countzero

? about harness "built for someone ??? lbs.

i am having a hard time finding a used container. all the ones i seem to find for my weight 140 lbs. are too small. and all the ones i seem to find for my size 5' 10" MLW 18 are made for people 20 to 40 lbs heavier. so how much does the weight of the person the container was built for play into it's fit? and could a harness be adjusted to fit a lighter person by the manufacturer without costing a lot?
diamonds are a dawgs best friend

For smaller people who are hard to fit I would recommend Jump Shack. They do an excellent job fitting smaller, oddly sized people. Most master riggers can resize harnesses given the right machine, and most manufacturers will adjust harnesses for you. Cost will be determined by how much of the harness you have to rebuild and what sort of construction it is. (i.e. MLW adjustment is a lot easier in fully articulated harnesses.)

You can expect an adjustment to the main lift web (MLW) to start at about $150. A master rigger with the machines and experience could handle that for you, or the manufacturer.

In reality a 20lb difference is not going to be a huge problem. 40lbs might make the harness a bit floppy on ya.

If going new, my favorite is VSE with the Infinity, for fit and comfort.

Jumpshack products often are hard to resell.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

If the MLW is correct for your torso length and the container is sized for the canopies you intend to put in it, 20-40 pounds probably isn't going to make a huge difference. If any part of the harness is too big for you it will likely be the legstraps and/or laterals (the parts that go from the bottom of the container into the MLW). Legstraps are fairly inexpensive to have shortened. Laterals are a bit more involved but not too bad.

Like others have said, a master rigger with a harness machine or the manufacturer can adjust things so that it fits you better.

And having had Jumpshack resize a couple of harnesses for me, its not hard as long as you're making them smaller :-) They did it within a week and for a very reasonable price. I am 5'1 and own Racers with harness sizes ranging from XS-1 to M-1 - all fit very comfortably and I feel very safe in the harness in all of them.

The good part of Racers is that they fit small people really well and you can find great deals on them. The bad part is that you find great deals on them because they have poor resale value. So you can just do what I do and accumulate them :-)

>why do Racers have poor resale value?

Many people don't like them; they think they are ugly or whatever. Some riggers don't like to repack them because they are somewhat unusual. The only functional issue I can think of off the top of my head is the two-sided RSL; when used with an AAD they can cause problems, and have caused one fatality. However, if converted to a one-sided RSL or removed, that issue goes away.

I had one as my first "new" rig and had good luck with it.

Bill the primary problem with RAcers is that the factory waited 12 years - after Cypres was introduced -before introducing Cypres-compatible tools.
For starters, I earned my rigger rating long before Cypres was invented and I packed a few Racers every year.
When Cypres was first introduced, I tried packing Racers according to Jump Shack's manual, but quickly concluded that I could not count that high.

Fortunately, a German rigger explained ghost loops to me and I used ghost loops cheerfully for a decade before Jump shack started giving away free ghost loops.