arai

is the bowling speech bullshit?

yeah, I understand the concept, you pull some poor struggleing student aside and tell them that maybe skydiving isnt for them, or some variant of, hinting that they might be safer at home.

But has anyone ever actually said the words, "maybe you should think of taking up bowling instead"? or actually used bowling in a sentance where you told someone to go home? Or is it simply that by saying "the bowling speech" you refer to the talk people have where they tell people maybe skydiving isnt for them?

it almost seems excessive, or maybe thats the point, getting them to clue in that its that urgent that they dont endanger themselves further.

Anyway, tell me a bowling speech, a real one, that you've heard

You're obviously too stupid to skydive if you have to ask about the bowling speech. Maybe you should go take up scrapbooking instead?

Or Posting on DZ.COM

Oh - Wait . . .[:/]
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I suck at bowling. I could never roll more then a 70. I still remember that fateful day when my bowling instructor took me aside. I think he was trying to put it as lightly as possible. He said that bowling isn't for everyone, and that he didnt think I was cut out for it. I still remember his words "Maybe you should take up skydiving..."

I suck at bowling. I could never roll more then a 70. I still remember that fateful day when my bowling instructor took me aside. I think he was trying to put it as lightly as possible. He said that bowling isn't for everyone, and that he didnt think I was cut out for it. I still remember his words "Maybe you should take up skydiving..."

prolly safer.[:/]

sorry to hear that.:ph34r:
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I suck at bowling. I could never roll more then a 70. I still remember that fateful day when my bowling instructor took me aside. I think he was trying to put it as lightly as possible. He said that bowling isn't for everyone, and that he didn't think I was cut out for it. I still remember his words "Maybe you should take up skydiving..."

There are a lot of similarities in the two...

Bad fashion, lots of beer, and and if ya 'throw' it right the first time ya don't need a 2nd!;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

There are a lot of similarities in the two...

Yea, and with the way some "would-be-swoopers" come through the blades, I've even seen more than ten knocked down :D

And if ya land too hard, the old 7-10 split is tough to come back from!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

>Or is it simply that by saying "the bowling speech" you refer to the
> talk people have where they tell people maybe skydiving isnt for
> them?

Yep.

Actually, I most often use "the wind tunnel speech" - I tell people they need a few hours in a wind tunnel before they can come back and try real freefall again. In one case it actually worked - slow Bob came back and made it through the program!

You're obviously too stupid to skydive if you have to ask about the bowling speech. Maybe you should go take up scrapbooking instead?

well I'm torn between, "fair enough, this is bonfire after all", and, "that aftertaste in your mouth is piss from this mornings kornflakes" bad morning was it?

I was just askin if anyone has actually heard the speech include the instruction to actually go bowling.

I broke my ankle on AFF jump #4 and feared that I'd get "the speech".

I didn't get it because I didn't have any problems with freefall.

When I was a student, there was a man in the program who had some major problems with body position, altitude awareness and freefall. They suggested that he spend some time in the tunnel.
Jump, Land, Pack, Repeat...

An instructor friend of mine had to tell a student to stick to golf the other day (believe me it was warranted). When we asked him if he thought it was harsh he said: "that WAS my toned down version, i used to just hand them a golf ball!" :D

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

The owner of my company was Nicknamed "Bowling Ball" after "trying to kill" the DZO of Skydive Mesquiteon his second tandem. He couldn't understand why he was yelling at him while they was tumbling through the sky. He said he thought it "might" be something he was doing wrong since Brad should know what he was doing. He never arched, kept his arms tucked in and pulled his legs up basically becoming a bowling ball. He is 5'4 240lbs. Looks like a bowling ball too..

I and several others gave him the speech and yes we told him bowling was safer for a bowling ball :D

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.