meirelles

wings student with problem

I am reporting a problem that happen with a brand new student wings that I bought 5 month ago.

The bridle of the pilot sistem got caught in the housing of the spring loaded sistem.

Thanks god there was 2 instructors with him, if he was alone could be a nasty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPRGDhcP-20

Can you explain this further. What do you mean by "the housing" of the spring loaded system? I realize there may be a language barrier, but do you mean a reserve flap? Sorry, I don't understand what the bridle was caught on. I can't tell what is going on in the video.

Thanks,

- Dan G

Ok, here's what I mean to see in the Video:

The rig has a BOC and a tube for a cable/springloaded PC release. The bridle got hooked up on the mouth of the tubing (visible as the small white dot above the orange PC handle). The instructor pulls the bridle down and out so it can pull the pin, which it does but the PC seems to have trouble lifting the POD from the main container.

From looking at the video, it seems to me like a kill-line PC is used (look at 0:56) which may not have been fully cocked (at least the POD-bridle gap looks too long for my eyes).
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

Are you being ironic? The instructor has to pull that bridle with all his force and fiddle with the flaps to get it out. How is that a delay caused by drag?

Not at all, as you can see at the end when the bridle is released the pc doesn't have enough power to lift the bag. It is not the only reason (the bridle can be hooked too, but in this case it is only one of the possibility) but the lack of pc's force is obvious and has a lot of influence in such situation and you need sometimes to put your all strenght to clear the situation.:P
Jérôme Bunker
Basik Air Concept
www.basik.fr
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Le-Luc-France/BASIK-AIR-CONCEPT/172133350468

IiT WOULD BE INTERESTING TO KNOW THE SIZE OF THE MAIN CANOPY, AND THE SIZE OF THE CONTAINER!

I'm not going to shout at anyone, but I do wonder if the canopy was stuffed in there like a brick. I have a 170 hybrid in my wings that was built for a 150 zp, and I have experienced one minor PC in tow, which I think can be attributed to the mismatch in container/canopy.
Less talking, more flying.

IiT WOULD BE INTERESTING TO KNOW THE SIZE OF THE MAIN CANOPY, AND THE SIZE OF THE CONTAINER!

I'm not going to shout at anyone, but I do wonder if the canopy was stuffed in there like a brick. I have a 170 hybrid in my wings that was built for a 150 zp, and I have experienced one minor PC in tow, which I think can be attributed to the mismatch in container/canopy.

Does not look like an issue with canopy or container size. Appears to me that there where two issues.
1) The bridle snags the ripcord housing or something on the bottom of the container.
2) Very weak drag from the pilot chute. Kill line not cocked or too small pilot chute?

2) Very weak drag from the pilot chute. Kill line not cocked or too small pilot chute?

Remember, because of the snag, the P/C has lost the "snatch force".(no jokes you sickos!:P)

On a completely unrelated note, the reserve side jumpmaster would do well to hang on to the student's arm grip and add some stability to the skydive, especially around pull time.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

1) The bridle snags the ripcord housing or something on the bottom of the container.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

I am wondering why that antiquated piece of hardware is still installed????
Main ripcords disappeared from Canadian DZs 20 years ago!

I am wondering why that antiquated piece of hardware is still installed????
Main ripcords disappeared from Canadian DZs 20 years ago!

It should come as on optional extra. Few dz's are using ripcords. Personally I havent seen one in at least 5 years.

With regards the video, besides the bridle being hung up the student makes a really poor toss right into his burble. The bridle actually wraps around his hand which luckily for him clears itself. You can see his arm being pulled back. This does not help lift the bag off his back. It's one of those chain of events scenarios. Luckily with a good outcome.

I would suggest that the owner of that rig should be visiting their local rigger so the situation can be looked into and the manufacturer consulted before it is jumped again. It looked to me like it required a significant tug from the AFFI and definitely a safety concern. Even if it is a totally in-spec system I'm sure the container manufacturer should look at the situation.

-Michael

When using the Wings Student Container all AFFI's are required to complete proper PCA training.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

What is "PCA" in plain english?

"Pilot chute assist", it's a BASE term, akin to a static line but usually a smidge faster.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

:)
Thanks for the info.

Looking at the video we can see very clear that the main ripcord housing is exposed out from the tape channel.

The metal housing end on both sides MUST be covered by tape & hand tacked.

The way it is exposed in the video could be a factory mfg. error or it could the wrong size of housing BUT it should be discovered & fixed.

:)
Safe Jumps & Rigging !!!

With regards the video, besides the bridle being hung up the student makes a really poor toss right into his burble. The bridle actually wraps around his hand which luckily for him clears itself.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

yup....
"Its such a beautiful day outside, we should thank the leader."

"The leader? Who the hell is that? Some sort of leader?" -Homer Simpson.