Keith

Brokeback Mountain

to start off, i'm not gay at all. and from my point of view i basically saw it how airtwardo saw it. i thought it was a good movie and by like halfway through i didn't even feel like it was so much focused on that they were gay as to the fact that they were just living their lifes as a lie and didn't really know what they wanted in life and just used people to either cover up their affair or to try to convince themselves that they're "normal." i thought it was a good story. could have been better but nonetheless i thought it was a good movie. it was definitely awkward at times to the point where i couldn't really watch it. the girl i was with kept laughing at me whenever i would be like "aw... awwww... come on." but besides those awkward parts the story was good. its crazy cause i know there are gay people out there who actually live their lives like that and it was just an interesting movie to see from that aspect. honestly i have no earthly idea how someone could be gay but whatever. anyways... i'd say see it if you are someone who can appreciate movies and look past certain aspects of it (if you're like me and not gay that is).

My immediate reaction to anewempire's post was almost identical to Narci's. Here's a guy who went to see the movie (kudos) with his girlfriend and was introduced to things that were once only vague mental images. Now it's a glaring reality on a big screen in front of him and he was uncomfortable - so what? So he feels the need to substantiate his heterosexuality - so what?

We're all uncomfortable with the unfamiliar with when we first encounter it. I say 'hooray' for anewempire. I think it's admirable that he saw through to the real message of the movie.

In a world full of people, only some want to fly... isn't that crazy! --Seal

Doood...IT'S UTAH!!!!

The guy supposed to be 'cranking' the projector hurt his arm....

Besides

Would you really wanna see it if it WENT OVER WELL there?!?

You do have a point. :D

And I thought only the Amish still used crank projecters? :|
Keith

Don't Fuck with me Keith - J. Mandeville

I think he got the homophobia idea because the guy shouted 'HELL NO!' instead of just saying 'no.'

I'd go even further. If the thread were about "'Syriana' and 'Munich'" which he also presumably doesn't want to see, I suspect he wouldn't open the thread, much less respond to a question at all.

So no, homophobia isn't implied by not seeing this film. But it IS implied by making a big deal out of avoiding it, i.e. announcing it in ALL CAPS with an exclamation point in a public forum.

On the other hand it IS possible that the fellow just hates movie theaters (like I do) and won't see this or any movie (again like me.) The initial impression of homophobia is a rebuttable presumption.

Edited to add: Whoops. I got ExAFO and Mx757 mixed up. Although I still wonder who would open a thread about a movie they don't want to see and spend time saying so unless there's some emotional investment involved.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

Edited to add: Whoops. I got ExAFO and Mx757 mixed up. Although I still wonder who would open a thread about a movie they don't want to see and spend time saying so unless there's some emotional investment involved.

Well Sparky, since you wondered, I was wondering what tack the thread was going to take on a movie that is generating a great deal of debate.
Illinois needs a CCW Law. NOW.

No need to be a smart ass. You said you were interested to see where this thread was headed since the movie generated so much debate. You won't find debate in this thread. The debate is in the other thread where it belongs. I was simply pointing you in that direction.
Keith

Don't Fuck with me Keith - J. Mandeville

I think he got the homophobia idea because the guy shouted 'HELL NO!' instead of just saying 'no.'

Oops, I missed that post. I can see where the conclusion was drawn. Although I think using the word 'homophobe' in this case waters down its meaning. If a person does not want to see a gay themed movie does not necessarily make them a homophobe.

Chris

If a person does not want to see a gay themed movie does not necessarily make them a homophobe.

I certainly think it should never be sufficient to label someone a homophobe.

edit - sorry, this is the bonfire. I moved the rest of my post to the SC thread.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am