FlyingJarhead

has anyone ever skydived high?

im expecting some basic comments regarding this,
most being, dont ever try it, drugs are stupid, blah blah blah, i know i know im beyond that point in my life, but im curious...so if your gonna post something ive already heard or something that is gonna try and bash me dont bother, but....

has anyone skydived after smoking pot? my buddy who happens to be a stoner said he wanted to high and i didnt know what to say...

Remember that if your buddy jumps stoned, not only is he increasing his chances of killing himself, but fucking up people around him as well.
Respect yourself and the people around you.

Tom

Tom, Tom Tom, Tommy, Tom Love

There was a time when it was quite common. I know about that. Funny how the herd mentality works...even when you know in your heart it is wrong.

Not so common nowadays, I would guess...but I have no sound basis for that determination since I no longer mess with it in the sky and avoid jumping with those who do.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

There was a time when it was quite common.

Like back in the 70's

We didn't 'get' high....we STAYED high!:ph34r:

The 4 way team I was on in College was named 'Acid Rain'...
and NOT because we were 'environmentally friendly'!;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

There was a time when it was quite common.

Like back in the 70's

We didn't 'get' high....we STAYED high!:ph34r:

The 4 way team I was on in College was named 'Acid Rain'...
and NOT because we were 'environmentally friendly'!;)

Ahhhhhhhh the good ole days.
There was a guy....cant remember his name now...he usta drop a tab and go up...we used to go on the load just to watch him in the plane. He had like 50 jumps and never got past hop n pops.
The great part was he never made more than one jump a weekend because no one would spot for him and it took him hours to walk back in from the desert.
Now dont go getting all critical......like Twardo intimated........times were MUCH different then.

The guy finally quit and got his PHD. No kidding.

bozo

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

I know of several...I had a TM that got high...had no idea, this is when I first bought the DZ (he "came" with the purchase), I suspected it and called him on it....then FIRED his ass.
I don't care what they did/do on their off time or when the beer light came on...but not while they are actively jumping.
There were some that partied hard the night before and didn't get much sleep, then proceeded to jump the next day......if I could smell alcohol on them...then no jumping....but other wise they are "big boys/girls"

Bobbi
A miracle is not defined by an event. A miracle is defined by gratitude.

The other posts about it being quite common "way back when" are right. There was a time when "safety meetings" several times a day were the norm for many people. For a while, coke was really popular. So was amyl nitrite and butyl nitrate just before exit. Not everyone did that kind of thing, but you'd probably be quite surprised how many people did.

Looking back, I don't think anyone did it because skydiving and drugs were a really fun combination. It was more a case of people bringing their off-dz lifestyle to the dropzone.

At some point most people doing that stuff realized that it is absolutely pointless. It doesn't make you a better skydiver--quite the opposite. It doesn't really enhance the skydiving experience either.

As a couple of people have mentioned already, times were very different back then and I think you would have a very tough time finding someone who was there who today feels it was a good idea.

Wanna get the real scoop on it? Talk with some old timers--people who have been in the sport over 20 years. What you'll hear is a bunch of stories that will make you shake your head and wonder how the fuck many of them survived.

Walt

...you'll hear is a bunch of stories that will make you shake your head and wonder how the fuck many of them survived.

"Old Timers" with stories:ph34r:??

If ya were really there, ya don't REMEMBER a lot of it!:S

One thing I do remember~

On Acid Rain, we all had little 'sayings' painted on our helmets.

One guy had; "Blood Type B+"

Another had; "Open Other End"

Mine said; "Good To The LAST DROP"

And the REAL 'head' in the group had; "Green Is DOWN"

...He was a deaf jumper that had an IQ about 190,
but I don't think I EVER saw him not wasted.

He'd drop 4-5 tabs in the morning with coffee, the "Green Is DOWN" on his helmet was to remind him WHICH way was back to the Planet!B|

End of the day, he'd be too twisted to even WALK,
but would hop on his Yamaha 1100 and do 130mph all the way back to school....about 50 miles.

I had this old Oldsmobile Delta 88 that was both transport and my 'camper' at the DZ...

One Sunday night, Brad the deaf guy roars off the airport headed home...I stuck around another hour to finish the safety meeting.

Pretty much everyone else had left, and I'm stuck there in the parking lot trying to get the old Olds running.
She'd crank..pop..and rattle / run a few seconds then die.

Just when I though I would be sleeping in the "Delta Motel" another night...Brad comes flying back into the parking lot on his scoot...it's 10:30-11:00pm.

"Sorry man, got all the way home and realized I forgot something":)

He pops the hood on my car...spins the wing-nut and pulls the cover off the air cleaner.

Laying on the carb is a trash bag with must have been 10 pounds of 'natures finest' in it!!!:o

"Hope ya don't mind Twardo...Hid my 'stash' in yer car"

Shoves it all down his shirt and ZOOM....Gone!

I was gonna say something to him about almost 'stranding' me.....but fuck it...why bother...he's deaf!:P

Yeah....THOSE were the DAZE!:D:D:D

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Wanna get the real scoop on it? Talk with some old timers--people who have been in the sport over 20 years. What you'll hear is a bunch of stories that will make you shake your head and wonder how the fuck many of them survived.

Walt

I think getting grounded for throwing the empty beer cans behind the rear partition in the 182 cured me.
The pilot was really mad when he reported the terrible rattling noise to the AP and he in turn found the cans.
I was eenocent ! LOL
bozo

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

Yeah you know though, the drugs back then were different then the drugs these days...back then they were "pure"...now a days they are all cut with all kinds of shit.
The coke that I did 17 yrs ago is not the coke that people do today (I am assuming this)...and hell crack was just emerging when I was coming out of my fog.

Bobbi
A miracle is not defined by an event. A miracle is defined by gratitude.

has anyone skydived after smoking pot

That would be kinda interesting.... but knowing my landings (like hitting the only tree on the dropzone)... if I was high... I don't think I would find the dropzone.... and would prob. be flaring 50 ft. high...lol. No pun intended

PMS #449 TPM #80 Muff Brother #3860
SCR #14705 Dirty Sanchez #233

Once. A little. In the mid 90's.

I'd made a jump on a windy day. We were supposed to do a high-altitude load, but there was little interest and few names on the list. I decided I'd make the load if it was going, but otherwise I was done for the day.

My friend invited me for a walk behind the hangar. At this point in my life I had not been a "regular" for several years, and spent only a brief moment participating in the safety meeting. However, that small puff or two had a noticable affect on me. We returned to learn that the load had filled and we were on a 20 minute call.

On the ride up, I tried to calculate our altitude. My altimeter read 6000', to which I proceeded to add 12,000' so as to determine where we were. Happy to say I got the right answer, but I realized it was taking me much longer to compute than it should have. Exit was around 24,000'.

We did a loose, no-contact 3-way. I opened at 3000' almost directly over the landing zone, and spent the descent crabbing a bit to the side and holding into the wind, coming nearly straight down to a tiptoe landing right on target.

Wow. It was fun. No plans to do it again.

Cheers,
Jon S.