kallend

iPods and look-alikes

There is NOTHING an iPod can do that my Samsung can't.
:P

Play video?
Run Doom?
Quake?
Duke Nukem 3D?
Back up as calculator / conversion tool?
Run almost any Linux application within reason with only a minimal bit of tweaking?

re: playing video... like what video? i know you can download tv episodes and music videos and such from itunes, but can you burn dvds to it as well? what about mpegs form the internet?

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

Here is why ITunes (or any site with DRM music) pisses me off.

I cannot modify the files. Oh sure, I can burn them to CD and then rip them back as mp3 but why should I have to jump through hoops to cut the files I bought LEGALLY.

Here are some examples:

Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf. Nearly every song contains some interlude with a damn DJ talking. I don't want to have to listen to that every time I want to hear a song. So I cut out the talking. Can't do that with iTunes downloaded music without burning and ripping.

Same thing with Incubus's album Science. The last tune is around 15 minutes. But 9 of those minutes are silence and crap. I don't want it. So I trim the mp3 file.

Same thing applies to ANY cd with bonus tracks where the bonus comes after a long pause on the last song. I cut thme into two songs.

I need the ability to easily trim the files. I just want songs dammit. iTunes (and Musicmatch) do not let me do that with ease.
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

re: playing video... like what video? i know you can download tv episodes and music videos and such from itunes, but can you burn dvds to it as well? what about mpegs form the internet?

(speaking for iPods any other than Video) You can play video on any iPod, even the grayscale ones. The drawback is that it'll have to be raw video, meaning that each minute will take up about 40-50mb, so, admittedly, it's not very practical or convenient. Very cool, though.:)

I need the ability to easily trim the files. I just want songs dammit. iTunes (and Musicmatch) do not let me do that with ease.

That's a DRM thing unfortunately [:/]

Jen

Yes. Hence my first sentence. But since iTunes is party to such madness, I hate them. :D

(speaking for iPods any other than Video) You can play video on any iPod, even the grayscale ones. The drawback is that it'll have to be raw video, meaning that each minute will take up about 40-50mb, so, admittedly, it's not very practical or convenient. Very cool, though.:)

that's why i bought a 30 gig ;)

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

There are the unfortunate people reveling blissfully in their ignorance of the hardships they have to endure with iTunes and Apple firmware

I couldnt possibly agree with you more!!
And then there are those people that buy products based on Features and Functionality as opposed to what looks best with todays outfit.:P

Why bother buying an iPod.. Changing the operating system, Tweaking it.. Finding alternate software to manage it..

Why not just buy a different Devise that you dont have to jump through those Hoops??

My Generic "Samsung Chip set" MP3 players are great. Plug them into a usb port.. Its a drive. Move files back and forth as you please. No restrictions. No hoops to jump through.. No third party software, No Playlists to maintain.

Battery dies?? Take the old out in 2 seconds, Put in new one. Battery dies in iPod.. Start researching on the web the How to sites.. Order special battery.. Void your warranty and go for it.. or send back to the factory.

Kallend, mentioned integrating it into a plane's intercom system...

Is there any advantage between the Ipod and others as far as integrating them into a car stereo?

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

a lot of car stereos (both oem and aftermarket) will let you connect an ipod and control it through the head unit interface while the ipod stays tucked away and fully charged. B|
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

... or you can get a transmitter like this and use it with any mp3 player in a car ;)

Seriously, I hope people realize that almost anything you can do with an iPod can be done with some of the other ones, for cheaper and with less hassle.

Jen
Arianna Frances

Seriously, I hope people realize that almost anything you can do with an iPod can be done with some of the other ones, for cheaper and with less hassle.

Didnt you know that ONLY iPods play POD Casts...:S
Only iPods have iTrips (FM Transmitters)...:S

PT Barnum put it best....:| Every Minute.

I had one of those till it broke. They work fine in less populated areas (though the sound quality is significantly less than a direct auxilary plug in) but in areas with many radio stations, the sound quality is crap.

But, if one does not want to buy a new stereo with an aux input, it IS a choise. Over the long term though, a new deck with an input is the way to go. And you can plug ANY mp3 player into it with a 4 dollar male to male headphone connector. :)

I've been keeping an eye on this thread. There has been a lot of "Ford vs. Chevy" talk in here but no real models or manf except Weeg with Samsung.

One thing I like about the iPod is everyone and their cousin has made after market shit for it. You can get anything you wish... makes customising etc.. pretty easy.

Now my story is, I'm getting tired of lugging my CD collection around in my backseat. IF someone decided they wanted it more then I then I'm SOL with a broken window an no music. So I've been toying with the idea of getting a removable hard mount iPod like device in my car. I'm into sound quality and massive volume soooo FM transmitter is out, so is the tape deck device (no cassette).

Has anyone used another player other then the iPod to take music in the car?

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

I've been keeping an eye on this thread. There has been a lot of "Ford vs. Chevy" talk in here but no real models or manf except Weeg with Samsung.

One thing I like about the iPod is everyone and their cousin has made after market shit for it. You can get anything you wish... makes customising etc.. pretty easy.

Now my story is, I'm getting tired of lugging my CD collection around in my backseat. IF someone decided they wanted it more then I then I'm SOL with a broken window an no music. So I've been toying with the idea of getting a removable hard mount iPod like device in my car. I'm into sound quality and massive volume soooo FM transmitter is out, so is the tape deck device (no cassette).

Has anyone used another player other then the iPod to take music in the car?

Man, did you even READ my post right above yours? ;)

And yes, I used my Dell DJ through the aux input in my rental car when I was in San Diego. Sound is the same quality as CD. You don't need an iPod to do it . The advantage that iPod has is that some decks will allow you to control the iPod through the deck interface. That is about it.

(Stuff deleted)

iTunes lets you set the start and end points for every song in your library on a song by song basis. It even respects this setting when burning your playlist back to a disc.
---
Some days it's not even worth the effort to chew through the restraints.

I cannot modify the files. Oh sure, I can burn them to CD and then rip them back as mp3 but why should I have to jump through hoops to cut the files I bought LEGALLY.

Here are some examples:

Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf. Nearly every song contains some interlude with a damn DJ talking. I don't want to have to listen to that every time I want to hear a song. So I cut out the talking. Can't do that with iTunes downloaded music without burning and ripping.

Same thing with Incubus's album Science. The last tune is around 15 minutes. But 9 of those minutes are silence and crap. I don't want it. So I trim the mp3 file.

Same thing applies to ANY cd with bonus tracks where the bonus comes after a long pause on the last song. I cut thme into two songs.

Here's how you can do that......

Get Info for the song you wish to trim, click on "Options" check the Start Time and/or Stop Time check boxes and then enter the values needed to eliminate the unwanted parts.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

(Stuff deleted)

iTunes lets you set the start and end points for every song in your library on a song by song basis. It even respects this setting when burning your playlist back to a disc.

I don't burn to disk if I don't have to. And iTunes would let you cut and burn DRM protected music? And what about hidden tracks that come 5 minutes after the end of the last song on the same track? How would I handle that when I transfer it to my player?

Yeah, you can burn DRM protected music. That's one of the things that is so great about it.

Hidden tracks that you import from a CD aren't DRM protected and tracks you buy from iTunes (by definition) aren't hidden.
---

Yes - Creative Zen Vision:M

Used it on an 8 hour road trip to VT last weekend too. Its a great mp3 player - holds video, pictures and songs. Easy to use and slightly cheaper (249 vs. 269) than the iPOD video.

Jen

Looks as though you may have just solved all my problems. B|

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

I use my iPod Mini in my Van for exactly that purpose. The iPod never leaves the van. I tried the iTrip FM Transmitter. I had two of them quit working after only a couple weeks. Also changing broadcast frequencies (Something you will HAVE to do on long road trips) was a royal pain in the ass with the iTrip.
After the second one broke, I bought a Cassette adapter. It has been working for months.

I agree that whatever you get, Hard wired is the way to go.
Monster makes Cables that plugs ANY MP3 player into a head deck that has audio inputs.
(Unfortuanately my 1993 GMC Van doesnt have those!)

Yeah, you can burn DRM protected music. That's one of the things that is so great about it.

Hidden tracks that you import from a CD aren't DRM protected and tracks you buy from iTunes (by definition) aren't hidden.

Once again. I do not burn CDs. Nor do I buy CDs. All my CDs are now ripped to my computer. Any future songs will be downloaded. The cutting and splicing I am talking about ONLY applies to tracks I BUY from iTunes. I used Audacity to cut up my Cd ripped mp3's.

I just looked it up. From what I can see, you can set start and stop points, but the file remains intact. Well, I want to actually CUT the file to remove the excess. And I want to leave it on my computer and listen to it outside of the iTunes software.

As for hidden tracks. Let me rephrase: BONUS tracks. For instance:

Atmosphere's last two albums have TWO songs on one track with a 4 minute space between the two. Now, if I downloaded this from iTunes (with the DRM they apply), how would I put this on my iPod so I could hear the songs without the 4 minutes of silence?

I've got the Rio Carbon (5GB). I've got roughly 600 songs on it, encoded WMA 96kb... I still have about 3GB free.

I'd have to look and see how many hours of music it is..but it's a bunch.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I just looked it up. From what I can see, you can set start and stop points, but the file remains intact. Well, I want to actually CUT the file to remove the excess. And I want to leave it on my computer and listen to it outside of the iTunes software.

Yes. You are correct. Only the start and end points can be set and the file is intact.

As for hidden tracks. Let me rephrase: BONUS tracks. For instance:

Atmosphere's last two albums have TWO songs on one track with a 4 minute space between the two. Now, if I downloaded this from iTunes (with the DRM they apply), how would I put this on my iPod so I could hear the songs without the 4 minutes of silence?

You could burn the song to a CD and then reimport it, thus removing the DRM and letting you edit it to your heart's content.

OR

If you really wanted to you could use iTunes to trim it before the space and burn that to a disc and then trim it after the space and burn that to a disc then you would have two tracks without the silence.

I'm not saying iTunes is the perfect fit for everyone's music needs but it's certainly not the total kluge you make it out to be either.
---