gNemo

Question about leg-strap modification

Hey Guys,

I have an old Jav and the leg-straps are the "throw-around" style. (you know like on the pilot rigs) I was wondering if a rigger could modify them to hip-ring style, and if so how much would it cost for me. I feel like it would be much more comfortable.

Thanks a lot.

Are you refering to having B12 snaps on your Javelin? They are the snaps that you can fasten then tighten once the rig is on your back.

Leg straps come in 2 styles - Ones with the B12 snaps and the other type that are called step ins. The leg straps attach to the harness at theHip junction and this can either be a sewn connection or a Hip ring connection. On almost all rigs having B12 snaps is not possible with a Hip ring.

http://www.sunpath.com/service_rigging.htm
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Yes it is the snaps, after you snapped it up front you can tighten the straps. I don't really like that, I'd like it more if it was a step in. Sometimes it's uncomfortable under canopy around my thighs and I think this might be the reason. (or could it be the padding?)
Are these snaps replaceble to become step ins?

The quick answer is...yes you can convert it to step in type..not a problem at all for any master rigger with a harness machine....but the problem could easily be the fit of the rig. If the leg strap padding is too short that can lead to discomfort also the newer syle leg pads(thicker padding) tend to be more comfortable that the older thinner style. Put your rig on and let a rigger give a look and get his opinion first, then decide on the steps to take care of the problem.

On almost all rigs having B12 snaps is not possible with a Hip ring

I have a Wings rig with hip rings and B12 snaps.:)
OP: I'm inclined to think it's not the snaps, but rather the fit of the rig and/or the padding on the leg straps. I love my B12 snaps, for several reasons: 1) MUCH easier and faster to get my rig on 2) I can tack the leg straps down so I don't have to adjust them 3) After a broken tail bone, dislocated shoulder, compression fractures, etc... I just don't contort and bend backwards like I used to 4) It offers me ample opportunity to make fun of all the folks who aren't Yoga masters getting into their rigs on...
Seriously, I've never had any discomfort from them. If the rig fits properly, you shouldn't even realize that they're there. I'm inclined to think that it's the leg strap padding versus the snaps. And just to dispel a myth I hear every once in a while... there are NO safety issues with them (and I'm assumming were not talking about the quick-release ejector style, as I haven't seen those in used on sport rigs for years.)
Randomly f'n thingies up since before I was born...

a cheap way i found to get some extra comfort with my old Eclipse is wearing "slider shorts". they can be found in the baseball section of sporting goods stores and have padding around the upper leg and thighs. cost about $20.

Or you can pick up a pair of oven mitts for like $2.99 at your local discount retailer;).

If the harness geometry is correct, padding is superfluous.

The OP's next step should be to get himself measured - as if he was ordering a new Javelin - and FAX those measurements to the Javelin factory, along with a note containing the serial number of his current Javelin, etc.
The factory will come back with suggestions about how to modify the harness for better fit (usually a factory of Master Rigger job).