arlo

would you...?

...do this for someone you hardly know? an acquaintance? your best friend? your family?

=============================

Limo Driver Gets a Kidney From Customer
Reuters
CHICAGO (July 9) - As tips go, Chicago limousine driver Abdul Faraj got a priceless one this week when one of his regular customers offered up a kidney, media reports said.

Faraj and Minnesota businessman Dave Baker underwent transplant surgeries at Chicago's Northwestern Memorial Hospital.

"He gave me part of his body. He saved my life," Faraj, a diabetes sufferer whose kidneys were failing despite a three-times-a-week dialysis regime, told area television stations.

Baker has used Faraj, a native of Lebanon, as his driver on trips to Chicago for several years. Making small talk months ago, Baker learned of Faraj's poor health and struggle to find a kidney donor with a matching blood type.

"At that time, he tells me, 'What's your blood type?' I tell him O-positive," Faraj said. "He said, 'I'm 0-positive. I'll give you one."'

Baker is out of the hospital and expected to fully recover within weeks.

"This was an opportunity to stop, slow down, take a look around and try to help someone," Baker told local television.

...do this for someone you hardly know? an acquaintance? your best friend? your family?

Yes.

In fact, I encourage others to not only donate blood, but also register for Bone Marrow donation and sign the organ donor card on the back of your drivers license. I would be less encouraging to have people become living donors unless they truly understand the risks that they are undertaking.

My caucasian pastor, with nine children and a congregation depending on him, gave one of his kidneys to a black woman member of the congregation.

He said it was a no brainer. He had an extra, and she needed one. He only regrets that he only has one to give. That man lives his faith.
What do you call a beautiful, sunny day that comes after two cloudy, rainy
ones? -- Monday.

There are at least a dozen people (family and friends - that I love) that I would give a kidney. It would be a difficult decision to donate a kidney to a random strange because I have two children and I wouldn't want to jeapardize my life for someone that I didn't love.
Jump, Land, Pack, Repeat...

There was an editorial in a recent Texas Monthly by a columnist there who donated a kidney to a friend in another state. She'd never met her.

She said that it was surprisingly easy, and totally worth it for her.

I've been registered for bone marrow for about 10 years now...

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Already did-
Jan 4th, 2005 I gave a kidney to my friend. He was on dialysis for a year before the transplant. It was a no brainer.
Life is no different for me now and he is doing great. Should get his FAA medical certificate back in the next couple of months. (He's chief pilot/mechanic at SKydive Dallas- it would help to be able to fly! :) My FAA medical was not effected and I passed my Class 2 in March 2005.(three months after surgery)

My husband also volunteered but I was the correct blood type and he's the bread winner in our family. It is a lot easier to be a " tissue match" than people think.

If anyone wants more info on donating- PM me.
"If you're not on the centerline -you're out of control"