Icon134

Traditions in eating...

Ok... prompted by two of my food threads... chilli and sweet (quick) bread... I've learned that there are historical traditions to how these are eaten/made...

i.e. chili doesn't have beans (although I like them so I'll probably keep adding them... :P)

and sweet bread shouldn't have anything "spread" on it... :D which is just crazy talk... :P

I'm just curious if there are any other interesting (or odd) food traditions, etc... that anyone knows...

this isn't by any means limited to American traditions... the rest of the world is welcome to Chime in as well... B|
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

If you enter a real official chili contest, you can't have any beans or chunks of vegetables in it. Just beef and the sauce.

also, if you make margaritas, make them with fresh squeezed lime juice, not that lame-ass mix crap.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

also, if someone gives you a bottle of homebrewed beer, pour it into a glass first. Don't just swill it out of the bottle.

The brewer worked hard to get the aroma, color, & clarity a certain way & if you just swill it from the bottle, you're just being rude.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

It is a southern thing and my entire family puts salt on their watermelon and canteloupe, too.:S

Ya'll are nuts.

And yes, fresh ground black pepper actually brings out the flavor in strawberries---ask any Chef. Of course, I'm FAR from a chef---but I eat a lot of great food.:P
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

fresh ground black pepper actually brings out the flavor in strawberries---ask any Chef.

I thought that was champagne that brought the flavor out in strawberries :S
"His dick is ringing!" Female Skydiver

"Well...answer it!!!" Male Skydiver

Salt goes on:
Watermelon
Cantelope
Honeydew

Sugar goes on:
Strawberrries
Peaches
Blueberries

Blueberries go in:
Waffles
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

---but I eat a lot of great food.:P

So do I. Sushi being my favorite expensive meal. Although, I still have a soft spot for Ruth's Chris.

Even with my (more expensive than average) tastes, I still love fresh watermelon and shaker of salt. Well salt or vodka that is... B|

Goudha is for Buddha, and that's good enough for me!

I don't know about tradition, but people who put salt on their fruit annoy me.>:(

:P

But, pepper on strawberries is OK.;)

Here in San Antonio, we put chili con limon on fruit. It's veeery good. Especially on hot days, which is pretty much every day.
L.A.S.T. #24
Co-Founder Biscuit Brothers Freefly Team
Electric Toaster #3
Co-Founder Team Non Sequitor
Co-Founder Team Happy Sock

So do I. Sushi being my favorite expensive meal. Although, I still have a soft spot for Ruth's Chris.

Ruth's Chris is the only place I'll eat steak (filet)--b/c it's just too good to say no.;)

And I always use soy/wasabi on my sushi (We go once or twice /week).

I LOVE salt and salty foods.

But, again, salt on fruit???:S Ya'll are nuts!:P

Cheese & apples together are yummy, though.

Peanut Butter and apples, too.

Cheese & peanut butter are salty, but it's different than putting salt directly on the apple.

And that's my story...:)

Cheese & apples together are yummy, though.

Peanut Butter and apples, too.

Cheese & peanut butter are salty, but it's different than putting salt directly on the apple.

And that's my story...:)

so... the impression I'm getting is that you don't like salt on your fruit... got it... :P:D:D
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Ruth's Chris is the only place I'll eat steak (filet)--b/c it's just too good to say no.;)

Not a bad choice... but for me it is the bone in ribeye! Medium Rare of course... with a side of creamed spinach! mmm mmm good :P

And I always use soy/wasabi on my sushi (We go once or twice /week).

I always love seeing the newbie sushi eaters watching me mix up my wasabi and soy sauce in the soy sauce dish. Of course 9 times out of 10 I hear mumbling then them following suit. Damn... Now I am craving some Toro, big time!!! B|

Goudha is for Buddha, and that's good enough for me!

Mustard and pickle relish should not be added into the ingredients of any kind of recipe...they should only adorne hot dogs or hamburgers!!

Pickle relish and mustard added to tuna or potato salad is just plain craziness!! Eeeeew gross!!

Bobbi
A miracle is not defined by an event. A miracle is defined by gratitude.

Iced tea is iced tea, dammit! If I wanted peach tea or raspberry tea or lemon tea I would ask for it. (Lemon tea is usually ok, but it's still irritating when I ordered iced tea.) If I want sweet tea I'll add the sugar myself. It's tea, chilled, with ice. How hard can that be?>:(

Matt