Vegan owners and their pets

met a few people who did that.

One of them lived out in the country & didn't want to feed the cat anything that had died cruelly, so no meat.

The cat didn't much like the hippy veggie pseudo-cat food, so it would just nibble a little of it. Then it would go outside & kill a mouse REEEEALL slow! >:(

A friend's roommate in Hawaii was a veggie & made his cat eat veggie too. I don't think that cat looked right. Its belly was kinda swollen unnaturally.:S

cats are carnivores, dammit! leave your BS politics out of it, I say.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Don't know. But I'm a vegan owner. Keep a few caged up and throw carrots at them from time to time. They make good pets. :ph34r:

How do you stand the smell?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Some do.

I do not.

I believe in the food chain, naturally, but eat vegan a lot of the time for other reasons. Thus, imo, it would be wrong of me to force my animals to also "take a stand" with me.

But, they definitely don't get as many animal products as others' pets. My cats' food is all wild caught seafood. My dog's food is is mostly vegetables & rice, but has salmon. Our bagel shop gives him ham all the time as a treat >:(:P and he gets milkbone biscuits from others. From us he gets peanut butter treats and he loves soy cheese (soy is actually used in a lot of pet foods).:)
For the record: I'm only vegan part of the time, vegetarian part of the time, and occasionally omnivore.:P
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

Some vegans are such b/c they believe we should not eat meat at all.

That is not why I eat vegan a lot of the time.

Virgins!:S Have to explain everything to them...:P

Edit: OK, I can see where you're confused...:P The statement can be ambiguous. I only love ambiguity when one meaning is dirty.>:(:D I shall think of another way to word it...

For the record: I'm only vegan part of the time, vegetarian part of the time, and occasionaly carnivore.:P

Thank god for the smilie. Because this does not make a damn bit of sense. :D:D

I thought I was the only one who thought so. You're either vegan or you're not. If you're not, you're an omnivore.

Not really. You are either one who eats plants, one who eats meat, or one who eats both.

Just because one meal does not contain meat, does not make you a vegetarian. Likewise, if you eat only meat for another meal , you are not a necessarily a carnivore.

Welcome to the world of omnivores. Because that is what you are. :)
My hat takes no batteries. I see you don't know your foil hats very well. Figures. :P:D
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

:|

It could be correct...but I edited my chosen use of carnivore.

This, however, I disagree with:

You're either vegan or you're not.

[:/]

Your meal at the time can certainly be vegan, but that does not necessarily make YOU a vegan.

Not really. You are either one who eats plants, one who eats meat, or one who eats both.

I'm so disappointed in your categorical limitations.

:P

Not everyone fits into such boxes so easily.

I never eat pig---haven't since I was 11.
I eat steak maybe twice/year.
I have chicken maybe once every other month.
I eat only wild-caught fish.
80% of my diet is soy/vegan based.

That definitely puts me in a different category than your average sausage & egg breakfast, burger lunch and steak dinner people.

I have no name-brand store products in my house---all household products are animal-friendly.

I could go on...:|

Your meal at the time can certainly be vegan, but that does not necessarily make YOU a vegan.

I never claimed to be.:|

For a long time I was strictly vegan. By your logic, however, once I had my first bite of meat after 5 years I can no longer say I was ever vegan or vegan "part of the time" as I previously stated.[:/]

cats are carnivores, dammit! leave your BS politics out of it, I say.

That's right, Cats are pure carnivores and their gastrointestinal tacts are designed to break down high quality protein (i.e. meat) to utilize for energy and maintanance and can deal with organic matter such as cellulose and hemicellulose only to a very limited extent.

If you feed your Cat vegetarian food and it has no other source of nutrients, it will die eventually, so don't do it. If you think its cruel to kill for food, then get a hampster.

I never claimed to be.:|

What? You said you are vegan part of the time. Look. Just accept that you made a mistake and we can move on to your next mistake. :ph34r:

Which is great, and I commend you for that. The main reason I'm a vegetarian is not because I think it's wrong to eat meat, it's because of the harmful environmental effects of a society that eats way too much of it. If everyone were like you, I'd eat meat too.

However, as far as definitions of words like "vegan" and "vegetarian" it doesn't put you in a different category. One is not defined as such based on how much meat one eats, but by one's willingness to do so at any given time.

If you sit down to eat a meal and there is meat on your plate and you will eat it, whether once a day, once a week, once a month, etc, you are not a vegetarian. You are an omnivore.