Sick_Of_It_All

Good books you've read lately.

"Snowcrash," by Neal Stephenson

read Cryptonomicon and was REALLY impressed. He's so brilliantly funny. EXCELLENT! :)

Yeah, I came across Cryptonomicon by accident right when it came out - forked over the bicks, got the huge mucking hardback and tore through it - probably my 2nd favorite of his after Snowcrash.

"The Gas We Pass, The Story Of Farts" by Shinta Cho

http://www.everyonepoops.com/bookstore/book.asp?sku=27&sc=1

One of my favorites. :D

Here's a nice little review:

Review: The Gas We Pass, The Story of Farts
By Shinta Cho

Farts are either funny or repulsive, depending on the crowd you typically associate with. However, the fact is that everyone has gas. It's just a part of life. That's what "The Gas We Pass" tries to tell us.

Don't let the book's title or the simplistic drawing of an elephant's rear that adorns the cover put you off. This book is simple, clear, and--thanks to the goofy drawings throughout--funny. In other words, it is a great way to educate a young child about what his body is up to.

I chose to review this book because I think it is advisable to satisfy children's curiosity rather than sweep potentially embarrassing subjects under the rug and label them as taboo. I would be willing to bet that nearly every kid on earth has screamed with laughter a time or two because of a particularly loud fart. My wife is an elementary school teacher and she has told me about the many times when a surprise toot from a child in the middle of a lesson sent the entire class into uncontrollable laughing fits. It would take her at least 10 minutes to get the students back under control. Do the kids know what a fart is, though, besides loud and stinky?

Kids won’t be the only ones to learn a thing or two from The Gas We Pass. The book starts off with a direct, but entertaining breakdown of what causes farts. Then you can learn how much gas the average person passes in a day, why a patient farting after an operation is something a doctor looks forward to, and what foods cause the smellier farts.

Apparently Kane/Miller Book Publishers has no problem filling the "gross stuff" book niche. The publisher produces a nice little series called the My Body Science Series that features titles like: All About Scabs, Breasts, Everyone Poops, and Contemplating Your Bellybutton. Now that would be an interesting stack of books to see on a kid's bookshelf at home!

This book is highly recommended by my 8-year-old son. Honestly, though, he might not have learned much on the first read through because he was having such a good time pointing and laughing at all the drawings of people and animals farting. The second time around I think he actually paid attention to the words. After the third time, he actually learned a thing or two.

This is a light, entertaining, informative book appropriate for all ages. And, yes, it even makes for a good gag gift for the notorious adult tooters you know.

--------------

(Do not, I repeat DO NOT, take my posts seriously.)

Just bought a new book today, "Blink, the power of thinking without thinking". It's explores the phenomenon of how snap judgements can be a lot more effective then a cautious decision.

I haven't read Blink, but if you find you like Gladwell, go out and get The Tipping Point, too. I loved that. :)

Hmm, now that sounds very interesting. Thanks! :) Now still going through a tome about victorian paintings and painters.

Eugene

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of
people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

Well, I read this a few months ago but I have to say The Kiterunner is one of the best books I've read in a long time. Great story, well written, characters that hold your interest throughout, not to mention the historical (recent) perspective it provides on Afganistan and the Taliban. But its not about that- its about friendship and honor and loyalty. Great read!

Yeah, I came across Cryptonomicon by accident right when it came out - forked over the bicks, got the huge mucking hardback and tore through it - probably my 2nd favorite of his after Snowcrash.

Kewl....I am making that next on my "Stephenson" list, thanks.:)

It kicks major ass. A great book - surprised they haven't made a movie of it yet. I read it cold - I never had heard of Stephenson until then. After about two pages I was sucked in. Didn't put it down for the next...9 hours (?)

Cell by Stephen King. It grabbed my attention in the first 10 pages and was a page-turner after that. Of course I'm a pretty big SK fan, not sure how well it'd be received by someone who's not.

It's grabbing me right now.....about 2/3rds through it.

"Into Thin Air" was a fantastic story.

The best book I read last year was "Paranoia", by Joseph Finder. I give it four thumbs up.....highly recommended.

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."