tntsawers

RW suit

Either compromise on your "dream designer colors" and "perfect fit", or shell out for a new suit.

Keep looking. Sometimes a suit that's a little big can be altered. And colors don't always have to match. Buy used and save your money for jumps. Become a good skydiver, rather than a fasion model who can't turn a point.

Kevin k.

Shell it out. Get one custom. Get all the options (mega booties, big grippers, full gripper set). Anyone saying that as a beginner you should forego the options is just trying to sell the 'real' suit in 6 months (thus cashing in on 2 suit sales from the same customer). Or is an oldtimer out of touch (:P). It's your best tool to learn to fly your body well.

Why look in the rigger's forum about an RW suit?

You should go solicit advise in the RW forum for this.

Do a thread search on the topic. Plenty already out there.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Or is an oldtimer out of touch

... or just isn't into 4-way. How do big grippers and inside leg grippers help someone learn to fly their body well? Those are for other people. A lot of people don't even like holding on to giant grippers, and inside leg grippers aren't really used all that much outside of 4-way type jumping. Someone trying to save some money can do just fine with a custom fit jumpsuit without all the bells and whistles, or even a used one if it fits right.

Dave

Shell it out. Get one custom. Get all the options

I completely agree. If you are going to get a custom suit, get one that will last. I went through 2 "beginner" RW jumpsuits before getting a "real" one. Looking back, I don't feel that a gained anything by doing this instead of going straight to the "real" one.

Get a good suit with all the options and get some tunnel time. :)
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

People with little hands. Big grippers are a 4-way thing... really not needed for most RW. Old jumpsuits with really skinny grippers are annoying, but standard grippers are just fine.

Dave

I'm going to have to disagree. I've found big grippers to be preferable for any jump where you want to launch a piece. Why would it be specific to 4-way?
A dolor netus non dui aliquet, sagittis felis sodales, dolor sociis mauris, vel eu libero cras. Interdum at. Eget habitasse elementum est.

I've never seen a bigway organizer (that isn't also a 4-way god) that has humongo grippers. And those guys are always in the base. 4-way (and 8- and 16-way) has more "interesting" exits than you'll usually find on other RW jumps. Big grippers help get a better grip on those crazy exits (for some people anyway). I just don't think they're worth spending money on for the average new jumper, unless they have a good reason to or have the money to spend. Just not a necessity (the way, in my opinion, booties are). Even my 4-way team seems to hate their big grippers (I do video, so I don't get to play with those things).

Dave

I don't think it is a necessity to have the big grippers, but it will be if the jumper decides to get into 4-way. I believe it's about an extra $20 to get them. It will cost a lot more to replace the existing grippers with big ones or to get a new suit entirely later on should the need arise.

Why does your 4-way team not like their big grippers? I've never, ever heard anyone complain that grippers were too big before, only too small.

I just got my first RW suit from Skimmer suits. Most options are included in the base price so I got them and I would have payed more if it was different. I anticipate to jump that suit for a while and I want it to be as good as possible and not having to replace it for details.

You're getting a lot of "experienced RW" input which doesn't apply to your situation.

My suggestion:
Get a used one until you have nailed your landings and are no longer sliding and rolling around and tearing it up. THEN get the new custom-fit. By then, you will have more knowledge on just what "fit" you need to compliment your FS flying style. There is no one-type-fits-all. You'll want to get a good grip on your general fall rate and buy accordingly.

It's amazing how many youngsters have made the mistake of buying "fashion" instead of "function".

Go ahead and get one with booties now...you'll be flying them sooner or later if you aren't already. As mentioned earlier, a larger used one can be tailored for you much easier than a smaller one.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Get a used one until you have nailed your landings and are no longer sliding and rolling around and tearing it up.

Agree to a certain extend. On the other hand, when getting custom, if the company offers cordura for any part of the suit, I'd get it. Cordura ass, knees, and booties will save you a lot of money in the long run.

- Dan G

- Dan G

I just got my first RW suit from Skimmer suits. Most options are included in the base price so I got them and I would have payed more if it was different. I anticipate to jump that suit for a while and I want it to be as good as possible and not having to replace it for details.

Hey - she really enjoyed building that one. YOu had a couple custom requests to make it stand out per your nickname, right? It looked pretty cool.

A few other suitmakers are also now just offering the loaded competition suit as standard now. Jumping is at a whole new level - the only people I've seen going without booties or want tiny grippers
are old timers that have grown accustomed to not having them (I have 20 years in the sport, so I can relate. Personally, I like all the features - but I like turning points more than just grinning and sticking my tongue out at people.)

I would have payed more if it was different

I'll let her know ;):P

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Big grippers help get a better grip on those crazy exits (for some people anyway). I just don't think they're worth spending money on for the average new jumper,

big grippers don't cost extra - or shouldn't. since tiny grippers are not 'standard' any more, that should cost extra.

exits in 4 way shouldn't have a lot of tension, if they are 'crazy' then exit practice is required, the grippers are just easy targets to touch during controlled point turning and for holding on during powerful piece moves

as far as getting something not loaded? that's fine. My opinion is it's a waste of time when buying new.

On getting a used suit? One needs to be very picky about the fit of the suit, and, especially, the fit and design of the booties so the jumper learns correctly. Also, beware of people dumping their crappy used stuff on newbies (poorly fitting suits, worn/reworked suits, crappy booties that are no good except to keep your instep dry, etc). In my mind, best to skip buying used unless it's perfect (and I've sold my used suits (last one for two pizzas to someone I thought was very talented, or given them also to new jumpers - but only when they look like they fit the guy perfect)

I hope that clarifies.

as far as getting something not loaded? that's fine. My opinion is it's a waste of time when buying new.

On getting a used suit? One needs to be very picky about the fit of the suit, and, especially, the fit and design of the booties so the jumper learns correctly.

Again, I completely agree with this. If buying a new jumpsuit, get everything with it. If buying a used jumpsuit then be extremely picky.

I do a lot of coaching and I've seen way too many people buy used RW suits that don't fit well. Most of the time the booties are too big which results in effectively not having booties. Occasionally the suit is too small which can severly limit range of motion.

I've also 'sold' two used jumpsuits - both were given away for free.

Again, I completely agree with this. If buying a new jumpsuit, get everything with it.

You looked at a jumpsuit order form recently?

I got $195 off my last RW suit (won a gift certificate from Bev). After options, without gigantor grippers, I paid $195. So that's about a $400 jumpsuit. And I sure as heck didn't get ALL the options.

There's an awful lot of junk you can pay for on a jumpsuit that won't improve flying skills in any way. I think some might hurt, like going with giant mega vented pleated humongo booties when you've never used booties before. Then there's pockets all over, extra zippers (I love long leg zippers but I know 4-way guys would always recommend against them), afterburners, stripes, wings, swoop cords, and on and on and on.

I think "get everything with it" is unnecessary advice. Get booties, have someone that knows about buying RW suits help, get measured by someone that knows what they're doing, and don't buy white. Everything else is bonus. Nice to haves, but not needed. Or possibly really bad to have if you don't need them. I think a $200 jumpsuit and $200 worth of skydives beats a $400 jumpsuit as far as how much it will help in learning to fly your body.

Edit: Giant grippers are a fad. Yeah, I said it! Just like tie dye rigs and purple on men's gear.

Dave

Ok, I take the word "everything" back. I'll change it to "get a jumpsuit with the same options that the top teams have." That means booties (not necessarily vented) and big grippers.

I agree with this:

I think "get everything with it" is unnecessary advice. Get booties, have someone that knows about buying RW suits help, get measured by someone that knows what they're doing, and don't buy white.

Giant grippers may be a fad, but they are used by every single top team in the world (that I know of). There's a reason for that.

