McBeth

What does Unknown mean...

It means the phone company is unable to identify the number the call is coming from... if someone were fucking with you and blocking their number caller id would say "caller id blocked"
The only naturals in this sport shit thru feathers...

when it comes up on my missed calls list?

Is one of you fucking with me :P

Sorry mistress v2.0
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Unknown for me is often someone calling from a business, or a telemarketer, or using a calling card. It's pretty rare, though.

If the caller's not leaving a message, then it's obviously not important enough that they need to talk to you.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Damn... I missed a telemarketer how sad... so when do we find out if MadJohn is stuck here?

Believe the decision on whether it'll be a short or long layover will be in the early evening.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Its really me !!! Of course if you knew who I was it would say my name instead!! :)

Say my name, BITCH!!!

Comes up as Private on my phone... so what could unknown be? Out of the country?

"Unknown" means that your ID (cell phone?) system is not receiving the number from the calling party's system. It could be someone calling you from work (some PBXs block outbound ID), or someone calling from a rural area.

"Private" usually means the caller is witholding their outbound ID from you.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Private is a blocked caller ID. I doubt it's a telemarketer. They can get seriously jammed up if they knowingly called a cell phone. Having said that, if you recently had a landline ported over to your cell, it takes a little while for it to hit the FCC's list of numbers the telemarketers should not call. My guess is; it's someone you know with a blocked ID and they figure since it was chit-chat - they'd just call you back.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

some calls from federal goverment locations will register as "unknown"

places like prisons and some other secret places, might be an inmate dialing a wrong number
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

telemarketers? thank god for the federal do not call list.. now if only i could get that working on email too