jumpjunkie2004

Have you ever bought anything from an infomercial?

A long time ago (before my brain was fully developed), I ordered something from an infomercial.

The product claimed that it could remove any spot. I had a huge stubborn spot on my carpet and I had tried everything.

I was so excited when it arrived. I immediately took the product out of the package, read the directions and went to work on removing spots. I was surprised when the carpet spot disappeared. However, in a matter of minutes, the spot came back! Grrrrrrrrr!!!!

So, have you ever ordered something? What'd you get? Did it work?
Jump, Land, Pack, Repeat...

No, but i've thought about it. As much as i know there's no way in HELL that those electronic things that you stick to your abs will ever help you build muscle, i've thought about ordering one just to see :$:D

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

o... I can't say I have...

Obviously, your brain has always been fully developed : )

I doubt that but I didn't have the money to spend on infomercials before it was developed.

(I do get a kick out of those make money quick, "No Money Down" infomercials... :D every time I see one I think... "Yeah, I bet you (Ron Carlton, et al) are making all kinds of money... with your 'system'."
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I haven't bought straight from an informercial, but I have bought products in the stores that I have seen on tv. Have you seen those blue dryer balls? I actually bought those and I must say they really do work! They shorten the drying time and I don't have to use fabric softener sheets anymore.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I did the same thing... bought from the store instead of the commercial. It is less expensive that way.

It was one of those rotisserie appliances. It worked so well that I had to give the thing away. The food tasted too good. I was overeating. :D
What do you call a beautiful, sunny day that comes after two cloudy, rainy
ones? -- Monday.

I've bought three things and been varying degrees of happy with each:

1. A real ceramic flat iron - LOVE IT!
2. Bare Minerals - LOVE IT!
3. "Zumba" - a Latin-inspired workout video. It was pretty fun, but the thing that annoyed me was that the guy didn't know how to count music. You can't just start an 8-count wherever you want, believe it or not. :D

I just bought The Bean. It was my first infommercial purchase. I saw it on tv early one Saturday morning and had to have it. It's supposed to work like the exercise ball in strengthening your core muscles without straining anything.

I don't know if it works yet. I've had it a week and still haven't opened the box. I blame the alcohol I consumed the night before for this purchase - damn slow metabolism. :D

I'll have to look and see if they have the blue dryer ball you mentioned.

They're in regular stores too, I've seen them at Wal-Mart and Linen's N Things. They're only about $10.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

sometime around 1989 I ordered The Great Wok of China: a hand-hammered Wok advertised on a long infomercial.

I still have it & it works great & I still use it just about every week.

I can make a great chinese-style stir fry using chicken breast or beef and hot chilis, onions, and garlic, and whatever veggies I have, plus a little stock or boullion. Served over brown rice

Not only for stir-fry: a round-bottom wok also works GREAT for popcorn because all the un-popped kernals roll down into the hot oil, so they ALL pop!B|
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

I'm not completely sure if it counts as a true infomercial;
I bought something called a "floor-whizz pro" which is a tile floor cleaner that apparently can do windows too.
Basicaly a cylindrical rubber-composite thing between two rollers that allows it to absorb water and then squeeze it out.
I quite like it actualy, inexpensive and certainly better than what I was using before.

I've never purchased anything from one, but I helped make an infomercial for Guthy-Renker once. They had a product that would put waves into a woman's hair and they wanted to prove the waves would stay in no matter what.

They hired an out-of-town female skydiver because she had the right hair type, but she wasn't very experienced. We shot it in California City and it was windy enough that I was concerned for her. I tried to talk the director into making it a tandem instead, because of the winds, but he wouldn't even think about it. "They give me a list of shots to get, "he told me, "and if I don't come back with them all, it's my ass."

I basically looked after her gear and jump mastered her in plane. But she did better than the product did and they shot two endings. One was the real one, and I must say after landing her hair didn’t look too bad. But then they touched it up and shot it again. I had to sign something so I can't tell you which ending they used.

The infomercial ran for a few months and it actually generated some student starts around the country where it aired.

To answer the original question, someone must be buying this stuff; Guthy-Renker alone does $1.3 Billion in annual sales . . .

I've always wondered, with the dwindling number in jumpers, why USPA doesn't make their own infomercial. Maybe not so much a hard sell aimed at students, but an overall 30-minute look at the sport. A little narration – to dispel a few myths – and some music and we'd be beaten them off with sticks at the DZ. It would cost a bundle to produce and air, but it would be the best money USPA ever spent . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

The product claimed that it could remove any spot. I had a huge stubborn spot on my carpet and I had tried everything.

Not that this has anything to do with an infomercial, but for those stubborn stains, use SPOT SHOT from now on. I swear by that stuff. Removed cat urine, cat puke, oil, blood, and yes, even Big Red out of my carpet... I have since moved and still have a can handy for "just in case" purposes. Oh, and I no longer have cats...

"I had a dude tip his black cowboy hat to me after I provided him with a condom outside my hotel room at 3-something in the morning." -myself

We have stores here called "As Seen On TV."

I've never bought anything, but it's fun to go in and check out the items in person.

I'll have to look and see if they have the blue dryer ball you mentioned.

Unfortunately I have to admit I have the blue balls also....:o:o
Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes clean to the bone!

I like to start my day off with a little Ray of Soulshine™!!