adventurechick

What do they have against sharks?!!

>:(>:( A friend just sent me some articles about fishermen catching the largest hammerhead shark.... the shark. They killed the shark!! Why couldn't they just take a picture and let the shark go? Seriously, what good does it do to mankind to kill such a beautiful animal. Deer hunting, I don't care so much about... plus deer tastes good!! But come on, why the shark?!! Why?? The shark is such a badass... we need more of em. End of rant....

PMS #449 TPM #80 Muff Brother #3860
SCR #14705 Dirty Sanchez #233

FYI - Sharks can turn commercial fishing into a very expensive hobby rather than a source of decent income. Most sharks caught in fishing gear die before reaching the surface, but I've personally killed a few that made it to the roller alive and kicking. One was pretty freaking big (10ish feet) and apparently wanted to eat me! He was so wound up in the gear that killing him was pretty much the only option.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I 110% agree.

While sharks are the closest thing to a fear I have (never kept me from swimming in the ocean, so long as a surfer was out farther than me:D--I figured the shark would eat him first and I'd have time to swim in to shore:P). I also scuba dive, kayak, you name it--even seen a shark diving.

But, they still scare me a bit. I have still, however, singed COUNTLESS petitions against shark fishing. Blues have even been known to die after they're caught & released from the trauma. FINNING is EVEN WORSE! It's terrible. People don't know how many species are now on the endangered list or extinct all together. Sometimes "man" pisses me off, too.

We'll rant together on this one:P
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

Though you know Carrie when I was at the beach last weekend...not far from where you are located, I saw two Sting Rays, a few dolphins and my girl friend swears she saw a sharks fin...this is the first time I have seen sting rays that close to our beaches...as a matter of fact, its the first time I saw a sting ray at the beach...wonder whats driving them in and if they will be bringing any "friends".

I have nothing against sharks....I just want them very, very far out in the ocean and not near me or the kids....yeah yeah yeah, we are envading their territory...but can't we all just live together??:);)

Bobbi
A miracle is not defined by an event. A miracle is defined by gratitude.

We've seen quite a few sting rays, too, but that's typical. Same for the dolphins---we see them all the time. Actually, once when Billy was surfing in a storm (I was pissed, but to his credit there wasn't any lighting that I saw) I was seated on the beach (the only idiot in the rain) with my umbrella watching him and the boys. Dolphins were out surfing with them:o. It was an AMAZING sight.

Even more amazing was one jumping RIGHT OVER BILLY'S HEAD while he was riding a wave:o:o:o

So memorable--I wish I'd had the camera, but I still see it in my head clear as day.

Anywho---I feel safer when dolphins are around, also, but truth-be-told, it doesn't mean sharks are or are not in the area. A dolphin WILL fight off a shark, but I dont' think I'll be counting on that with my life any time soon.

We kayak around and the dolphins will come w/in feet of our kayak. I LOVE it.:P

Oh, P.S.

Sharks are less likely to attack humans in clear water.

I'm assuming if you saw the sting rays, the water was really clear (It's been increcibly blue-green and crystal clear lately).

As far as we know 99% of shark-attacks happen when the shark has confused a human with some other food---typically happens when the waters are murky.

Great whites HAVE been known to attack humans for food, however:o

But a shark attack is hihgly unlikely overall:P

"As far as we know 99% of shark-attacks happen when the shark has confused a human with some other food---typically happens when the waters are murky."

This is why I stay away from "shiny/sparkly" nail polish on my pitties....I don't want a shark thinking they are fish scales....only my SO can nibble on my tootsies.:o:$;):D

OBTW, your absolutely correct, the water has been glorious!!!

Bobbi
A miracle is not defined by an event. A miracle is defined by gratitude.

Your an idiot.:|

:D:D:D:D:D:DBut cute just the same.:)
Bobbi

Well...come on.

Dolphins SMARTER than us?:S

I mean...ole Flipper maybe, but he was an exception to the rule. And I wouldn't put money on HIM!

Face it...ya really don't see a lotta Human Beans stuck in Tuna nets!:ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I have nothing against sharks....I just want them very, very far out in the ocean and not near me or the kids....yeah yeah yeah, we are envading their territory...but can't we all just live together??:);)

Bobbi

I don't have anything against sharks, either! I got a deal with 'em... They stay outa my neighborhood and I stay outa the ocean!:D

Chuck