syntax

mythbusters

It was about whether or not a penny thown off a tall building could kill someone... testing the fall rate of pennies by comparing them to the ~120 mph fall rate of a tandem.

Dave

Damn! And I was hoping he proved people DO go up when the parachute opens!:|

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

hi! Long time ago back in 1991, we recladded the Amoco Bld. in Chicago. the building is 1137 tall. I was working next to a guy on the 81st floor.(building is 84 stories tall)who dropped a bolt by accident, this was on the south elevation,and there was a fountian below us. after counting six seconds there was a gyser of water 4 storys high as the bolt went into the fountain.If it takes 11 seconds to reach terminal velocity with a speed of 110 mph in a stable free fall position, then that bolt had to be doing close to 150 or so when it hit due to the mass and bulk of the bolt.After all the bolt free falled for 6 second in 1000ft. A penny on the other hand has a small surface and would flutter down way less than 100mph at that hieght. That is all i have to say about that.(talks like forest gump)

I ran a few numbers and concluded that, in a vacuum, the bolt would take 8.2 seconds to fall 1097 feet (81st floor) and would be going over 175 mph, in a vacuum. With air resistance, the time would be slightly more and the speed slightly less, all depending on the sectional density of the bolt.

For a 6 second fall, in a vacuum, any object would be going 128 mph. Air resistance would, of course, reduce the speed. I think you guys counted to slowly, or got a late start on it. I'm thinking the bolt did aqbout 8+ seconds and was smokin' about 150-160 mph when it splashed. :D

I love watching Mythbusters....but there was one myth that they busted that I TOTALLY disagree on. The myth was .....that you would get better gas mileage in a pickup truck if you left the tailgate down. They busted it proving that you get better mileage with the tailgate up. I don't know if it was just the crewcab they used or what.....but my whole life I have gotten better MPG with the tailgate down....and I have owned a bunch of trucks in my life. Did anyone see this? I've never heard of anyone getting better gas mileage with the tailgate up.

It was about whether or not a penny thown off a tall building could kill someone... testing the fall rate of pennies by comparing them to the ~120 mph fall rate of a tandem.

so what was the result? was it busted?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

They proved pennies go up when released in freefall, so they fall at less than 120ish...

Then they built a little vertical wind tunnel (a tube with a blower below it) and found an approximate fallrate. Then made a gun that could shoot a penny at that speed. I think they ended up shooting each other in the ass or something to prove it wouldn't penetrate skin.

Myth busted.

Dave

I think they ended up shooting each other in the ass or something to prove it wouldn't penetrate skin.

Myth busted.

bwa hahah... i love that show. i'm very glad adam is on it, he lightens the mood a bit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

i'm very glad adam is on it, he lightens the mood a bit.

To heck with Adam, I'm in love with that red-headed assistant chick.

ditto........she does change the color quite a bit tho, its not always red......

i'm very glad adam is on it, he lightens the mood a bit.

To heck with Adam, I'm in love with that red-headed assistant chick.

ditto........she does change the color quite a bit tho, its not always red......

She can have it any color she wants, and it's okay with me.

They proved pennies go up when released in freefall, so they fall at less than 120ish...

Then they built a little vertical wind tunnel (a tube with a blower below it) and found an approximate fallrate. Then made a gun that could shoot a penny at that speed. I think they ended up shooting each other in the ass or something to prove it wouldn't penetrate skin.

Myth busted.

Dave

What a waste, NASA ran those experiments years ago. they did discover, quite by accident, though that your typical metal ball-point pen has tremendous penetration power when dropped from above 100 ft.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."