shropshire

Thinking of replacing my Swift reserve

Hi Folks,

As mentioned in another thread, I have just had my Swift repacked and chatted with the rigger, who said that it's still O.K but is nearly 20 years old (this year) and so is old technology.

I've jumped a PD (160 I think) connected up as a main - It was fine. but I'd probably go for the PD-146.

Anyway, do I have any other options worth considering?
How about the PD Optimum?

Thanks in advance...

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

PD is definitely the best reserve out there in my opinion...Just talk to your rigger about getting the proper size so the pack volume is compatible for your container. I've had several customers show up with a new main or reserve and look amazed when I inform them that it is too big or small for their container. Definitely look at pack volumes if considering the Optimum, great reserve and packs up incredibly small.

You list a your reserve as a Swift Plus. IF your reserve was an original Swift 5 cell canopy then I would suggest replacing it for several design reasons. Swift Plus was an redesigned version of the same airfoil but did away with the things I didn't like. I had an original swift for many years and packed many more. But have stopped really wanting to pack them.

I also have a Swift Plus that I wouldn't hesitate to jump.

As long as it's not overloaded I wouldn't bother replacing it.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

That's a good point... I only know that it's flown once (by me:$) and the rigger (B.T.W : he says that it's the South African model) did say that's it's in good condition, so no real need to change it, I s'pose. 20 years does sound old though.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I've put a number of jumps on the PD146 Optimum using it as a main.
It is not your normal reserve. Every jump I put on it was doing 12-14 way RW at terminal. The openings were unbelievable and not hard at all.
The landings were even better. It has a really powerful flare and I had no problem shutting it down in no wind. I even did a couple of 90 degree front riser approaches. I was out the door at about 195 lbs.
This is an awsome canopy.
The low bulk allows for a larger canopy than what is currently in your container.
Talk to Nick at Performance Designs about it and see about getting one sent to you to demo.
Here is his info:
NickG@performancedesigns .com
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.