hudsonderek

Difference between Icarus X-fire and x-fire 2

I would very strongly reccomend that you sell the x fire 1 if you have one. I had two friends have their's collapse and nearly killed both of them. They both had the line mod done. They both said how much they loved that canopy and how great it treated them and after that they never jumped them again. It is up to you of course, but they were absolutely surprised becasue they had no problems before. No outrageous conditions made this happen either, they just happened. The x fire 2 has a different lineset than the one as well.
don't try your bullshit with me!!!

what would cause the collapse? this thing stays more pressurized than sabres and sillouhettes i've flown. appreciate the advice, but I spent real money on this thing and plan on getting my moneys worth out of it, especially considering that everything else I've read on this canopy doesn't suggest that a "collapse" is an issue. they had fluttering issues when doing front riser turns, but those were on a specific set of serial numbers and my serial number doesn't coincide with those Icarus recalled. Basically I want to know if the plan form for the 1 and 2 are the same, or if the 2 actually modified the canopy itself. I'd like to get lighter front riser pressure out of my xfire and x-fire 2 like performance, but if the plan form is different and the differences aren't just line trim, then I'll just jump this thing till I'm ready to downsize then demo a smaller x'fire 2.

All I know is what happened to them and they had no explanation for it either. One had a clean canopy was under flight and it went back into a snivel for about 700 ft. He did not know what happened he was in full flight and not turning. The other was coming in off of a light 180 turn and it folded up at about 40 ft. and reinflated just before the ground. I also remember a 3rd guy that his just blew up on deployment. I figure if that happened to just a small group of people here then who else has it happened to. They said they knew of more instances, but not sure where to find that, just becasue it is not on the internet does not mean they did not happen. Go ahead and jump it, you may be fine, you may not. Just be aware of the possible risks. Jumping a canopy with known risks might be stupid if you mess yourself up becasue you spent big money on it and wanted to get your money out of it. If it scared them enough not to jump them again I guess my question is why wouldn't you think about it a little at least, they only almost died do to the canopy.

Each of the guys I mentioned had a ton of jumps on their's as well without any problems or warning signs. That is exactly my point, you don't know it until it happens. I am really not trying to trash on icarus because they make excellent canopies. Just know the possibilities with these problems

appreciate the advice, but I spent real money on this thing and plan on getting my moneys worth out of it, especially considering that everything else I've read on this canopy doesn't suggest that a "collapse" is an issue.

First off, go here: http://www.icaruscanopies.aero/service_bulletin.htm

Your crossfire may or may not be included in the serial number list, but you need to check before jumping it. Compliance is mandatory.

There are stories above of people who have had problems and survived... they were lucky. The original SB was issued shortly after a fatality at a swoop competition during which a Crossfire1 collapsed mid-swoop and the lady under it slammed into the pond... water helped, but it wasn't enough. We have a tree planted for her at my previous DZ. As in the other cases, she had not had any previous indication of issues, it came from nowhere.

Following the fatality a lot of people simply stopped jumping crossfires (even though they loved their performance), and the few I knew who got the mod said the performance was significantly reduced.

I believe the Crossfire2 is an all-new canopy, not just a line trim change... if you want to know for sure, you should give Icarus a call.
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

I had one of the good XF1s that was not affected by the recall, and the riser pressure was fine and the canopy flew great. That being said, I sold it to one of my good friends, who decided to have the canopy relined, and it basically ruined it. Even though it was supposed to not have the line mod done and have the best version available of the lineset, the dive loop actually cut my hand because the riser pressure was so high on a 180. I really love icarus products, and I highly recommend the XF2.

The crossfire2 is a completely different canopy from the 1. The airfoil was changed along with line configuration (attachments and trim).

It sounds as if someone is trying to pawn off a relined 1 as a 2, and it is not, they are two different canopies.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome