MF42

World cup shenanigans

I'm venting my angst.

So I understand that I'm in a very small minority when I say that all professional sports are silly. That's ok, I have a few exceedingly silly hobbys too. I've been patiently waiting through World Cup reports for quite some time now, because it's a necessary evil if I'm going to keep track of what's going on in the world. Hey, sports fans need love too, I'm not going to begrudge you the attention from like-minded people. Hope you enjoy the games, really.:)
But it's over. Finished. Done. Don't worry, the World Cup will happen again. This wasn't the last one.

What's bugging me is I can't turn on a tv or radio to catch some news without hearing endless emotional squabbles and speculation over what one guy supposedly said to another guy about his mother! Come on, people! I stopped responding to "yo' mama" insults somewhere around the age of ten. Why is the precise verbiage of the slur so important that it must be debated in international forums for days? It's beyond juvenile behavior, it's all the way to infantile.

So what do think, people? Am I wrong for thinking this way?

Ahhh, angst vented. I feel better now.:)

Matt

What is this world cup you discuss?

Ok, seriously, its lame. The media attention is lame. It doesn't matter if its football, real football, baseball or checkers. Media attention from the talking heads from all the attention whores is annoying. There is real news from real events that happen all around the world that deserve air time.

Side note, in the US if it didn't happen in LA or NY, it doesn't get air time, so the media pretty much sucks anyways.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I'd love to hear what hockey players are saying to each other during games.

I actually think hockey players when called for hooking tell the refs " ahhhhh your mother hooks"

That is what I tell myself, and it makes me laugh.

wait what is the world cup??:D:D:D
Skymama's #2 stalker -

I was forced to watch every freakin' game by the hubby. While I did develop somewhat of an appreciation for the sport and what good shape these dudes have to be in to keep going without any break (not to mention they are WAY hot when they take off their shirts ;)) - I was REALLY, REALLY put off by what a bunch of drama queen, cry babies they are. I mean if another player blows in someone's direction the player hits the ground grasping his knee and crying out in agony but then miraculously recovers to carry on for another 45mins.+.....to me, a lot of those players (from ALL countries) are worse than the damn NBA drama queens. I particularly got real sick of Miss, Cry Baby Reynaldo.

As for saying "yo mama" - WTF ever shit, well cry babies will be cry babies....it's just really too bad it has to take up so much time of what I learned could be a very interesting and entertaining sport if a lot of the players would just grow the fuck up and act like men.

"Excuse me while I kiss the sky..." - Jimi Hendrix

Actually, I have learned a lot from this.

I did not realize that if what one person says is bad enough, it is OK to escalate to physical violence. When playing sports, I always just put up with whatever trash talk was out there and, from time to time, gave back at least what I got. It appears that now, it is a widespread belief that if a player on another team insults you enough, you can hit him.

Brent

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com

I'd love to hear what hockey players are saying to each other during games.

I actually think hockey players when called for hooking tell the refs " ahhhhh your mother hooks"

That is what I tell myself, and it makes me laugh.

wait what is the world cup??:D:D:D

Ever notice...hockey is the only sport I can think of where the referees wear helmets.:P

Matt

all you'd have to do is give them some sharp sticks, shields and maybe some clubs and looookieee....

didnt the Romans do that centuries ago? :|
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

I was actually in Germany for the second half of the world cup and attended a game.. I think the reason there is so much media attention is that over there, "against racism" was a huge theme of the championships. The posters were everywhere and throughout the tournament, it was a message that was continually being endorsed. If indeed Materazzi insulted Zidane with a racial slur, it goes against a lot of the things the world cup stood for and it is unacceptable. Racism is totally unacceptable, be it in a school, on the streets or on a football pitch. This is getting so much attention because it happened when so many people were watching it.. it's kinda hard to ignore..