ntrprnr

With new terror plot - Rigs on planes in US? Betting no?

All:

Headed out to Eloy tomorrow... should I just say screw it and FedEx my rig?

This sucks. Stupid terrorists.

Person in England interviewed by AP said it best - "Eight Hours without my iPod? The terrorists really HAVE won."

So I'm guessing it's not even worth it to try and carry it on, huh? And no way I'm checking it...

That leaves FedEx?

There goes my plans for jumping when I arrive tomorrow. :-(

Now here's where USPA could step in and work with the "Homeland Insecurity" bozos to help get rigs through the check-in process undamaged.

I would advise to never let your rig out of your sight on air trips...carry-on, or, 3rd-party shipping in advance to be there when you arrive but then you may be having to deal with Customs which could be even worse.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

All And no way I'm checking it...

why not ?

YOu'd trust those clowns? If they do fuck it up or lose it (entirely likely in a non-standard situation like this), they'll pay at most a couple hundred bucks.

"That's nice, twatchops, but what about the other $6,000 I'll need?"
cavete terrae.

From Continental's site.

Good lord - the prospect of six, eight, or more hours without my laptop or something else to amuse the ADD in me actually gives me chills...

Current as of Thu., Aug. 10, 2006 5:00 Central. Information is updated as it is received.

For all flights to, from, and within the United States
The Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security has determined that there is a high risk of terrorism against U.S. civil aviation, and the need for extra restrictions to assure the security of air travel.

On instruction from the Transportation Security Administration, Continental Airlines advises customers that no liquids or gels are permitted inside the sterile area through the screening checkpoint or be in accessible baggage or on one's person except:

Baby formula, breast milk, or juice if a baby of small child is traveling
Prescription medicine with a name that matches the passenger's ticket
Insulin and essential other non-prescription medicines
In addition, customers may not bring liquids and gels purchased inside the sterile area onboard the aircraft. Examples of liquids and gels include beverages, shampoo, suntan lotion, creams, toothpaste, hair gel and items of a similar consistency.

These measures apply to all scheduled and charter flight operations that depart from and operate within the United States and its territories and possessions.

All passengers are advised to travel light. Accessible property should have minimal clutter to expedite the screening process.

Passengers should check-in as normal, but should expect longer processing times at the airport.

Continental Airlines regrets any inconveniences caused.

For all flights departing from the United Kingdom
Continental Airlines advises passengers that no items of hand baggage can be carried on board any aircraft departing any UK airport. The UK Government has advised that this instruction will apply to all airlines operating from UK airports.

Passengers may only take through the airport security search point, the following items in a single (ideally transparent) plastic bag:

Travel documents essential for the journey (eg passports, tickets and visas)

Pocket sized wallets and pocked sized purses plus contents (for example money, credit cards and identity cards). Handbags are not permitted.

Prescribed medicines essential for the duration of the flight, except in liquid form unless verified as authentic.

Spectacles and sunglasses, without cases.

Contact lenses, without bottles of solution

For those traveling with an infant: baby food, milk and sanitary items essential for the flight.

Keys (but no electrical key fobs).

Every other item must be carried in customer’s checked luggage.

No electrical or battery powered items including laptops, mobile phones, ipods, remote controls etc can be carried in the cabin and must be checked as baggage.

Passengers are advised to check-in as normal but to expect delays at all UK airports.

Continental Airlines regrets any inconvenience caused.

Continental Airlines will not accept for travel any customers not complying with this Government instruction.

From Continental's site.

Good lord - the prospect of six, eight, or more hours without my laptop or something else to amuse the ADD in me actually gives me chills...

Current as of Thu., Aug. 10, 2006 5:00 Central. Information is updated as it is received.
On instruction from the Transportation Security Administration, Continental Airlines advises customers that no liquids or gels are permitted inside the sterile area through the screening checkpoint or be in accessible baggage or on one's person except:

What's scary about this is that when you think about it, it means they've created explosives in a purely liquid state - one that you could put in a coffee cup.

Otherwise, I doubt they'd be too worried about us bringing our bottle of Pert Plus onto the airplane.

So every VW, Audi, BMW, Mercedes Benz, and Porsche owner is fucked.

no need to travel with your keys... ;)

No, certainly not :S

When I first got my car, it was one of the first cars with a "switchblade" key, and the security guy accidentally hit the button and almost didn't let it on the plane. "Ok fuckwit, how do you reckon I'll drive home once I get there?"
cavete terrae.

So every VW, Audi, BMW, Mercedes Benz, Bugatti, Bentley, Rolls-Royce, Seat, Skota, Lamborghini, and Porsche owner is fucked, since it's 1 unit.

It simply says they're not allowed in accessible baggage or on the person, so your car keys go in your suitcase and in the hold. Not great, I know, but that's the way it is.

Nick
---------------------------
"I've pierced my foot on a spike!!!"

So every VW, Audi, BMW, Mercedes Benz, Bugatti, Bentley, Rolls-Royce, Seat, Skota, Lamborghini, and Porsche owner is fucked, since it's 1 unit.

It simply says they're not allowed in accessible baggage or on the person, so your car keys go in your suitcase and in the hold. Not great, I know, but that's the way it is.

Yeah, I'd rather fedex it. I do not check anything except clothing, ever. Certainly not my keys if I drove something expensive, with a tag right on the luggage with my address. "Hey, if I take this key, I can get a free Lamborghini at this address!"
cavete terrae.

Yeah look what happen to one of our own Dz.commer with his camera gear. STOLEN!! I would never ever check a rig.

Actually I'm planning to get one of these for transporting my camera stuff then carrying on my rig when I fly this winter.

The pelican Cases can be locked and they have foam for shifting protection, etc...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

The pelican Cases can be locked and they have foam for shifting protection, etc...

TSA requires that all locks can be opened by them, unfortunately.

sure... but at least then I know who has stollen my equipment... i.e. who will be replacing my Camera stuff... :| and I can have them do it in front of me... I really don't mind waiting in line when 1500-2000 dollars worth of Camera equipment are at stake...

Their locks apparently meet that requirement. The thing that concerns me though is that if TSA can open them, so can the baggage handlers most likely.
cavete terrae.

soon we will all be traveling nude in a sterile clear tube.
>:(
I think I'm through with commercial travel until they find a better way to handle this as it just isn't worth the hassle.

What the fuck is wrong with mankind when all he wants to do is kill everyone?!?!?!:S:S:S

soon we will all be traveling nude in a sterile clear tube.
>:(
I think I'm through with commercial travel until they find a better way to handle this as it just isn't worth the hassle.

What the fuck is wrong with mankind when all he wants to do is kill everyone?!?!?!:S:S:S

I'd love to claim that I'm giving up on commercial air travel, but even with the hassles, it's still a damned sight better than driving all over the place, or when I go home, swimming.
cavete terrae.

Peter,
Fireflytx got on a plane at 5:30 this morning. She carried on her rig. They were more concerned with her shampoo and makeup than her rig. No problems with that at all. Have fun and carry on your rig, just don't take any bottled water with you or coffee.:P

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Their locks apparently meet that requirement. The thing that concerns me though is that if TSA can open them, so can the baggage handlers most likely.

Sure... but if I understand the TSA regulations properly then the baggage handlers don't have access to these locks... which means that the TSA can't blame the airlines... :|