ConfirmsGravity

I'm new and I'm looking for a rig, what should I look out for?

I posted a want ad on the classifieds page and I'm getting some great responses. I'm in the market for a reliable rig with an AAD that has a canopy that is not difficult to maneuver.
The problem is that there are so many options and so many different types of rigs out there, that I am lost when trying to rank what will work better for me over what.
If anyone has any info on what I should look for as a new jumper, or what I should avoid I would appreciate it.
Skydiving: stuffing a car cover into a knapsack and throwing it into a hurricane

Hey Gravity,

All of us can give sound advice that will hold true for the most part. But, The PPL that will be able to help you the most will be the instructors that know how you fly, how good you land and what they believe is good. But honestly, and of the newer stuff that was made after say 2000 is good to go. I mean everyone has their preferences and they will tell you what THEY like. But, in the end you need to go with your gut
EXPECT THE WORST, HOPE FOR THE BEST!!!

If anyone has any info on what I should look for as a new jumper, or what I should avoid I would appreciate it.

avoid - any jumper trying to sell gear
what to look for - run straight to your instructor or rigger and get some qualified help from someone that knows you, can evaluate your skills and does not have a financial interest in the decision

if you don't want to do that then PM me, I have some gear to sell you that will be just perfect
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

I really like Icarus canopies I like really soft consistent openings and they give me that. avoid brand new mains (packings a bitch) and if you buy a canopy with over 500 jumps on it, make sure it's had a new line set on it recently or at least all the lines are within spec. Containers aren't a bad thing to buy new if you've got the cash. buy one that's sized for a canopy size smaller than the one you want, so you can squeeze the canopy size you like flying now in there and eventually downsize without having to buy a new container (if you foresee downsizing in the future). If you think you'll eventually start trying to free fly, make sure the containers free fly friendly. buy gear you can eventually grow into, but safely use now. there are a lot of beginner rigs out there for a cheap price, but that's all they are are beginner rigs and if you jump avidly in a years time you'll be wanting something more. I highly suggest an AAD (some DZ's require them) and if you go with those, Cypress 1 or 2 or vigils have good track records SSK industries, inc. (services Cypress AAD's in the us) has a calculator on their website to calculate the value of cypress AAD's. Look around on the classifieds here, then if you see a rig you want, do some research on it's components by looking at the gear section, post questions, etc.. Generally, complete rigs will be cheaper, and if you look around long enough, you're dream rig will become available. Good luck with your gear search, and of course you'll feel kind of guilty when you shell out the cash to get it, but all that melts away when you see that canopy open on your first jump on your OWN GEAR! blue skies

buy one that's sized for a canopy size smaller than the one you want, so you can squeeze the canopy size you like flying now in there and eventually downsize without having to buy a new container

imho, this is NOT a good idea for a new jumper for a number of reasons.

- Learning to pack zp isn't much fun; it's even less fun if you're trying to put (for example) 190 sq ft of slippery snot into a bag/container designed to hold 170 sq ft of slippery snot.

- Overstuffed rigs look like shit.

- The joys of stuffing 190 sq ft of slippery snot into a bag designed to hold 170 sq ft of slippery snot is likely to make you want to downsize long before your canopy control skills are ready for it.

- You can safely go two sizes smaller than a container was built for in the majority of container brands. By the time a new jumper is ready to go three sizes smaller than the size they first buy, they'll likely be ready for a smaller reserve and a new container.

- A container built for (for example) a 170 sq ft main is probably going to be built for an equivalent sized reserve (ie PD160ish). If you're jumping a 190 main because that's the size you are confident you can land safely every time, do you really want your first reserve ride to be on a canopy that is that much smaller than your main?

buy gear you can eventually grow into, but safely use now.

I disagree. Buy gear that you are confident you can land safely if everything goes wrong on your next skydive. It's way cheaper and a lot more fun to "have to" buy a new rig because your skills have improved than it is to get hurt because you bought something you can "grow into."

Thanks for the replies everyone. I've gotten some responses to the want add that I posted. I'm heading back to my dropzone this weekend to show my instructors the rig's specs so they can tell me if the gear is worth my money. Plus I'm getting measured and fitted for gear by a certified rigger near the DZ, and he'll be able to further help me out in choosing some good gear.
Right now I am really leaning towards the Mirage, Javelin, and Vector containers. And the saber main chute.
I did have another question - what is the latest DOM I should consider when looking at used gear? I've had a few people give me offers on gear made in the late 80's, and I'm not sure if I feel comfortable using gear that is as old as me.
Blues
Skydiving: stuffing a car cover into a knapsack and throwing it into a hurricane

I've had a few people give me offers on gear made in the late 80's, and I'm not sure if I feel comfortable using gear that is as old as me.

Container - if you plan to freefly with it, no earlier than about 1997-ish (although there were still some non-freefly safe containers available at that time). The main things to look for if you plan to freefly are tuck flaps on the main and reserve flaps and riser covers instead of velcro and BOC (or pullout if you prefer) main deployment. If you plan to only belly fly you could go with something older, but if you can afford it you'll be happier if you go with something that was built within the past 10 years.

Reserve - as long as you can find a rigger who'll pack it (some riggers refuse to pack 20+ year old canopies) and you don't load it over 1.0, a square reserve built in the late 80's will do you just fine. That said, if you can afford it you'll probably be happier if you buy something that was built after about 1990.

Main - zp mains weren't introduced until the late 80's-early 90's. You want zp.

AAD - don't buy any AAD built prior to 1995. Cypres' become paperweights at 12 years and the Cypres was the only reliable AAD being produced during the 1990's.

Container - if you plan to freefly with it, no earlier than about 1997-ish

hmmm.... I would say don't buy a rig unless you know what your getting. You can regularly maintain rigs or have them modified so where you can freefly. You can still have a low budget and be safe at the same time. I've seen old vectors and racer that have been well maintained that you can freefly in, or have freefly mods done to them.

Ask your rigger or a respectable freeflyer what should or should not buy.

Edit: heres the rig I jump. It's almost as old as I am and no special mods done.
Na' Cho' Cheese

container: vector 3, mirage, voodoo, newer infinity, wings.

What about Javelin? Someone's trying to sell me a javelin.

[I'm in exactly the same boat: getting some replies to a want ad, with no idea how to choose between the options.]
Looking for newbie rig, all components...