skyberdyber

what type of laptop to get?

OK, so our mechanic needs a laptop. Let me first state I will never buy another Dell computer. I have a lot of desktop experience and have assembled several of my own machines but ZERO with a laptop. That being said...
What brand should we purchase? I prefer less bundled junk software. Who has good customer service if there is a hardware problem? Who has a good price to performance ratio? I'd like opinions based on actually experience please, no hearsay.
Thanks in advance!

http://www.skydiveatlanta.com
http://www.musiccityskydiving.com

Do you usually use pc's or would you not mind a mac? I would go with a Sony Vaio if you like that side. I love my Vaio and it is great for editing and graphics. They have also come down in price a lot and you can always talk to someone if you need help. Plus they have a 2 year warrenty that covers anything including a dropped lap top. But the new macs are incredible. What are you used to?

"Good rule of thumb; is what you are doing the EASIEST for You? Because if it is, it ain't going to work for the people around you."

I owned a mac desktop once upon a time. Just not my thing. Everyone I know with one loves it. I'm pretty much a pc guy.
I've seen a lot of folks with sony's, but they were pretty pricey in the past.
We're kinda lookin on the cheaper side. I'll look into them though. Thanks

http://www.skydiveatlanta.com
http://www.musiccityskydiving.com

I buy thinkpads for work. They are a bit more expensive but you get what you pay for.

My laptop (main comuter) is an offbrand and it sucks. It is already falling apart ( 1.5 years old). The thinkpad I owned before that I bought 1 year used, dragged it to every class for 4.5 years in college and half a year of working after college before I had to replace it. It was slow by that point, but meh, its a laptop. I _still_ have it set up and runing as a portable linux box. The onboard mouse is dead and the screen only lights half brightness but it still works.

Think about what you are really going to use it for before wasting money on a faster processor. Speed/performance isn't everything when buying a laptop. How is it going to be used? Plugged in mostly? Carried around a lot? Weight an issue? Size? How does the screen perform in the situation he will be using it?

I wouldn't get a super glossy screen. They look nice, but not if there is anything bright behind it.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

i second the sony.......

As much as I hate Sony*, I have to agree with the others. The VAIO is rock solid. It's a bit on the pricey side but you're getting a system with top notch components with service and documentation to back it all up.

*Remember DRM scandal? and they're the publishers of Everquest.. Sony sucks ass..

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

Mac Powerbook. I wouldn't even consider buying another PC again. I have been a PC guy for years to the point of buliding them mysef. The problem with PC's is that they have the shittiest OS on the planet, unless you learn to work with Linux. Microsoft has yet to develop a OS that doesn't have gaping security and crashing issues. They you have all the non compatible programs out there, that every programmer in the world thinks he can make for a PC.

With a Mac, there are NO security issues, NO compatiability issues, NO crashes, an OS that is intuitive.

The biggest reason that people don't consider a Mac, is because they don't want to learn how to use a Mac when they have been using a PC all their life. Don't let that stop you. They are easy to learn and once you have had it for a couple weeks, you will think to yourself, why the hell didn't I get one of these sooner, they are so friggin easy to use!

------------------------------

Controlled and Deliberate.....

I have owned 3 Dells and will never buy one again.

Id say Mac as i am a Mac lover! Once you learn the OS you will wonder how you didint convert sooner! :)

What do you do when someone throws a big planet at you?
Throw your pilot chute in defense!