are going to end up with the same people to jump with until they die f-that. I love a hot skydive but I love to jump with someone who is learning so much on each skydive that you can physically see the light bulb go on. It's awesome.

Those of us with the skills to pay the bills better start stepping up to the plate. It makes me mad to see people paying others to jump with them we should be doing that for free. I know we all have to make a living but skydiving should be a passion not a biz. I am sorry to those who do work in the industy but I just don't like what the sport is turning into.
HPDBs, I hate those guys.
AFB, charter member.

Good for you (and them). It's always nice to have someone to talk to and hang out with at the dz. I feel very lucky to be at a small dz with wonderful people. I always feel at home when Im there. It does help if you make a move as well. I have never been one to sit on the sidelines, I just jump right in and make friends where ever I am. I myself am a newbie so I like to reach out and make other newbies feel welcome.;)
Breathe out so I can breathe you in...

Was great, then winter came and they all went into hibernation.

nah they don't really hibernate they just get the cheapest flight available and follow the sun:)
No doubt that you will get wondering feet soon enough its just one of those things new people new faces new gutters to waken up in:D

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

I have just gotten my coach rating and I really enjoy jumping with the students working towards their "A". My skills have improved by doing so. And seeing the smile on a student's face when they had a good jump is why I got my rating.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

That time between graduation and getting your A is strange. You can solo, but that's when you need the most help.

This is one of the primary reasons I got my coaches rating... I want to be able to help these people get their A license so they can play with others safely.
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Hi,
A few jumps later I noticed they were hanging around and nobody really knew them so they remained on the fringe of the action. I made it a point to talk with them and remembered imediately that sense of excitement I felt at their point. I greatly appreciated those who recognized this with me and went that extra step to help a new jumper.

This is what motivated me to get a coach rating, I get my return helping the new jumpers fit in and get thier A.

Gunnery Sergeant of Marines
"I would like it if I were challenged mentally at my job and not feel like I'm mentally challenged." - Co-worker

For me it seemed like the sidewalk ended at AFF7.

After that I felt very alone.

My thought is that the DZO should congratulate the newest jumper and give them some jumping assignments.

Start working on the A card. Get those landings closer to the mark.

I was lucky and had Scott Miller nearby, so I did his basic canopy course on jumps 13-18. Wow! What a great thing that was. Not everyone can do that. Why not have an instructor at each DZ do a similar 5 jump canopy course with each noob? Serves several purposes, primarily making that jumper better. Keeps them attached and plugged in.

The sooner each person finishes their A license the more likely they are to stay and improve.

Almost the same thoughts regarding tandems. How many people come out, do their one jump and leave with a cool video, never to be seen again?

I make it a point to always say,"See you next weekend" to every person I see making a tandem jump. Why me? Why not the DZO or one of the instructors? I'm just a noob myself. Partly because I remember that weird feeling of wanting to belong,but being invisible. Walking around the DZ and no one talking to me.

Just some stray voltage, as you were.

Mo