Hey - she really enjoyed building that one. YOu had a couple custom requests to make it stand out per your nickname, right? It looked pretty cool.

A few other suitmakers are also now just offering the loaded competition suit as standard now. Jumping is at a whole new level - the only people I've seen going without booties or want tiny grippers
are old timers that have grown accustomed to not having them (I have 20 years in the sport, so I can relate. Personally, I like all the features - but I like turning points more than just grinning and sticking my tongue out at people.)

I would have payed more if it was different

I'll let her know ;):P

Hey glad to hear she enjoyed doing it. It looks awesome. I can't wait jumping it this weekend.

Yeah you can tell her I would have payed extra for options if necessary. I already have mine;)

Yeah you can tell her I would have payed extra for options if necessary. I already have mine;)

Shhhhhhhhhhhhh...Don't say that>:(! Do you plan on only having a skydiving career long enough for one jump suit???? No? What are you going to say when Kim says, "Well, remember when you got your first suit, and you said that you'd have paid more? Well, pony up!"

Kim--I will not pay more! Bad idea! Bad! :)

IMHO, buy and new suit fitted to you. Buying a use ill fitted suit can cause you to pick up bad skydiving habits to compensate for the ill fitting suit ( When I started out I bought a used RW suit that was a tad small. The measurement from the shoulders to the crouch was too short, so I got used to having to really arch hard to fly. Later on someone pointed it out and I eventually ordered a suit to fit me. As soon as I took it up I was flying much fast so much so it became an issue and I had to start learning to fly dearched all over again.)
When ever possible dress for success (buy the right suit for what you want to do)
Kirk

Get a used one until you have nailed your landings and are no longer sliding and rolling around and tearing it up.

Agree to a certain extend. On the other hand, when getting custom, if the company offers cordura for any part of the suit, I'd get it. Cordura ass, knees, and booties will save you a lot of money in the long run.

- Dan G

I agree. Get the cordura extras and buy the suit in black w/ a single contrast color for the grips.

Black hides the dirt better than any other color and it looks good on video.:P
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

You're getting a lot of "experienced RW" input which doesn't apply to your situation.

Why not? He's asking about an RW suit. Why wouldn't "experienced RW" input apply?

-Because most of you guys are talking fashion instead of function. Big grippers, small grippers, etc.
-Because the OP probably hasn't yet gotten a grip (no pun intended) on just what he wants to invest his money in according to his flying style.
-Because he may well decide that freeflying is his thing and not RW.
-Because he indicates that he is looking for used and not new...cost may be an issue here.
-Because the OP may not have yet figured out what his average fall rate is and how a jumpsuit can help/hinder that. I'd hate to see him shell out all that money only to decide afterwards that it was not what he needed or that it is not best for his flying style and fall rate.
-Because I give the OP credit for being smart enough NOT to buy something that doesn't fit.

Of course, Terry, you are free to do whatever you like.
To address your original question:

IMHO,
Buying used is tough. It can be done but it's going to take some effort to find that jumpsuit that fits well. It will be more cost-effective for you to buy used until you get a good feel for what you NEED instead of what you LIKE.

Many have made the mistake...as an example:
One young jumper was told that he had a fast fall rate and advised to buy a slow jumpsuit. He did...one small problem...it was too slow for him and his fall rate suffered to the point that he could't keep up. $350 of unusable material for him. A lot of good learning opportunities were wasted on fighting against the jumpsuit. The $75 used one he eventually found fits his style perfectly and he's been flying it for over 4 years.

Dress for success.

For buying used...
-Learn what you NEED before investing in new. You can then get what you LIKE that fits your NEEDS.
-Keep pluggin' away...you WILL find what you need sooner or later.
-Don't get antsy and buy ill-fitting unless it's on the large side and you can have it easily tailored.
-Don't buy new for the wrong reasons. Looking cool falls a distant second to flying well.
-Get somone to act as an escrow for you. Many riggers will provide that service for you.

Good point raised above:
Cordura is your friend.
:D:D