diablopilot

Ideas for a road trip......

Headed from Denver to NY via 80 starting next saturday. Instead of the drive from hell (4 days with a 30 foot 5th wheel at 60 mph) that it did last month via 70 my driving partner and I may want to be a bit mor leasurly about it. What is there to stop and see along the way?
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

well, i've driven 80 from utah to iowa on 80 and there isn't much.. can't remember if the world largest prarie dog is on 70 or 80 but it could be worth the detour, it's just a statue but ya know get your picture taken with it... stop along the way at a koa or something and camp out a night, have a little campfire and chill and relax out in the middle of no where...

i've driven from slc to rantoul strait through and it's no fun i feel your pain on the long drive.. i'll be doing san antonio to columbus ohio in a couple weeks. i found it is cool to stop at roadside markers and check em out to break up the drive a little....

I was going to say the Spam museum, but thats on I-90.At exit 93 in Illinois there is Skydive Chicago and a Tittie bar.B|
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

I-80 is one of the most boring drives out there. I've done Ohio to NYC at least 5 times last year. Penn is nothing but trees. There is also nothing but country stations except around one city so pack the CD's or get XM. I've driven I-80 out to Chicago also and except for getting to pay tolls in Ohio (its our only toll road) thats about the most exciting thing going. If you were coming a few weeks later Cedar Point would be open and is well worth the detour. There is a DZ in Hazelton PA thats a nice stopping point if nothing else and its only 3 miles off 80.

I-70 is about the same except its got a few more signs to watch out for on the drive. Its got more hills too. Take the wrong exit and you'll end up in Jersey or in DC.

What ya doing in NY? I'm heading up there this weekend.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Ohhh ohhhh ohhhh... Cedar Point opens this weekend

Cedar Point? That's nothing.........you should have seen the awesome roller coaster my clients were riding yesterday. :D It was hard to turn down the offer to ride with the HOT Kurdish girl that was with us yesterday though. :S

What ya doing in NY? I'm heading up there this weekend.

Working at the Ranch this season.

70 was pretty borring, thats for sure, but then I was also hearding that big ass trailer, this time I'm bringing the car.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I just can't get away from you. :D I'll be up there a few times this summer again. Make sure you give Jerm a hard time all summer for me.

Too bad you did'nt call on the last trip I live like 5 minutes off 70 and had a grill ready to fire up and plenty of street parking for that 5th wheel.

Honestly 80 sucks worse then 70. At least on 70 there are towns closer together. Keep the gas from getting too low on 80, there are quite a few spots in PA where its 10-15 miles between exits let alone gas stations. There are only like 2 TravelAmerica's on the whole 80 in PA. Fast food is fairly rare too. You heading up 79 at Hazelton to get to the Ranch?

Seriously, swing by Cedar Point. Kristi and I went up there last summer and actually wore ourselves out by riding so many rides. Max Air is cool but the coasters just rock.
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

You heading up 79 at Hazelton to get to the Ranch?

It's 81 dear, not 79;)

Eric's right, 80 is insanely boring and theres not that much interesting along the way. Except trees. The dz at hazleton is pretty cool though. If nothing else, be careful through hazleton cause theres cops a lot through that area. Oh, there is one more interesting thing about 80-the road turns red at one point. So if you are driving and think you are going crazy, you're not-it really s that color.;)

If you want a more interesting route, head North when you get to Ohio up towards Buffalo. If you have the time, hit Niagra falls! You can then follow 90 out to albany and 87 down. It's far more interesting-but it does take longer. And you can expect tolls all along I-90

*daizey*

Yes dear, you are right its 81. :P

80 is boring, 90 is almost as bad except you are paying for it as it bores you. :D 80 does have some nice valley views in PA, but Ohio is nothing but flat farm land.
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

At least you can swing through niagra falls and hit some big cities across NY so you can at least see some light on the drive ;) haha. But if you want to see waterfalls that arent nearly as huge as niagra there's always bushkill falls not far from Scranton...a little out of the way, but i think worth to see. It's a hiking trail through a segment of the pocono mountains

Oh and you go through Punxsutawney on 80 through PA. From what I understand theres some gift shops and funny things about the groundhog there:D.

Im not looking forward to travelling 80 the opposite way in a few weeks [:/]

*daizey*