draygoneslayr

How Does One Afford A Rig

I wouldn't buy anything but new gear. Period.

Good, Good. The other thing is not to own the same gear more than two seasons (replacing it once a year is best).

Well, that doesn't make any sense. And it doesn't make any sense to be a smart ass.

If you can't afford it then I suppose used gear is a better alternative to renting. But why settle? You get what you pay for.

One thing I may add is do the research for yourself. Don't go and buy a rig used or new just because joe said so or just because it looks all Cool and shit like the pro's have. Remember most of their equipment is sponsorship. Just do research like the Jumpshack says and it may help you make a more solid decision about your purchase.

Do the Research

I agree with you i have two new rigs that snugly fit a sabre 170 but will hold a 150 and some 135s. So i have room to gro with current rigs. (all brand new) Less chances for anything to go wrong but cant blame anybody for buying used (good) gear.

Good, Good. The other thing is not to own the same gear more than two seasons (replacing it once a year is best).

Well, that doesn't make any sense. And it doesn't make any sense to be a smart ass.

If you can't afford it then I suppose used gear is a better alternative to renting. But why settle? You get what you pay for.

I'm not sure if you're being as arrogant as you seem, or merely naive, but it's probably one of them.

I'm not sure if you're being as arrogant as you seem, or merely naive, but it's probably one of them.

Here we go again. You can't post your opinion without getting a smart ass remark or two can you?
Well I'm not arrogant and I'm far from naive. I've been through plenty of used gear only because that is what every body suggested. Never was I comfortable until I bought new. I am fortunate enough to be able to afford all new gear X 2. I have a new Icon rig and a new Infinty. Both made to fit and both very comfortable. My opinion is just that, my opinion. Why the animosity?

Well I'm not arrogant and I'm far from naive. I've been through plenty of used gear only because that is what every body suggested. My opinion is just that, my opinion. Why the animosity?

Perhaps because of the title of the thread. Saying "buy new" to someone who who can't see how they can afford a rig is at best not helpful.

My first rig was new, my first canopy was secondhand. I agree that a rig built for you is much more comfortable, but it also much more expensive.

I bought new only because I couldn't find a suitable secondhand rig. (New Zealand has a much smaller secondhand market than the US).
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -- Albert Einstein

One thing I may add is do the research for yourself. Don't go and buy a rig used or new just because joe said so or just because it looks all Cool and shit like the pro's have. Remember most of their equipment is sponsorship. Just do research like the Jumpshack says and it may help you make a more solid decision about your purchase.

Do the Research

Let's not confuse research with marketing... B|

Even though the pro's have sponsorship equipment, that doesnt mean it's different than joe rookie would get if he ordered from the same manufacturer. A manufacturer is only capable of producing a product that adhere's to the drawings that were approved by the FAA. Sponsorship or not, it still needs to be TSO'd.

A more valuable resource to do research would the the FAA Rigger Handbook or any of the poynter's manuals. Hell, even talking to your rigger and/or instructor would likely be more valuable than reading a website.

Encouraging a new jumper to buy all new gear ranges from unethical to foolish depending on who's making the recommendation.

I've barely just started skydiving, and already I can't count the number of times I've seen someone scrub in on their 30th jump and get their beautiful brand new container all scuffed up.

Now it's a year later and the 210 that originally went in the container is a 170. The closing loop is pretty short, the rig looks funny from the small main that's in it, and your $2300 container is now worth maybe $1300 on the dz.com classifieds. Whether you can afford it or not, this is just throwing money away.

Buy a used rig, put a couple hundred jumps on it, sell it for a little less than you paid for it, and then decide what you want. You will have a lot more experience at your disposal with which to decide what to do next.

Encouraging a new jumper to buy all new gear ranges from unethical to foolish depending on who's making the recommendation.

I've barely just started skydiving, and already I can't count the number of times I've seen someone scrub in on their 30th jump and get their beautiful brand new container all scuffed up.

Now it's a year later and the 210 that originally went in the container is a 170. The closing loop is pretty short, the rig looks funny from the small main that's in it, and your $2300 container is now worth maybe $1300 on the dz.com classifieds. Whether you can afford it or not, this is just throwing money away.

Buy a used rig, put a couple hundred jumps on it, sell it for a little less than you paid for it, and then decide what you want. You will have a lot more experience at your disposal with which to decide what to do next.

I respect your opinion. However doing as you say did not work for me. The hit isn't as bad as you think it is. I paid $5000.00 for a brand new Infinity and sold it a year and about 200 jumps later for $3800. Ammortized for 200 jumps that's $6/ jump. Hmmmmmm doesn't make sense to buy used to me. But what do I know? You are much smarter than I am.

Well I'm not arrogant and I'm far from naive. I've been through plenty of used gear only because that is what every body suggested. My opinion is just that, my opinion. Why the animosity?

Perhaps because of the title of the thread. Saying "buy new" to someone who who can't see how they can afford a rig is at best not helpful.

Exactly. Of course it's great to be able to buy a new rig, just like it's great to be able to buy a new car. But there's a huge used rig market for the same reason there's a huge used car market. All you're doing is rubbing his nose in it, and that's really insensitive.

But what do I know? You are much smarter than I am.

Ah, that settles it then. It's not naivete. It's arrogance.
Look me up after you've grown up some more. Until then, talk to the hand.

I'm not arrogant and I'm far from naive.

Right. A common attribute of both naivete and arrogance is that, by definition, people who suffer from either very rarely recognize it in themselves.

Well everything has already been said by people who actually know what they are talking about.

