everymansaved

Three Housings on Left MLW??? (Not SOS)

Okay, everybody pull out the 07-08 Paragear catalogue and look at page 21, the ad for the Icarus Neos. If you look closely at the jumper's left MLW, you'll see three housings going between the mudflap and the chest strap. As far as I can tell, only one housing exits the chest strap, or at least that's all you can see. You can also only see one cable going into his pillow handle, and it's quite hard to tell colour, but it looks silver to me. What the heck are these housings for? I find it unlikely that someone jumping what looks like about an 80 sq. ft. canopy would be using a SOS system, but I guess it could happen. Is this some kind of set up for a three canopy system for testing new wings? Perhaps a rig that used to be SOS and still has the housings in place? Any other ideas, or better yet, facts? Thanks all!
God made firefighters so paramedics would have heroes...and someone can put out the trailer fires.

I don't know, but if it helps any I think that photo has been reversed.

I don't think so...the chest strap is threaded through the 'right' way, and the camera is on the 'right/correct' side of that particular helmet.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Most side mount cameras are on the left side. Also unless I'm mistaken thats a Javelin with the thin chest strap, their buckle is on the right side of the body.

What you are seeing is the light shining off the stainless steel chest ring that makes it look like another cable housing. See attached picture for correct orientation.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

If you pay attention to some ads and pictures in skydiving, and parachutist you will see that they don't always reverse the negative of a picture.
The last one that really caught my eye was a skydiver with an emmy award in hand, if you looked the words were backwards on it.

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.
Pelt Head #3

they don't always reverse the negative of a picture.

They reverse images very often in all kinds of magazines. It often helps keep the reader's eyes flowing around the page the way they want. For example, pictures of moving objects are usually oriented so they look like they're moving ONTO the page, not off of it. So if they want a picture of a plane on the far left hand edge of a page, they'll want it flying to the right. Sometimes they have to reverse pictures to get what they want, which looks silly when they leave in details that make it obvious.

Dave

Well, I can dig that the pic may be reversed, but I'm not sure about the chest ring thing. I'm not sure if you have a PG catalogue with you Phree, but in the orriginal (much harder to tell in the scanned version), it seems to me that you can make out the "ribs" on the cable housings.
God made firefighters so paramedics would have heroes...and someone can put out the trailer fires.

I'm with Phreezone. The whole image is choppy in my catalog. The jumpers nose and face as well as the risers looks like they has ribs like a housing. I think it's just a problem with a low quality picture in the ad.

At first glance I was thinking housings for a tertiary canopy, but after looking closer I think it's a chest ring.

I see what you're saying, the whole pic looks really "liney." My mind just isn't seeing a chest ring though, weird.

Mine is, Phreezone is correct.

Agreed.

I think it's a chest ring, and I still think the photo is reveresed. Most PC style cameras have the flip out screen on the left side, causing most people to mount them on the left side of the helmet. I'm not positive on this but most rigs I've come across have the buckle on the chest strap on the right side of the container, with Racer being one exception. Also the chin strap fastex clip is on the wrong side of the helmet from normal.

I have WAY too much time on my hands.:D
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.