ccowden

Mountain Bikes

I am looking to get a mountain bike and was wondering if anyone had some insight. I would mainly be riding it on paved roads, paved trails, dirt roads and less extreme dirt trails. I am just looking for a good, all-around, quality bike for some easy riding and fun. Hoping to spend between $200 and $400. Just need a decent bike for not alot of money.

Any advice? Certain bikes to look at? Things to stay away from?

Hubby and I have Gary Fishers.... we love them! Do mostly paved riding.... bit have taken them around the mountains a few times and loved them!

edited to add: clip pedals are a must! and ours has cushioned front suspension that is adjustable. Love that too!

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

I know it's not a "good" brand, but I really like my Diamond Back Sorrento. Mine's 13 years old and has a couple thousand miles on it. I'd buy another one.

They still make 'em; I think they come with front suspension nowadays.

Personally I prefer Specialized bikes. The design of their frames fit me better then anything else I've ridden.

They have a pretty badass setup with a Hardrock model that would suit your riding.

With that said, go to a few different bike shops and ride a handful of different models and makes in your price range. Just stay away from Huffy's and Wal-Mart bikes.

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?sid=06Hardrock
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I recently picked up a Trek Mountainbike for 250 it would have cost me 300 if I got the front suspension shocks. It has an aluminum frame.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

Hubby and I have Gary Fishers.... we love them! Do mostly paved riding.... bit have taken them around the mountains a few times and loved them!

edited to add: clip pedals are a must! and ours has cushioned front suspension that is adjustable. Love that too!

What she said. I've had my GF Aquila for 8 or 9 years and still dig it.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

My gf and I just bought some new bikes. I chose the Marin Stinson just for the reasons you described. I've loved it, it's comfortable, and rugged enough to do lite off pavement riding. Has a nice gear selection. All round decent riding bike.

I paid $390-400 I think at Sun n Ski Sports here in Houston.

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

Personally I prefer Specialized bikes. The design of their frames fit me better then anything else I've ridden.

They have a pretty badass setup with a Hardrock model that would suit your riding.

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?sid=06Hardrock

Ditto to that. I have one and love it!
Breathe out so I can breathe you in...

So, is it safe to assume that most "bigger name" manufacturers have entry level bikes that would suit me fine for that price range? I am just staying away from the Wal-Mart type brands?

Good assumption! Now go to a good bike shop and really learn about the components and differences.:)

That I couldn't answer for you exactly. Best thing to do is go to a store that sells Specialized and have them tell you. You can test ride them and find one that works best for you.

I really like the Hard Rock because you can ride it on the road, but you can also keep up with your friends on *most* off-roading/trail rides. You won't find yourself 4 miles deep with a broken bike.

I highly recommended GF as well.... just don't lock it to the railing and have it stolen like I did... [:/] Someone obviously thought it was a pretty cool bike to steal (my railing is now in two pieces).

When I look to replace it, GF will be my first choice.

g
"Let's do something romantic this Saturday... how bout we bust out the restraints?"
Raddest Ho this side of Jersey #1 - MISS YOU
OMG, is she okay?

If I was looking online, what size frame would be good for me? I am 6'1" and have a 35" inseam.

Probably a 19 in a Specialized, you'd need to go size one up, though. Someone in the shop will help you with that. You want around 3-4" of space between the top tube and your "equipment."

For under $300 I picked up last season's Trek when the new models hit the floor. It worked out for me, as I preferred the color scheme on the former model. I added clipless pedals and a few other goodies and I am very happy. A big selling point for me was the lifetime warranty on the frame. For me, that makes a Trek a good foundation to build on as you grow as a rider.

YMMV,

Zipp0

--------------------------
Chuck Norris doesn't do push-ups, he pushes the Earth down.