My uninformed opinion:
- Why would you want to buy new gear if you only do 30 jumps a year???
- If you do decide on those 30 jumps a year, you're probably better off renting. Your own gear (and this is even more applicable to new gear) will cost you more than 500$ a year. Repacks, AAD, dropping value etc.

theyre either too old and crappy or too expensive.

My first rig was nearly 20 years old (old Vector, Swift reserve with the trailing brake lines), cost $800 and even came with a guarntee: "Whenever I jump it, it was guaranteed to get me to the ground", which it did around 150 times safely before I came across a used rig I could afford that I had saved for dilligently...

Rig rental TIMES 150 jumps - i'd say I got my moneys worth...
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

I respect your opinion. However doing as you say did not work for me. The hit isn't as bad as you think it is. I paid $5000.00 for a brand new Infinity and sold it a year and about 200 jumps later for $3800. Ammortized for 200 jumps that's $6/ jump. Hmmmmmm doesn't make sense to buy used to me. But what do I know? You are much smarter than I am.

My husband's first rig cost us $2000. He jumped it for 3 years, about 400 jumps. We sold it for $1600. $400/400 jumps = $1/jump. Better numbers than yours :P I bought my first rig for $1800. Put 300 jumps on it before getting a new canopy then another 300 on the container/reserve/cypres. I still own that rig, and keep it so there's a spare in our house should either my husband or I need it in a pinch to turn loads. I only bought my first new gear recently.

If someone is hurting for money, there's no reason to go buy new when there are plenty of good used rigs out there. A new jumper doesn't need top of the line. There's nothing wrong with an older dolphin or racer container, both work well and are easy to pick up inexpensively used until finances allow for custom gear and education in the sport allows for better decision making on what to buy.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

And the other thing is.. just because the rig is "used" doesn't mean it's going to look shitty or be in bad shape.

The container I'm jumping right now I bought "used". It had 80 jumps on it and had not been jumped in over a year before I bought it. Not a thing wrong with it - looked brand new. And after the 250 jumps I've put on it, it STILL looks brand new. Some people just take care of their gear better than others (and I guess, to add to that, have better landings than others ;)).

Gee, I wish I could afford two brand new rigs. But guess what, most people can't. And I think those people that can't have a lot more respect and pride for their gear because they had to really work for it.

My husband's first rig cost us $2000. He jumped it for 3 years, about 400 jumps. We sold it for $1600. $400/400 jumps = $1/jump. Better numbers than yours :P I bought my first rig for $1800. Put 300 jumps on it before getting a new canopy then another 300 on the container/reserve/cypres. I still own that rig, and keep it so there's a spare in our house should either my husband or I need it in a pinch to turn loads. I only bought my first new gear recently.

If someone is hurting for money, there's no reason to go buy new when there are plenty of good used rigs out there. A new jumper doesn't need top of the line. There's nothing wrong with an older dolphin or racer container, both work well and are easy to pick up inexpensively used until finances allow for custom gear and education in the sport allows for better decision making on what to buy.

An old Dolphin or Racer? Are you kidding me?

But why settle? You get what you pay for

Ah, but by being careful, I get what you paid for when I buy used.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I've got almost 5000 jumps on Racers in all disciplines (and have never worked for nor been sponsored by them). They work great, and the vast majority of people who diss them have never even jumped one nor know why they're talking smack.

Modern Dolphins aren't bad rigs either - its just a black Javelin for the most part.

What makes you think he was being a smart ass. I think his plan is a good one. It's what I do.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I respect your opinion. However doing as you say did not work for me. The hit isn't as bad as you think it is. I paid $5000.00 for a brand new Infinity and sold it a year and about 200 jumps later for $3800. Ammortized for 200 jumps that's $6/ jump.

I bought my first rig for $3500. I bought a Cypres with 4 years left on it for $450. ~250 jumps later I sold it on dropzone.com for $3700.

The other cost you are not factoring in is this: how many jumps did you do on rental gear while you were waiting for your Infinity to be built? Buying a new rig as an experienced jumper is not as big of a deal because you generally have a rig you can use while you are waiting for your custom-made one.

As with any purchase, only you can decide whether the extra $1000 was worth it to you. The problem I have is that the average new jumper is not even capable of making that decision rationally, and they are already being financially pounded from all sides by the cost of AFF, all kinds of new gear, "first" beer, etc.

Gee, I wish I could afford two brand new rigs. But guess what, most people can't. And I think those people that can't have a lot more respect and pride for their gear because they had to really work for it.
-----------------------------------------------------------
>:(Buy the way i have 2 brand new rigs (top to bottom) and in reply to your shitty comment. I work very hard for my money. Nothing was given to me, my parents where poor, no silver spoon here. I take the best care of my gear. Instead of crying about not being able to to afford two rigs, get another job, maybe, a second or third. and go buy another rig. I worked 15-20 hours a day 7 days a week for several years to get the money i have. If you want 2 rigs then work harder and quit crying:P

-----------------------------------------------------------
>:(Buy the way i have 2 brand new rigs (top to bottom) and in reply to your shitty comment. I work very hard for my money. Nothing was given to me, my parents where poor, no silver spoon here. I take the best care of my gear. Instead of crying about not being able to to afford two rigs, get another job, maybe, a second or third. and go buy another rig. I worked 15-20 hours a day 7 days a week for several years to get the money i have. If you want 2 rigs then work harder and quit crying:P

Hmmm...

Get a 2nd or 3rd or 4th job to pay for a rig that you will have no time to jump anyway because you'll be working or get used and have more money and time to jump? Doesn't seem like a hard decision for me!

And, if you're profile is right, do you really think that 43 jumps a year is worth having 2 rigs for?