DSE

Rigger power tool

Are you refering to a crank bar and plate design? There are a few of those designs out there including one that uses a ratchet design and another that is a plate with a bar holder on it. Is that what you are refering to?
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Are you refering to a crank bar and plate design? There are a few of those designs out there including one that uses a ratchet design and another that is a plate with a bar holder on it. Is that what you are refering to?

The one I'd seen is a plate, slot cut in it for the reserve closing loop, with either a crank or bar w/arm to roll back the pull up.

CSPA has frowned upon "power tools" since the early 1980s. ... something about cracked stiffeners, dented grommets, etc.

Recently, a rash of cracked Vigil cutters has been blamed on "power tools."

Same damage, different decade.

Bottom line, if you need a power tool, you also need more lessons in how to close reserves.

Hint: try slipping an old B12 snap onto your molar strap, then wrapping it diagonally around your shoulders so that the B12 snap hangs in the middle of your chest. This style of "packing hook" allows you to feel how tight the container is, minimizing the risk of damaging reserves.

Bottom line, if you need a power tool, you also need more lessons in how to close reserves.

I don't need my power tool to close reserves, but I sure like having my power tool to close reserves. I know they're controversial, though.

I think it's a matter of prudence and judgement, and testing pull force.

At least one major US rig mf includes a power tool in its reserve packing instructions, and a very prominent, long-running US rigging course lets the students use one to pin reserves (i.e. for the last flap.)

What's a 'molar strap' ;)? Just kidding!

To the OP: Do you have access to anyone with a machine shop who could make one for you? That way you can get it made to your own specs.
Mine's titanium and was made by a skydiving friend.

Peace,
D

I don't need one. It's a gift for a master rigger. I'd showed this to him one day when he was showing me how to pack a seat rig, and he pointed out how nice it would have been for seating the pins on the seat.
I'm not a rigger yet, but thanks for the pointers.;)

I had to pull that ad temporarily because I sold every one of the all-stainless tools that I made. I've got another batch in process, so they'll be available again very soon.

Hopefully you'll see feedback here from the riggers who have bought them. I am convinced that damage to rigs will not be an issue with this tool, because it gives you almost perfect control of the pull force. My tools have already packed numerous rigs during the development process without any excess force problems.

It's all a dream I dreamed one afternoon,
long ago.

The Master rigger that received this for his birthday was pleased as could be. His first comment was "Damn, why haven't I thought of that?" He then went on to give me a lesson in positive force devices, and why they've been frowned on for so many years, and explained that today's rig manufacturers are building rigs that can easily withstand the small relative forces applied with this sort of a tool. He immediately used it on another seat rig, and was tickled that he could do it without asking someone to come help with the second pin.

Awesome.

Seat rigs can certainly be a challenge ....

Best,
Dawn

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hah!
The average seat pack (Butler, Softie, Strong, etc.) is half as tight/has half the pack density as the current fashion in sport reserves.
Anyone who NEEDS fancy tools to close seat packs, would be better off investing in a gym membership!
Hah!

Hah!
The average seat pack (Butler, Softie, Strong, etc.) is half as tight/has half the pack density as the current fashion in sport reserves.
Anyone who NEEDS fancy tools to close seat packs, would be better off investing in a gym membership!
Hah!

But ... but ... there's no freebag B|:)
I repeat: I don't need 'fancy tools' (or anything other than pull-up cord/temp pin) to close reserves, but I do like my tools when they make the job easier, and the final result better for my customers.

I have several seat packs that I maintain for my customers. It's not the closing/pinning of them that I find challenging ..... it's those pesky snaps afterwards sometimes ;).

If anyone out there has a 'rigger seat pack snap-seating tool,' I'd buy one in a heartbeat :D.

Peace,
Dawn

I guess I've never understood the resistance to using improved tools. Is it just a matter of "I had to do it the hard way when I learned, so everyone else has to do it the hard way too!"?

At the same time, I really wish that the creators of manually operated devices wouldn't use the word "power" when naming said devices. With every other type of tool or appliance, "power" implies the use of some outside power source, like electricity.

Now if you want to see a real power closer, check the attached.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan

Bottom line, if you need a power tool, you also need more lessons in how to close reserves

I guess I need more lessons.

Hint: try slipping an old B12 snap onto your molar strap, then wrapping it diagonally around your shoulders so that the B12 snap hangs in the middle of your chest. This style of "packing hook" allows you to feel how tight the container is, minimizing the risk of damaging reserves.

I can feel how much pressure is being applied to the closing loop with my tools. I can also apply a tremendous amount of force with a B-12 hook. The closing device is easier and I have yet to damage anything with it. Why work harder? Oh ya, I threw away my molar strap years ago. I can pack much neater without it. There is more than one way to skin a cat and everyone else's way isn't wrong.

Derek

Derek -

Thanks for that.

.... I admit, this thread had gotten my dander up :S.

It's true that in my first few years of rigging, we saw a lot of rigs come in with broken stiffeners, and bent closing loop plates. I know for a fact that most of these were due to the brute use of force and had nothing to do with using tools.

IMO, the tools we judiciously use make for better, tighter pack jobs with pull forces within limits (we use Dave De Wolf's "pull Check" to test them.) The rigs look better, reserve deployments are as clean and safe as we can make them, and - BOTTOM LINE - we are not damaging the rigs in the process.

I'd hope that every rigger out there is trying to make rigs safe, tight, snag-proof, and over all make sure the reserve will deploy outside the burble,and save the person.

To me, whether or not you use tools to effect this result is immaterial .... as is arguing about tool use with riggers who have thousands of saves ;).

You're right about the seat packs, I do many of them (its actually ~50% of my work), but it has taught me about technique. When I started Strong 304's were beating me up, but now I've got to be careful that the pull force is not too low. All in pack/fold technique.

As to tools, well, no I don't NEED one... but I occasionally use a simply closing loop lever (paragear) as it takes the pressure of my lower back (doctor's orders... he doesn't dare/bother telling me to stop jumping/rigging ;)). But I also make routine use of pull force tests.

Had I used the tools early in my rigging, I would never have learned to clean up my work and would likely still have marginally high pull forces (or worse).

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

Edit to say that most of the Vigil plactic opener damage we've seen has been due to temp pin damage immediately over or under the grommet. Its been delicate yet REAL.

Hard to say how this would be the reult of power tools per se. Most riggers i know don't try to force delicate things like AADs.

if you want to see a real power closer, check the attached.

I'm the worst sucker for gizmo's on the planet ("wannahave is my middle name") so I just have to ask:

How much for the "power closer" and does it come with adjustable tension? :)

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

They're too much trouble for me to make and I don't have detailed plans, but you're welcome to copy the design. The 3/16" aluminum for the base plate, 1/2" plastic for the frame, and motor/worm-gear assembly (windshield-wiper unit) are from eBay, the switch is from Radio Shack (momentary DPDTCO), and the 14.4V battery is from a drill/driver. All held together with countersunk 1" deck screws and gaffer's tape. Tension is a matter of how long you hold the switch down.

The unit is less powerful than a manual torque-tube unit, so it shouldn't be any more likely to cause rig damage than any of the other tools out there. In other words, it's not a substitute for good packing, it's just a time and labor saver.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan

You clearly need more lessons on closing reserves. ;)

That's a Pretty cool tool.

Your assessment quoted here

Is it just a matter of "I had to do it the hard way when I learned, so everyone else has to do it the hard way too!"?

Seems quite accurate. I was resistant to leverage devices for a while but gave in to save my arms and back. I've tried the B-12 set up and a simple leverage device is easier for me. A certain 109 pound rigger I know isn't about to quit using a leverage device anytime soon either. There are several good riggers in this area and I'm nearly certain they all use leverage devices.

Tools are made to use so use them wisely. Feeling the tension of a closing loop is not an advanced science.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto