Hausse

Demo a complete rig

Hey everybody

I am looking to buy my first rig and I was wondering if it is possible to demo a whole rig with main and reserve.

I checked out PD's homepage and I found that I can demo a canopy but that doesn't really help since I don't have anything to put it in and no reserve.

So is there any company which would let me demo a compete rig? (I would like to try a Sabre2 170 and I don't have a clue what kind of container)

Thanks for your help

Honestly bro,

I know all companies will let you demo thany kind of main canopy and there are a few places that have special rigs set up where you can test out a reserve canopy. But, I don't think there is any company out there where you can demo a whole rig. I mean seriously if it existed everyone would try it
EXPECT THE WORST, HOPE FOR THE BEST!!!

For the most part experienced people recommend newbies buy used gear for their first rig. You skills will quickly out grow a rig appropriate for you now. My dz communities have rigs that have been sold from one newbie to the next. Usually until it's out of date enough to not be relevant.

Most recent models from most manufacturers are perfectly acceptable for a used rig. Some older but widely available models may not be appropriate for freeflying.

So what you should be demoing is the gear your thinking about buying!

Go here and read. http://www.dropzone.com/safety/Gear_and_Equipment/index.shtml

Aerodyne is the only manufacturer selling in the U.S. that I can think of that makes all three major components. I doubt they have a full rig demo program though, but I don't know.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

You can demojump whole Aerodyne rigs at boogies etc if they're there. At least, on this side of the pond you can.

Actually it can be kinda hard to demo a complete rig as everything has got to be the right size for you, I'm too small for most rigs :S

ciel bleu,
Saskia

:$Yeah, well it was late.

Strong I should have remembered because I caused the Quasar ruckus. B|

Jump Shack I try not to think about.;) But I haven't gotten used to them making canopies yet.

And North American, well if they really want to demo a Parafoil great.B|

But you are correct sir!
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

The point is that most new gear is selected component by component, kind of like stereo equipment used to be, in the dark ages.

A harness and container (H/C) brand will be selected and sized for your body and selected canopies. A reserve canopy manufacturer and size will be selected. And a main canopy type, manufacturer, design, and size will be selected. The reserve SHOULD be sized for you, the main type and size based on your experience, skill level, and desired performance characteristics, and the harness mainly for style, price and features. Most H/C's function in a similar manner. There are specific functional characteristics and options that might influence choice.

The fourth major component is an Automatic Acitivation Device. The use of an AAD is not legally or functionally required but some dropzones and/or organizations outside the U.S. require them. Not every AAD can be put in every H/C.

A parachute rigger, either local or at one of the dealers your purchasing equipment through, will assemble the equipment, inspect, assure compatibility, and pack your reserve parachtue. At the moment a reserve parachute must be inspected and repacked within the last 120 days in order to be legal to jump with. That may change to 180 next year.

Go to www.paragear.com and order a catalog. The wish book of jumpers. Be aware that not all equipment is carried by paragear, but most is. Prices are retail list, think sticker.

If you are still a student you will not be ALLOWED to jump any gear but the dropzone's gear where you are training. Where the hell is Wissota? I'm in western michigan and can't figure out where your going.

You need to spend a lot of time hanging out at the DZ and figuring out what all this means before you start ordering gear to demo.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Hey Switzerland, I demoed a Silhouette 190 on a club rig. Talk to Bob or Mary and they can steer you in the right direction.;)

Why don't you just go to the police station in a red clown suit and let everybody know what we're doing here?

I have a phobia for moobs. Thanks, youknowwhoyouare.

Swiss Miss is trying to accomplish two things...

1) Demo a Sabre2 170 and try out some different containers so he's got some familiarity with different gear (both mains and containers) when he goes to buy gear.

AND

2) Have a rig all to himself on P-Toss weekend (10/26-28) so he doesn't have to share and take turns on the club's transition rigs with all other jumpers that don't have gear yet for that weekend.

Honestly, the chances of Bob getting something before that weekend is going to be slim. I think you're just going to have to wait turns. Like I told you in email, you're lucky...we have 3-4 rigs nows. Last year we had one with four jumpers standing there wanting to jump in at times. Its just motivation to get your own gear.

Other option is to call Baldwin, talk to Kerry and see if you could rent one their student rigs for the weekend. I believe they have Sabre2's in Dolphin containers. Not sure how much Kerry would charge you. I could pick up/drop off but you would have to work out the agreement and payment with him directly.

Hey Terry

FYI

SunPath has been doing Demo tours with complete rigs for years. They have invested a ton of money doing so, having various harness and containers available to cover most body sizes. I believe they have four rigs in Europe as well still.

I personally took 12 to 18 demo rigs at a time on the road for the last 3.5 years. Hitting over 60 DZ's and events during that time? All equipped with PD canopies. Of course I retired from SP a couple of months ago.
Usually I would end my 5or6 month tour by Nov1st and the rigs would then stay in Florida thru the winter.
I would usually suggest calling Sun Path and see what they have. Occasionally we would ship systems out.

UUPT (RWS) Has atleast 4 systems, Aerodyne has a couple the last time I saw them. The Skydive Store has been on tour with two Javelin, a Mirage, Vector and a Skyhook cutaway rig. Louis Tomassy(sp?) travels with the Vortex and their line of canopies as well.

The rigs are out there, but there really isnt a "Demo" program like PD has for canopies.
It just isnt cost effective.

Larger events are the best place to find complete demos.

just thought I would share.
J

J

I did know that that sunpath often toured with demo rigs. But I think the original post was looking for a mail demo system like PD's and didn't realize how many combinations of equipment there might be.

I didn't mean to leave things out. But obviously I was brain dead when I first replied.:(

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Hi Terry

I replied to your post after spending the day helping mom out with some yard work all day. Brain must hve been fried, of couorse its easy to do with that bald spot up top:(

I realized I miss read what he was actually wanting. Well at least some folks may know where they can find stuff in the future maybe.

got your pm and thanks.

J