squink

DZ's in California

I'm going to California in April. Can anyone tell me what DZ is closest to Sherman Oaks (does anyone know where that is)? Not sure if we're going to have a car or not, so quickest and easiest to get to is what I'm looking for.

Thanks.

...the door was open

SKYDIVERGIRLS.COM

only dz iv been to in californa is perris. Its really a great place. Though elsinore is very close to perris iv never been there. I think you will be about 1 1/2 hours from either one....give or take 1/2 hour. I don't know...i always went there from orange county
I may not agree with what you have to say but i'll defend to the death your right to say it.

I've gotta get Clownburner to take some more pics. The only one I've got is pretty bad lighting.

I don't have any pics of you either (before and after), and I'd love some of you to send in to the Locks of Love, along with our others. :)
Edited to say...Elsinore is the most friendly of all DZs. If I were you, I'd go to both Elsinore and Perris, depending on your mood and on their events. :)

I used to love jumping at Elsinore. However, they've put in some 3-4 story buildings right next to the dropzone. when the wind comes from that direction (and it does quite often), landing can be really dangerous because they can get very bad rotors. I know too many people who've been injured because of that. When the wind comes from that direction, you can either risk the rotors, or land halfway to the lake and have a long hike back.

I know too many people who've been injured because of that.

Do you actually know of anyone who has been injured at Elsinore due to that issue, since the buildings went up?

Don Simonds. He was off skydiving for about 6 months after that. Very very lucky to be alive. If I could get my cell phone to transfer the picture to my computer I'd post his HUGE hematoma for all to enjoy... :o

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Well, I've never jumped at another DZ before, so I want to go somewhere that has some good coaches (any volunteers?) But it would absolutely make my day/trip/winter to do a jump while I'm down there. I think it's down to Elsinore and Perris. I want to meet lots of friendly people (especially some dz.commers), and I'm sure there is lots at both! :)

...the door was open

SKYDIVERGIRLS.COM

Well, I've never jumped at another DZ before, so I want to go somewhere that has some good coaches (any volunteers?) But it would absolutely make my day/trip/winter to do a jump while I'm down there. I think it's down to Elsinore and Perris. I want to meet lots of friendly people (especially some dz.commers), and I'm sure there is lots at both! :)

Both DZs have great FREE coaching programs for low-time jumpers - Excel camp at Elsinore and Performance Plus 2-way skills camp at Perris. Might contact the organizers and see if they'll be available when you're there.

http://www.skydiveperris.com/ppp/2wayskillscamp.aspx
http://www.skydiveelsinore.com/teams/EXCEL/basic_camp.html

I am looking forward to some of the Excel coaching when I'm down at Elsinore next month. When I was at Perris last, I had less than 100 jumps and was specifically approached about joining in the 2-way camp by one of the folks that ran it, though I was leaving and wasn't able to take advantage of it.

Wish I had those kind of programs locally. :)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Those buildings create very big rotors if there's a decent wind. There's been a few times I thought I was far enough away, but was still feeling them on landing.

Don Simonds was the one I was thinking of, and I've heard of a few others. However, I didn't know them, so I didn't remember the names.

If they're moving further away from the buildings, I'd love to start jumping at Elsinore again. I've just found landing there to be a bit beyond my comfort zone.