MarcusS

L&B Viso Problems

I had a coupe of interesting problems with my Viso this weekend, which I'm hoping is something to do with the Protektor cover (now removed!)

The first, which is a probelm I've had since new (only 30ish jumps ago), is that the speed readings are always way off...by around 100mph. It's rare that It shows me going slower that 200mph average. It's even had me doing over 280mph in a sit!

The second, which is slightly more worrying....putting on my helmet at aroud 12k, preparing to get out, I look at my Viso, which says I'm at 4.5K. Luckily for me, I'm wearing another one which told the truth. The only thing I did different was to access the viso in order to switch on the backlight as it was getting dark. I did that somewhere during climb to altitude....not that you would expect that to cause it to reset!!

Has anyone else experienced these issues before? I've now removed the protektor, as I've a feeling that this may be the cause, although 've not jumped it since.

Cheers,

Marcus.

Hi piifish,

Absolutely, definitely in feet. I checked it when the plane levelled out for the H&P guys at 5k, which I normally do, plus I checked all the settings on the ground after the jump.. all as expected. After reading your post, I thought maybe it could have had a mad moment and switched to meters for a short time, then back to feet, but it was definitely reading 4.5 at 12kft, which would be about 15kft !

Thanks anyway,

Marcus

I had a coupe of interesting problems with my Viso this weekend, which I'm hoping is .......

Hi Marcus,

Problem on Sunday, posting on Monday ?
L&B have an excellent service, I'm sure they will help you very quickly as soon as they hear something from you.

Give them a chance....it's worth it

B|

Cheers,

Kai

Hi AittecKai,

I've dealt with L&B directly before and they have been excellent, I'll have to agree with you there. Don't get me wrong, I'm not in any way trying to slate their product, I'm a big fan. I merely chose to see if anyone else had had the same problem, and perhaps had a simple fix, before I bothered L&B. If replies to this thread generally indicate that I'm unlucky enough to have a problem unit, I'll contact L&B....if however others have experienced this and the error is down to me (perhaps I've overlooked a setting, for example), there's no need to bother L&B......just testing the water, that's all!

Hi Diablopilot,

I've now removed the cover, but haven't jumped it yet since. If the weather gives me a break, I'll be jumping it on the weekend.

On the location front, it's wrist mounted. I have, until last weekend, had an altitrack right next to it on my wrist (sold that on now!) and a protrack in my helmet. Interestingly, the altitrack and protrack normally are within 3 or 4 mph of each other (set to SAS). The VISO (also set to SAS) reads always somewhere between 70 and 100 mph higher. As all 3 are L&B, I would guess that they all use the same sensor and the same algorithms. The only difference with the VISO is that I've always had it wrapped in it's cover (no cover on the others), so I'm hoping removing the cover will have fixed it. I'll let you know,

Thanks,
Marcus

I don't think it's burbling out, as I've had it right next to an altitrack for the past 30 jumps. Without fail if I get 150 in a sit on the altitrack, the VISO will read around 230. If I get 160 on the altitrack head down, the VISO will read 240-250.

It's possible I pushed something that zeroed the VISO in error when I switched on the backlight, can't say for sure.

Thanks,

Marcus

I have my viso in a protector, it is sitting next to a altitrack on my arm. They get almost identical readings.

The only problem I have had with the unit is that the back of the case was cracked. I bought it from some one on here who never used it. My guess is that it was cracked when he recieved it or before he shipped it to me because the shipping materials arived in perfect shape. I still have to take the time to email L&B and see if they can help me. The unit does look pretty flimsy compared to my altitrack but I am happy with it otherwise!
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Don't know what the 4.5K at 12 problem is, but the speedreading definetely looks like you got it set for km/h as the numbers you get from the altitrack in mph corresponds to a correctish km/h reading you have on the VISO.
You can still have it set in feet and get a km/h reading as it is a different parameter and setting.
chris

Inteesting... I certainly remember changing the units from meters to feet and checking that they were still in feet, and I thought I'd been through all the settings looking for possible solutions......however, I can't recall seing a separate setting for speed units. I guess I must have assumed that it was limked with the meters/feet setting (i.e. if you change to feet, all units are then in imperial), so you may have hit the nail on the head with that one. Unfortunately I don't have the unit with me at the moment, so I can't check. I'll let you know when I can,

Thanks,

Marcus.

Np, don't have my unit with me either but information about this was lurking somewhere back in the brain. So I brushed up memory by visiting the FM at http://www.l-and-b.dk/manuals/viso_engmanual.pdf and you set the mph/km/h directly after chosing between feet and meters. It however stores the speedreading in both formats so you lazy yanks can still get the mph reading without doing som serious calculations ;)

L&B, second best thing coming out of Denmark. First thing being carlsberg's. Hang on, make that the third best thing, there is tuborg's aswell.

chris

The second, which is slightly more worrying....putting on my helmet at aroud 12k, preparing to get out, I look at my Viso, which says I'm at 4.5K. Luckily for me, I'm wearing another one which told the truth. The only thing I did different was to access the viso in order to switch on the backlight as it was getting dark. I did that somewhere during climb to altitude....not that you would expect that to cause it to reset!!

same thing happened to me. seems to be an issue with turning the backlight on during the climb. too lazy to contact l&b.

I thought I would bring this post back up to the top...

Twice I have stuck my VISO in my jumpsuit pocket in the past month. I would have stuck an inop sticker on it, but I was flat out of those.

It has allways been on the sunset load, with the backlight turned on.

During climb the unit gets stuck at around 550 feet and dances around 590 to 510 while we are actually well over that altitude.

I can't remember if I turned the backlight on during the ground or during climb, but I think at least one time was on the ground. Maybe 50/50.

I am going to contact L&B as they are great with customer service. Mads actually sent me this Viso at a large discount after my original one fell off in freefall. Unfortunately the original one never displayed this problem, despite liberal backlight usage. :|

=P

Was the battery checked -- maybe test a high quality brand name battery?

Sometimes certain (not all) cheap batteries are somewhat inconsistent even when they seem to be full power, the power surge of turning on the backlight may have messed up the altimeter state. (i.e. brief power issue)

Just trying to cover all bases, I've seen strange things happen to all kinds of electronics when they were asked to draw more power of a sudden, especially on questionable batteries...

I have replaced the batteries after the two events, but I haven't had a chance to test the backlight with the new batteries yet. That was once of my theories, I will report back if it fixes the issue.
=P