FlyingJ

Rafting - Atlanta vicinity

Hey Atlanta folks,

Suggestions for best experience whitewater rafting in the Atlanta vicinity (2-3 hours)? Kind of a last minute thing. A bunch of family will be converging on my folks place up there next weekend and we are looking at a rafting trip on Sunday.

A few have done it previously, will be a first time for the rest. Would be more interested in a harder/guided trip than an easier/unguided trip.

Any suggestions appreciated!

j.
Killing threads since 2004.

Head north into south eastern Tennessee (Cleveland) for a trip down the Ocoee River, it's a class 4 (used in the Olympics in 96) but very manageable. It's almost a straight shot up I-75.

www.ocoeerafting.com

If that fails, try heading up to Hiawassee, GA, pretty lakes, boats to cruise around in, etc.

edit to add: having done both activities, I recommend both equally. It's beautiful country too. B|
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Cool thanks. That's what I suggested to my sister who is planning it, but I wasn't sure of what other options there might be.

I planned three rafting trips while in high school up there and go figure, I got pulled over w/ significant ticket fines to pay about a week before each trip and had to back out every time. Looking forward to finally making it happen!

You can also consider the Chatooga River, in Clayton, GA. My kids and I went on section III about 2 years ago and we're going on Section IV in a few weeks for a family reunion. Section IV is the area that they filmed the movie "Deliverance" on! :ph34r:

If you want a good rafting company, contact the Nantahala Outdoor Center. I've used them for rafting trips on the French Broad, Nantahala and Chatooga over the years. They are a first rate company and have competitive prices. I don't have any complaints at all about the guides we've had and we've never had any safety issues arise on any of the trips. We're going with them on our next trip also.

They do the Ocoee and the Chatooga, so you can look at the website and see which one will work the best for you. Have fun!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

SkyMama is right, you can't go wrong with the N.O.C..

The Ocoee and Chatooga are quite different. The Ocoee is very close to the highway and is almost continuous rapids. It is also incredibly crowded.

The Chatooga is more of a pool/drop/pool/drop kind of a river but the rapids are still great. It's also much more of a wilderness experience. If you have a lot of newbies, go on section 3. Section 4 is a LOT more serious.

Can't tell you what the crowds are like on the Chatooga nowadays. I used to kayak it about 25 years ago. Dang!! Am I that old?

Can't tell you what the crowds are like on the Chatooga nowadays.

When we went 2 years ago it was nice, we only saw one other group the whole time we were on the river, and that was only when we stopped at the last, big rapid to scope out which way to go down. That said, I've always made a point to book on a weekday, I don't know how a weekend is going to be.
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

[when we stopped at the last, big rapid to scope out which way to go down.

That's "Bull Sluice." At normal water levels you can jump in with your life jacket just above the final drop and just zoom through without a boat. It's a pretty wild ride.

bull sluice is the last rapid on section 3 just before the bridge. i've rafted section 4 a ton of times but never saw anyone shoot bull sluice without the help of a raft or kayak. usually the water level was too high or too low. the hydraulics on BS seem to take some unsuspecting soul once a year or so.

i do miss the scenery up there. it's so beautiful. i lived about 45 minutes from there.

i also agree with all regarding NOC, but it's been a few years now. the last time i was there a guy named arlo was our raft guide. :D what are the chances?

whichever you choose, enjoy! should be loads of fun. take sunscreen....

p.s andrea, i think it's clayton GA...just north of long creek, SC. the chatooga is between the two towns and forms the GA/SC state line...

p.s andrea, i think it's clayton GA...just north of long creek, SC. the chatooga is between the two towns and forms the GA/SC state line...

You're right, I fixed it. :)

I grew up floating the Chattahoochee (yeah, I'm an Atlanta native). Just grab a truck innertube, head up Northside Drive till ya cross the river bridge into Cobb county and turn right. There is a nature preserve just past the bridge where you can park, and jump in the water, it's a slow float and scenic as hell. I've been doing this for over 45 years and it's really nice.

TripleF

"Upon seeing the shadow of a pigeon, one must resist the urge to look up."

I grew up floating the Chattahoochee (yeah, I'm an Atlanta native). Just grab a truck innertube, head up Northside Drive till ya cross the river bridge into Cobb county and turn right. There is a nature preserve just past the bridge where you can park, and jump in the water, it's a slow float and scenic as hell. I've been doing this for over 45 years and it's really nice.

TripleF

That's about 10 minutes from where I grew up. Can't tell you how many times I did that as a kid. We used to have a blast leaving mom and dad in the raft and all "running" down the river when it was shallow enough to do so.

I heard from a friend that used to work for the national park service up there that it's nowhere near as popular as it once was. I hadn't thought about it until he mentioned it, but I don't recall seeing the droves of tubers and rafters "chutin' the 'hooch" that you used to. Too bad!

j.

Just the other day I was like how come nobody tubes down the hooch. I mean up north it's nothing but tubing and drinking in the summer down the rivers. I guess people don't much like ecoli or something though. The hooch isn't exactly the cleanest river anymore.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

You can also consider the Chatooga River, in Clayton, GA. My kids and I went on section III about 2 years ago and we're going on Section IV in a few weeks for a family reunion. Section IV is the area that they filmed the movie "Deliverance" on! :ph34r:

If you want a good rafting company, contact the Nantahala Outdoor Center. I've used them for rafting trips on the French Broad, Nantahala and Chatooga over the years. They are a first rate company and have competitive prices. I don't have any complaints at all about the guides we've had and we've never had any safety issues arise on any of the trips. We're going with them on our next trip also.

They do the Ocoee and the Chatooga, so you can look at the website and see which one will work the best for you. Have fun!

We used Fast River Adventures when we were in Andrrews last year.Smaller company and real nice folks.

I grew up floating the Chattahoochee...

You must be easy to spot in the dark...that green glow gives you away every time...
:D:D:P

Mmmm...green glow. And to think it's a primary source for drinking water! Nothing like a good 'ole glass of Chatahoochee Punch!

Agreed. I spent many great summers tubin' the hooch & catching snakes. There are much more impressive rapids up north. We would start at Morgan Falls & shoot to Paces Ferry, with a layover at Diving Rock. It was such a blast. I miss those days & my city. ;)