AMax

Spills on laptop computer

Last night my girlfriend spilled half a glass of red vine on her portable computer (mainly on a keyboard):S. (In case you wandered, she's brunette:P:P:P) I turned in off immediately, flipped it upside down and dried overnight. The laptop is dry now but it would not start.
Is there a way for fix the problem without taking it to a store?

Mail it there.

LMAO!!!!!

No not really. There have been a couple of documented cases where distilled water ws used to clean out the electronic boards. I believe so far that a cell phone was the only survivor so far though.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

No not really. There have been a couple of documented cases where distilled water ws used to clean out the electronic boards. I believe so far that a cell phone was the only survivor so far though.

Soaking in distilled water worked on my cell phone when I dropped it in beer, and I have secondhand knowledge of this working on a laptop.

Soaking in distilled water worked on my cell phone when I dropped it in beer, and I have secondhand knowledge of this working on a laptop.

I don't think it is a good idea to soaka laptop :P

Take the battery out and give it a try. what do you have to lose?

Oh - I'd prolly take the HD out too.:ph34r:
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

It's definatly not a good idea, but if you got nothing to lose....

oh yeah, and I definatly dont reccomend soaking the HD, monitor, or anything else that wasn't spilled on for that matter. The best would be to take out the motherboard and soak it by itself. Low probability of success though.

if anything were to spill on my laptop it would be cocoa cola clasic or propell. Yep, I don't drink alcohol. Now I just gotta work on cutting out the cigarettes and i'll be good. :S
I may not agree with what you have to say but i'll defend to the death your right to say it.

Last night my girlfriend spilled half a glass of red vine on her portable computer (mainly on a keyboard):S. (In case you wandered, she's brunette:P:P:P) I turned in off immediately, flipped it upside down and dried overnight. The laptop is dry now but it would not start.
Is there a way for fix the problem without taking it to a store?

"I dreamed I was in a Hollywood movie
This really blew my mind...":S:DB|

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

That's why complete warranties kick ass for laptops. I got mine soaked during Katrina (it was in my backpack and it wasn't closed all the way). Luckily it worked again around 3 days later, but Dell was willing to replace the thing anyways. Apparently I could drop it in a river while trying to simultaneously waterski and surf the web, and the warranty would still be valid.
A waddling elephant seal is the cutest thing in the entire world.
-TJ

thanks- I'll try ... i didn't have time to do it in the morning .. just wandered if anyone had to deal with the same problem ;)

Don't forget to take out the internal battery that keeps the clock running. They're typically the size of a quarter and accessed by removing the keyboard. Hopefully its not soldered in.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Thank you all for advice;) The idea to soak the bastard in distilled water worked amazingly well (I am currently posting from repaired laptop)

Here is a procedure for those who is interested

1) Open and remove both front and rear panels
1) Take out the following parts:
- HDD
- Battery
- CD/DVD drive
2) Disconnect the keyboard from the body of computer
3) Rinse the chips with 5L of distilled water
4) Dry for 24 hours (I wanted to use a drier to make it quicker, but the idea was denied by g/f:P)
5) Re-assemble and enjoy;);)