NWFlyer

Are You Sure?

Why, when people dial the wrong number, do they ask "Are you sure?" Like I'm going to all of a sudden remember, "Oh, yeah, you're right, this IS Mike's number. Let me get him for you."

Tonight's call went like this:

Me: Hello?
Man: Hello, is this Sally?
Me: No, I'm sorry, you must have the wrong number.
Man: Well, you sound like Sally.
Me: Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot. I am Sally!

(okay, so that last sentence was made up...) :D

Anyone else have some weird "wrong number" experiences?
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Next time reply "Sally died last week"

Oooh, that's just wrong. I like it. :S
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

My favorite:

When somebody figures out that I'm not the person to whom they wished to speak, they usually say something to the effect of, "I'm sorry. I must have dialed the wrong number."

To which I answer, "How do you know I didn't answer the wrong phone ??"

Guaranteed 2 seconds of silence before they say another word.

Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

I always get rednecks from Virginia dialing wrong numbers since I still have my VA cell number.

I answer the phone and someone with a thick Southern accent will go, "Is this Tammy Sue Joe Bob Judy Brittany?"

And I groan and tell them that I'm in Seattle and its six in the morning. That usually confuses them and then I hang up.

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

Why, when people dial the wrong number, do they ask "Are you sure?" Like I'm going to all of a sudden remember, "Oh, yeah, you're right, this IS Mike's number. Let me get him for you."

Tonight's call went like this:

Me: Hello?
Man: Hello, is this Sally?
Me: No, I'm sorry, you must have the wrong number.
Man: Well, you sound like Sally.
Me: Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot. I am Sally!

(okay, so that last sentence was made up...) :D

Anyone else have some weird "wrong number" experiences?

Ok, I confess. I am a bad man. Years ago I watched a flick called, "Ruthless People". It has a scene where Danny deVito, who plays a really slimy guy, answers the phone and says, "Sorry, she can't come to the phone right now--she's kind of busy. She's got my dick in her mouth." Then he hangs up the phone and laughs and says, "I *love* wrong numbers!"

After seeing that scene, I waited a looooooooooooong time to get a wrong number call from a guy asking for a woman.

Yep. I did it.

Walt

Why, when people dial the wrong number, do they ask "Are you sure?"

Me: Yes, I am sure you dialed the wrong number.
Them: what number is this? I dialed 555-xxxx.
Me: Well, I don't know what number this is. I live alone and never had the need to call myself.

long pause:D:D
Them: You're sure Bob's not there?
Me: Pretty certain.[:/] Can I take a message in case he does show up? Maybe Bob will dial the wrong number looking for you and I can relay the message...

:P
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

i kept getting coolect cal from aprison on my cell phone... dude kept twling me he loved me and i needed to pick up the phone.. hell i couldn't accept the call to tell him to stop caling let alone tell him i was a guy... finallyhad to call the companythat handled the telecom for the prison and getthem to block my number.....

All the time. I have a local cell phone in Iraq. I'm always getting Haji calling me. They start jibbering in Arabic or Kurdish so I say something funny back like "Esmi Osama Bin Laden." :D Or I ask them if they have a "Hooshka?" (Sister) :D Funny thing is.......if I hang up on them after saying a bunch of crazy shit they call right back. :S

To which I answer, "How do you know I didn't answer the wrong phone ??"

Guaranteed 2 seconds of silence before they say another word.

Someone called me in the middle of the night once. When they found out it was the wrong number they apologized for ringing so late.

I told them..."That's okay, I had to get up to answer the telephone anyway."

They were so relieved. :S
What do you call a beautiful, sunny day that comes after two cloudy, rainy
ones? -- Monday.

My phone number is one digit different than our local pharmacy. Each day, I receive calls requesting prescription refills. I explain their dialing error. Some people are very rude - like's it my fault they called me.

Once, the same person called me three times in a row. She insisted she had the right number. Finally, I told her I'd fill the prescription and she could pick it up in an hour and then I hung up on her.

She didn't call back.
Jump, Land, Pack, Repeat...

There is a palm reader in the city I live in with the same last name as mine. I would sometimes get calls from people looking for "Sister West". Most of the time I would just say wrong number and hang up, but a couple of times when the person was we'll say "excited" about talking to the good sister, I would schedule free appointments at 3:00am, "while the spirits are most active"...:):S:D

They also were always selling cars in their front yard and they had a boat there for sell and I sold it on the phone for $300.00, but it had to be cash...:ph34r:

for a while one of my home phones was one digit off an local pizza delivery chain...

after a bit i just started taking orders instead... :D

That's funny! A few years ago, some boy kept calling the house asking for some girl. He did identify himsels as 'Billy'. I finally told him that she wasn't here... she was out with Jimmy! Heven't heard from him since.
One thing I've never understood is why, do we apologise when someone else dialed wrong?

Chuck

for a while one of my home phones was one digit off an local pizza delivery chain...

after a bit i just started taking orders instead... :D

Yeah, in college one of my numbers was close to a local restaurant's number. My roomate and I started taking reservations.

My poor parents. They once had a LARGE car dealership which sits within view of I-85 just south of Atlanta paint MY PARENTS phone number on the side of their building. In 5 ft high letters. :S

A few years ago my number was one number off from Telecharge. People would call and ask about tickets to broadway shows. Usually I told them they had the wrong number, but if I'd had a bad day or something, I'd tell them "well, we just had a cancellation for Phantom - Row D, center section, Orchestra. You can pick the tickets up under your last name. But you know that NYC is in a traffic/parking stage 4 alert today, right?"

"No, what's that?"

"Oh, it means you have to park in Jersey and take mass transit in."

"Oh."

Heh. Hell will be a fun place.

I had an old number that was one off from the local pizza place, and one off from the guy who delivered newspapers in our neighborhood. We were usually polite about the pizza number, except for a few bright, shining stars that kept calling the wrong number long after we'd corrected them about fifty times...for them we started taking their orders and telling them to pick them up in twenty minutes. :)
The paperboy was a pisser, though...it seemed like he took every other Sunday off, so I was usually awakened after a night of heavy drinking on Saturday to cranky, irate old ladies at 0600 Sunday, wanting to know why their goddamn paper hadn't been delivered (this was my first realization that cranky, irate old ladies frequently have potty mouths early on Sunday morning:o). >:( I recall being, um, less than polite with a few of them...
Doctor I ain't gonna die,
Just write me an alibi! ---- Lemmy/Slash